Reply To: What are we missing for a Batman forever table

Dark
    @dark
    vipMemberContributor

There are a few factors that motivate authors to take a table on, one of them is a desire to make it better some how.  Many contributors including myself have taken many projects on because they thought they could improve it some how.  In life you have to choose your battles,  if it takes pros like flupper and knorr roughly a year per table you can bet that they aren’t going to want to spend that year on a table they aren’t really interested and or a table with poor resources.

I have a similar attitude as bord, particularly in regards to my current vpx collection.  I used to have hundreds of tables in the VP9 era leading into vpx but after a certain point in vpx’s life I decided vpx tables were consistently better than vp9 tables in all regards.  So I ended up redoing my entire collection based on quality of tables.  This meant I had to disregard a number of tables that I liked but I felt they were too dated to fit in with the rest.  Some tables aren’t worth re-building or making in the first place unless it’s worth while to you, case in point Joust would have never….ever….been made in VPX due to 1). poor quality artwork  2). lack of interest  and 3) such an obscure table,  but I really wanted it done to play on my cocktail table (selfish) so I made it happen.

I’ve said before,  it’s like the old field of dreams slogan “If you build it they will come”  except in our case it’s resources and it’s “If you find them they will build it”.  Batman forever isn’t the most popular table but it’s by no means a bad table, it has some interesting elements but with so many negatives piling on it, it’s not very appealing to build.  BF is lacking resources, lacking general interest and would require a lot of work.

I want to point out the VP resource section of this site.  When this site first started randr took feedback from me for organizing files and resources on this site.  I wanted to build a 3D resource section in vpf originally but Paul never came through on that so when randr started up vpb I wanted us to get off on the right foot.  However with that said I feel the section is under utilized.  We have a lot of useful 3d objects/packs available there and it’s growing but there’s only a handful of play field/plastic scans.  The VP resource area on this site really should be full of play field scans and plastics.  For a long time the practice has been simply to rip resources from other (approving) author’s tables.  I never wanted any of my models to get locked to a table because the author didn’t allow modding so I’ve tried to upload my models for download for future use as well as make it abundantly clear that my models are always freely available.

In conclusion I would like to encourage people to upload their table resources to vpb to really start making a virtual pinball resource library.  I always imagined this site as the safe haven hub for collaborating authors and that’s what (to me at least) separated it from other sites.   So whether you are just an end user an artist, a table author or what ever, if you have something that could be useful to the community, upload it, make it available and you never know when someone might be inspired.

This site’s relies on everyone’s contributions to be great!

3dcreation

3 users thanked author for this post.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?