3D TV or VR ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ashram56
    Participant
      @ashram56

Good evening,

Now that my mini pincab is almost complete, of course I feel the urge to build something bigger…

And among the questions I’m asking myself for the new configuration, I would like to know from those who have built one, which recommendation would you have for such a setup with regards to 3D

Is it worthwhile to invest into a 3D TV (4k for non 3D tables), with Kinect style headtracking, compared to VR ? I have already a VR setup, and the biggest downside in my opinion is the ease of use and the low resolution at regular viewing distance (lot of aliasing).

Comments from those who do have a 3D setup would be highly appreciated

Thanks and regards

Gwen
      Participant
        @gwen

For a cabinet, honestly, I would recommend forgoing the 3D and go with a nice 4k computer monitor (not a tv).  If you really want 3D, I’d say go with a VR headset.

Gwen
        - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

Ashram56
        Participant
          @ashram56

Thanks for the response. Already tested VR, I was pondering about 3D… That said, hard to find a 40″ 4k/3D display nowadays…

Regards

gtxjoe
          Participant
            @gtxjoe

VP doesn’t support Kinect head tracking. If you are talking about BAM with Future Pinball, I don’t think that requires a 3D TV.

Do they even sell a 40” or 43” TV that support 3D? I thought they stopped making them

The Loafer
            Participant
              @theloafer

I believe there is a way to get bam to work with vp, but it may need FP running in the background.  Bam was added to VPVR exe not too long ago but I am unsure how it’s supposed to be used

LynnInDenver
              Participant
                @lynnindenver

Do they even sell a 40” or 43” TV that support 3D? I thought they stopped making them

And I’m not even sure the 3D would work with the monitor in portrait, even if they still make the TVs with 3D. I would suspect it’s set up with landscape in mind, and even if you can get it to work in portrait, it would involve having to put with “new table, have to edit the POV to match my cab”.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Ashram56
                Participant
                  @ashram56

Apologies for my late response, I was travelling

I did test BAM+Kinect, the result was average as it does not really work that well when you have two eyes :-) (yep, it works way better when you close one eye, as one other use found out on another forum)

That said there are many VR tables being released now, plus FP has native support, so I’ll go the VR route with a regular 4k display.

Just wondering how to convince my wife that “darling, I swear this 43” 4k pincab is not  that much bigger than the 27″…” :heart:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?