Reply To: Star Light (Williams 1984)

The Loafer
Participant
    @theloafer

I had the luxury of testing this near the end of the build phase and Bord had done another excellent job here.  This is such a unique table and I mean that in a good sense.

Let’s get the obvious out of the way: There are many pins that don’t end up beyond the final testing phase and if I had to choose between this game and Space Shuttle, I totally get why Williams chose SS over this game.  But that doesn’t mean this pin isn’t well designed, and it certainly has some unique features and like any well designed game, the more you play it the more enjoyable it becomes.  My favorite features:

• separate lane change button (might not be a must but it is unique and fun to use)
    • the two-ball multiball
    • the many different ways to trigger the extra ball
    • the SKILL required to get the X bonuses (it’s not just hitting the upper lanes like most pin of the era, you have to aim to different parts of the table
    • tracking the top 4 high scores, not just one high score!
    • the merging of the star rollovers with the dual lighted top lanes
    • the constellation progression (gives a feel of more modern “modes”)

Probably most of you never had the opportunity to play this game in real life and now, with Bord at the top of his game, we all have a chance to partake in a rare gem that ends up being a really fun game, a worthwhile addition to all our VP collection.

Thanks Bord and all authors/contributors who keep giving so much to our hobby. Also a special thanks to real pin owners like Honey Badger.  People like him and others on Pinside who’ve contributed play an important role that lead to tables released like this Star Light, and in turn make VPX into more than just a pinball simulator; it also allows each of us to travel through a virtual museum and enjoy gifts that could be lost forever.

The story on how I got the pics? That’s still for another day ;)

1 user thanked author for this post.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?