3DF Zephyr Free, make 3D models from images to use in VP

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rascal
    Participant
      @rascal
      MemberContributor

I started checking out this program called 3DF Zephyr Free. You can download it here.

https://www.3dflow.net/3df-zephyr-free/

The free version allows for 50 images to make a model, and all these models I made were with 50 or less images. I used photoshop to mask the background on the images I took only leaving the object that I wanted to make into a model. The program is capable of doing its own masking. On the site there are video tutorials on the best way to take pictures and how to use the program. I was able to export the models out of the program as .obj files with a single texture image so that it could be used right from Zephyr straight into VP. For someone like myself who is not an expert 3D model maker, this program is awesome. I made the following five models myself and put them into a display VP table (attached). I also made a short youtube video of the table running for those of you who do not want to download the table. I think this program has some viable uses for VP in the future. If we can get real table owners to supply us with the images we need, we can probably make any model we need with this program.

Anyway, I’m starting this thread to start interest in this program and to see other peoples models and to possibly get people to take some photos of pinball toys to make models. You can see, with the right images these models turn out very nice.

Attachments:
      bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

Really slick! Lots of great applications for something like this. I’m thinking I could use stills from some drone footage I took to model buildings that I have a full 360 flyaround for. Thanks for sharing.

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Years ago I made all the monster bash models this way basically but I’m sure it’s much improved since then but even back then it worked great!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

Dark
            @dark
            vipMemberContributor

I’ve optimized models made from images with this method, not sure about recent methods but before the issue with them was the poly count is too high.

The next problem is always trying to make the model still look good while dramatically decreasing poly count, it’s the same with 3D laser scanners.  You can set lower poly for the scan but without making it high poly to begin with it won’t capture all the fine details.  In order to get the best of both worlds what needs to be done is making an optimized/low poly version of the model and use projection mapping with the high poly version to ‘bake’ a normals bump map as well as any other maps you want to render out using the high poly model as a base (specular/glossiness/AO/shadow etc).

Unfortunately I don’t know of anything off hand that does this for free, however with ZBrush, and some research it’s not too hard.

3dcreation

1 user thanked author for this post.
            rascal
            Participant
              @rascal
              MemberContributor

What is an acceptable poly count for models in VP?

BorgDog
              Participant
                @borgdog
                MemberContributorvip

billion

rascal
                Participant
                  @rascal
                  MemberContributor

I’ve done a few more models and did more to the display table. I made a batman and joker model from video that was on youtube. Karlor brought this video to my attention and it worked out perfect for making the models.

I also made a model of myself which could have turned out better, but it was still fun to make. You be the judge, but I think I look like Duke Nukem’s older and heavier brother.

Attached is the table, if you want to download and check out.

Attachments:
                  rascal
                  Participant
                    @rascal
                    MemberContributor

Got my cheap turntable display and I made the cabin and the polar bear models using it. Made the models from video. I think the cabin turned out the best so far, so much detail.

bord
                      @bord
                      MembervipContributorModerator

Cool. That cabin looks really good!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?