1440p 144hz question

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    iwantchipz
    Participant
      @iwantchipz

So first time putting a computer together and just want to make sure these components can run 1440p at 144hz on this 32 inch monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNDK2XG/?coliid=ISVEE1NHQYQ6M&colid=1X5KDSH0X2JZC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost) CPU Processor
      • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI 6GB GDDR6 Video Card
      • 8GB DDR4 3000

Ive searched the forums nonstop for quite a while but still can’t find much on 1440p. Do you think I will run into problems trying to run this set up? really looking for a high frame rate but wondering if I would be better off just sticking with 1080p 144hz for a screen this size. this is my first build and would appreciate any input, thank you!

TNT2
      Participant
        @tnt2

I would imagine there are some better experts here than I but I recently got a 144Hz monitor so figured I would chime in. I have

i7 4790k

Nvidia 1080

16 GB RAM

and run at 1440p on a 32″ monitor. I find that tomshardware guide usually give a pretty good idea of where your video card will rank per the hierarchy.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I can run most tables at good frame rates but other games I cannot run at 144Hz without lag. Generally for that framerate at 1440p the recommendation is for the upper echelon cards like in the Nvidia 2000 series. As always YMMV. I think in general you are probably going to want at least 16 GB of RAM.

Hope that helps.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Drybonz
        Participant
          @drybonz

My monitor is a 1080 144, and I have a 1660 gpu with an i7… so I can’t confirm directly, but since the 1660 benchmarks just under a 1080, I would say that I would be right around TNT2’s setup, and would guess that you would be fine.

Mike DA Spike
          Participant
            @mikedaspike

I still have a 40″ 60hz tv in my cabinet (normal body). Runs on 4k and noticed that on fast ball movements,  the ball looks disappearing.  No lag or frame drops, so wanted to look for a better monitor with higher hz, but all good tv’s are bigger than 40″ and monitors are not 16:9 anymore. Anyone has a good suggestion?

TNT2
            Participant
              @tnt2

My monitor is a 1080 144, and I have a 1660 gpu with an i7… so I can’t confirm directly, but since the 1660 benchmarks just under a 1080, I would say that I would be right around TNT2’s setup, and would guess that you would be fine.

I should add, VPX is fortunately highly customizeable. So you could always tweak the settings and you could get it to work ok.

iwantchipz
              Participant
                @iwantchipz

thanks for the help you guys, I appreciate it!

Astroboy
                Participant
                  @astroboy

I’m glad there’s a thread on this topic because I was also finding a lack of info on 1440p 144hz for VPX. I wanted to know if it would be a viable solution for getting a better resolution on a larger (27 to 32″) screen, while having super smooth framerate — and then what sort of CPU and GPU would support it?

Is 1440p 144Hz worth the difference in cost? Or just go with 4k at 60Hz at a larger screen size?

iwantchipz
                  Participant
                    @iwantchipz

yea ive pretty much found nothing on this subject and have been searching nonstop for about a week haha. I picked up a PC with these specs:

.AMD Ryzen 5 3600

.16GB Memory

.NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER

.500GB SSD

also picked up an LG 32GK650F-B 32″ QHD Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate…I guess we’ll see how it goes. If I can’t run everything at 1440p im fine sticking with 1080p and having a high refresh rate. Ill post some results once everything is up and running.

TNT2
                    Participant
                      @tnt2

Should be a great pinball rig.

Astroboy
                      Participant
                        @astroboy

@iwantchipz  So any updates yet? How are things running with your set up? I’m curious to know what kinds of frame rates you’re getting with VPX with the 1440, and how things are looking and feeling overall.

hlshure
                        Participant
                          @hlshure

Hey guys. So I’m in a similar boat. About to purchase a 27″ playfield monitor and I can’t decide between 2k @ 144hz or 4k @ 60hz. How much difference will I notice in Virtual Pinball (VPX and FX3) between 60hz 144hz? At 27″ how much difference is there really between 1440p and 4k?

I appreciate any feedback you guys have. I’m only about a month in so this is all new to me.

I

GrbJimmy
                          Participant
                            @grbjimmy

I think I can help you guys, I’ve just spent the last 3 months experimenting with 4k verses 2k.  In my opinion 2k with a high refresh rate is the way to go.  Once you get used to 120 or 144 hz you can’t go back. The ball just moves smoother and looks way more realistic.  My current rig:

I5, GTX 980ti, 16MB Ram, playfield monitor is an LG 32GK850

I run at 120HZ, Gsync off, VPX Fps Limiter at 1.  Every table looks great and runs very smooth

I play a lot of real pinball, the higher refresh rates are immersive and realistic, 60hz just reminds you it’s a video game

JC

3 users thanked author for this post.
                            ph349397
                            Participant
                              @ph349397

I think I can help you guys, I’ve just spent the last 3 months experimenting with 4k verses 2k. In my opinion 2k with a high refresh rate is the way to go. Once you get used to 120 or 144 hz you can’t go back. The ball just moves smoother and looks way more realistic. My current rig:

I5, GTX 980ti, 16MB Ram, playfield monitor is an LG 32GK850

I run at 120HZ, Gsync off, VPX Fps Limiter at 1. Every table looks great and runs very smooth

I play a lot of real pinball, the higher refresh rates are immersive and realistic, 60hz just reminds you it’s a video game

JC

Thanks for that info.

I’m tempted to blow a ton of money on a rig that can do 4K at 120hz (or higher).  Take a look at this YouTube, it’s INSANE:

TNT2
                              Participant
                                @tnt2

RTX 3090? Damn. That’s definitely cutting edge.

ItchyRobot
                                Participant
                                  @itchyrobot

I think I can help you guys, I’ve just spent the last 3 months experimenting with 4k verses 2k. In my opinion 2k with a high refresh rate is the way to go. Once you get used to 120 or 144 hz you can’t go back. The ball just moves smoother and looks way more realistic.

I am currently researching to build a 32″ table too, and this is the same conclusion I came to. 32″ 120/or/144hx is the sweet spot in my opinion.

I think going with higher frame rates over resolution is especially better for smaller screens. I could see wanting to have 4K resolution for a larger 43″ screen, but not for a 27″ or 32″ screen. 4K on a 32″ screen would unnecessarily tax your machine more for an unperceived resolution bump at that screen size. This will also allow you to spend less money on the graphics card, theoretically – though that saved money may be moved over to the TV since those extra hz are not cheap either =).

I would go 1080p 60hz for the backglass though.

spike148
                                  Participant
                                    @spike148

I have a ryzen 3600 and a gtx 1060 on 1 of my machines and it will do 70-100 fps at 4k. I imagine your 1660 will be just fine.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?