4K Tv Recommendations?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    bb
    Participant
      @delt31

I’m back in the virtual pinball cab game!  Got a nice widebody with a 46 1080p samsung that fits well.  It’s williams size (maybe an inch wider) – but I’m thinking of replacing the tv with a 4k.  I have the GPU and CPU for it (GPU is 1070ti).

Problem is no 4k 46 inch tvs and 49 is likely too big.  Solution is prob to drop to 43 inch and fill in the gaps (prob not that bad since only 3 inches smaller0.

Any suggestions for a 4k tv that will do well with visual pinball?  I was going to check rtings.com but figured you guys who have built 4k already have this in the bag!  thanks!

The Loafer
      Participant
        @theloafer

A lot of people on the facebook VP pages seem to love a particular Acer model, the 430K I believe.  I’ve not tried it but the one I just bought that I’m extremely happy with is the Samsung NU7100.  This TV is known as one of the better for lag (which is very important).  However some say there’s a bit of motion blur but since it’s on the ball, I don’t think it’s anything bad.   In every non-4K category (deeper blacks, response time) it beats the LG 1080P I had in before, so I’m not just happy but pleasantly surprised.  Got it on sale $200 off too so that didn’t hurt but here in Canada, regular price is $700 CND, so unsure of what it sells for, or even if that particular model is available wherever you live.

CarnyPriest
        Participant
          @carnypriest

A lot of people on the facebook VP pages seem to love a particular Acer model, the 430K I believe. I’ve not tried it but the one I just bought that I’m extremely happy with is the Samsung NU7100. This TV is known as one of the better for lag (which is very important). However some say there’s a bit of motion blur but since it’s on the ball, I don’t think it’s anything bad. In every non-4K category (deeper blacks, response time) it beats the LG 1080P I had in before, so I’m not just happy but pleasantly surprised. Got it on sale $200 off too so that didn’t hurt but here in Canada, regular price is $700 CND, so unsure of what it sells for, or even if that particular model is available wherever you live.

The Samsung is the one I’m looking at. It’s now about $400US. At 40″, there is not a lot of choices. The Samsung or a couple of third tier Chinese no-names. I don’t have much cash currently, but I’m probably going to have to jump on it as I don’t know if anyone will continue making 40″ after this year. 43″ is too large for my cabinet. Need to replace a 39″. Also dedicated monitors will cost more than a TV.

bb
          Participant
            @delt31

thanks.  It’s too bad there is nothing b/w 43 and 49 – 49 is just a little too big.  I’ve heard this one is good too (monitor):

Philips BDM4350UC

The Loafer
            Participant
              @theloafer

Yeah, Samsung make both the 40″ and 43″ I believe for the same model.  I got the 43″ but I would have loved a 46″, would have been perfect for my super sized Atari Widebody cab.  I’ll take what I got, an entire 1″ larger than my LG 1080 which was 42″, BIG difference! (not really LOL).

When I measured, the 49″ or 50″  (can’t remember) of the same model fit in my cab, the problem was the flipper contacts would touch the case.  After mulling over a way to get it done, I reminded myself I also used other pinsims in the pincab and not all of them resize to whatever I want so ergo… 43″ is better than 49″ in this case.

bb
              Participant
                @delt31

here’s the question now – is 4k worth losing 3 inches?  46 1080p or 4k 43?

I don’t think a lot of the tables are 4k yet but i guess even the old ones would look better at that resolution?

Thalamus
                  @thalamus
                  ContributorMemberModerator

For me going 4k. There is no way I can consider going back. Have had the same monitor all the time in my cab but not being able to run at 4k before the GPU upgrade to 1080.

bb
                  Participant
                    @delt31

thanks.

I’m now down to the following.  If you can believe it this LG has lower input lag than the monitors!  It’s 11 vs 21.  The philips has 22.  Response rate though – the monitor is 5 while the LG is 11.  I can get the LG for 300 while the monitor is 530.  I feel like I might have to get the …..LG?

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/41b6743e4

ACER 43ET430k

LG 43UK6300

Thalamus
                      @thalamus
                      ContributorMemberModerator

That’s the thing. Don’t trust the manufacturers data sheets. You have to find someone that has actually tried it for gaming. I don’t know that site and I’m not looking for a new monitor so I don’t crawl the market on what is good nowadays. Of course. TV’s are getting better on all aspects. But, they all used to suck for gaming, even though their data said they wouldn’t.

My advice. Look around for someone that has actually used it for gaming. OR find somewhere to test it before buying.

Cameron
                      Participant
                        @cameron

4K is totally worth losing the inches.

There is a movement going on for 4K conversions and some things (if you use the Zen tables) look much much better in 4k

22 is still pretty good for lag…. 11 is pretty slow though on response time… could be problematic for motion..

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-UM-ME0AA-001-ET430K-LED-Monitor/dp/B072BL5QK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537904510&sr=8-1&keywords=ET430K

has been harder to get these days. I have ordered 2 of them and they both were smashed in shipping. They are rumored to have burn-in issues of some sort, but other than that are well-loved.

I’m thinking of trying to order one again…..

That LG is a great price and has HD support….. def. interesting…. Need to research that one a bit. I think I would lean towards the LG.

The Loafer
                        Participant
                          @theloafer

Def worth losing the 3 Inches.  I’m with the others, once you go 4K on your playfield monitor, you won’t go back, it’s that damn good.

good advice above too, don’t trust datasheets, trust some of the known review sites.  The Acer really does have it’s fans, but I’ve not tried it but it seems to be a solid choice.  I can’t speak for other TV/monitors, I speak only for what I’ve tried and that is the Samsung model I mentioned earlier. There may be better choice out there but one reason why I went with it is that it had gotten really good review score on input lag, overall positive performance for gaming.

Do your research and if possible, buy from somewhere that has a good return policy. If you don’t like it, send it back and choose something else.

bb
                          Participant
                            @delt31

Thanks – I’m still reading reviews.  Apparently LG doesn’t have the best picture and I’m wondering how much 11ms will feel compared to the monitors super lower 5.  Flip side monitor does have much higher lag which could make the flipper delay feel worse….

EDIT – I think I’m going ACER.  LG is tempting though!  Right now it’s 373 but you get 100 from dell gift card….I just get concerned about the response time and although it’s basically 200+ more, I might go for it….

CarnyPriest
                            Participant
                              @carnypriest

You won’t know anything for sure unless you look in person. And then you won’t know if it performs well with YOUR particular hardware until you take it home. And then what are you going to do? Keep returning TVs until you find something that is absolutely perfect? Keep asking randos on the internet? Look at professional reviews from people that get shipped pristine sets directly from manufacturers instead of what you can actually find in a store (similar to car magazines getting totally not stock cars with souped up suspensions and engines for tests)?

Just spend all the money left in your account on some Samsung, LG, or Sony and then don’t look back. That’s your tip for the day.  B-)

bb
                              Participant
                                @delt31

So I went with the LG – hearing too many stories about burn in and that 21/18 input lag on the monitor was getting to me (flipper delay).  I’m sure they’re all good though….will report back when it’s all installed.

Cameron
                                Participant
                                  @cameron

I’m actually getting the LG to try out as well…. Don’t have a cabinet for it, but want to compare it to my 32″ 4K Acer Predator (which has been awesome).

I’ll let you know in a couple weeks. :)

-RpT
                                  Participant
                                    @rpt

I went for the Acer ET430K in a standard Widebody as recommended by BambiPlattfuss in his build log. Certainly no regrets here – from reading a ton beforehand i think it’s definitely going to be worth the upgrade to 4k even if that means you need to fill a gap each side (I just used some right-angle shaped wood skirting pieces inked so they are black which sit down each side of the monitor).  My logic is that the jaggies from a 1080p display are going to be far more immersion breaking than some side trim is, especially with all the LEDs etc going off during the game, but it’s a bit of personal preference here…  :good:

oaksh
                                    Participant
                                      @oaksh

having spent around three weeks looking up the capabilities of the human eye I found this and think it has a real bearing on the truth.

We would all like to think our vision is better than the truth but here it is.

A person’s field of vision covers about 200 degrees, a little more than a semicircle. At arm’s length their index finger’s fingernail will appear to be about the width of one of those degrees. Imagine that fingernail covered in 120 alternating black and white stripes — being able to discern those stripes at that distance is just about the theoretical limit of the human eye.  Can anyone explain what they actually see on a 4k monitor that they cant see on a 1080p monitor because I see no difference at all?

Maybe it’s just me ???

really new without a clue

bord
                                        @bord
                                        MembervipContributorModerator

Nope. No placebo effect. 1080p vs 4k even on a 27″ monitor is startlingly different. Lines, curves especially, are solid, text is sharp and without haloing, color density is highly improved, resolution deficiencies are much more obvious. You sure you’re actually getting 4k from your screen? You’d have to have real eye trouble to see no difference at all.

The Loafer
                                        Participant
                                          @theloafer

There are many differences when looking at a vp table.  There’s the resolution difference and one thing that surprised me is that colors seemed to just pop more (probably because of better panel).  For the resolution you need to look no further for evidence than the scorecards on the aprons.  in 1080p, some of these are readable but you need to squint while those using high enough resolution scorecards, you can read then with ease.  If playing pinball involved nothing else then reading a score card, I’d say “ok, very nice but so what?  I don’t play score cards”.  Sure, true, but then a pinball playfield is filled with text everywhere such as on score inserts, on pop bumpers, on decals, on plastics, etc. Then you have the art itself.  Wanna know what has floored me the most?  Appreciation for a classic like Centaur with its exquisite black and white art just seemingly giving me the impression it’s more “real” on a 4K playfield.

Well, that’s my take on how 4K has floored me.  Hyperbole much?  Maybe but I’ve spent more time on my pincab the past two weeks then the past three months.  Some of it is the resolution/color bump, some of it is the playability (I now have less lag).  Whatever the case, it’s freaking awesome and I ain’t going back.  The next time I swap out that monitor it’s probably because they come up with a lagless solution and maybe, just maybe, the heavens will open up and god himself will reach down and … PUNCH the TV guys in the head and tell them “YO, MORONS, Loaf needs a 46″ lagless TV, GET ON IT”

bb
                                          Participant
                                            @delt31

I wanted to provide an update as I now have my cab all setup, along with the 4k screen.  Right now that 4k screen is the LG and I’m been happy with it.  I did also get the ACER monitor since it’s well regarded so I could compare the two as I felt it was important enough to check both since it’s the playfield!

I have a 1070ti and i53570k.  In 4k, this thing plays BUTTER smooth.  This is my 2nd cab and I’ve never achieved smooth gameplay in my original although setup wasn’t as good. I originally had CPU overclocked but dropped it down to stock and it still plays smooth so GPU makes a big diff.

I can’t tell you how impressed I am with the new VPX tables especially with the smooth feeling.  Locked at 60fps, the game plays as smooth as TPA but with much better physics and feedback.  I achieved this with force full screen, ddraw = 0 and the big diff…..changed vsync from 0 to 1 and max prerender to 1.

LG has very low flipper delay so the ACER has a lot to prove.  I think the LG has a lower input delay too so unless the ACER looks much better, I’ll prob go LG but I will revert back.  My brain is having a hard time going with a TV over a monitor so I needed to give the ACER a chance.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?