A Few Questions Regarding Button Assignments.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    RussellS
    Participant
      @russells

Hi, I have just recently started out with this hobby and am currently building a mini cabinet and I’m trying to decide what buttons I need before I decide the layout. I have a few questions and I wondered if someone could help me out please.

1. what are the left & right MagnaSave buttons for. I can’t decide if I need them as I haven’t a clue what they do.
      2. What is the ‘Add Credit 2’ button for. On my test setup I only have one ‘Add Credit’ button assigned and everything seems to work ok.
      3. Do I need a two player start button. The set of buttons I have purchased has both 1P and 2P buttons but I’m wondering if I need the 2P one.

Also, is it possible to have the ‘Add Credit’ button light up or flash when credit is required and then have the start button light up when sufficient credit has been applied.

Thanks

LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

“Magnasave” is the name of the secondary flipper buttons as they were used on Black Knight, they activated magnets above the outlanes to yank the ball out and put it back into play. Some tables use them for other things – The Shadow uses them for diverter and upper playfield control. If you anticipate playing Black Knight or Black Knight 2000, then you’ll likely want them. Note that some table authors use them for other things, like a substitute Fire button.

“Add Credit 2” is because most pinball machines use at least two credit slots, and some use three. Most tables work with just the single, but you’ll get the odd outlier that wants one of the others.

You don’t need a 2 Player Start on a pinball. One of the optional buttons you might want is “Extra Ball”, which can be used for tables with a specific “buy in” button for the end of a game, or for games that you can start a special mode instead of a normal game, like Judge Dredd.

There really isn’t an “add credit” light available for tables, because generally the coin slots are lit all the time, even when a table is set to free play. A flashing Start button is a DOF feature, but it’s up to the table to actively support it for it to be used.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        RussellS
        Participant
          @russells

Thanks very much, that has cleared a few things up for me.

I think for the time being I will skip the MagnaSave buttons, I can always add them later if I feel I need them. I may add the ‘Add Credit 2’ button but depending on the tables I end up going with I may reassign it to ‘Extra Ball’. Can the button assignments be changed just for certain games because from what I can see the ‘Configure Keys, Nudge and DOF’ preferences screen seems to be global and apply to all tables.

Thanks again for your help.

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

Really ?? And how are you supposed to play great games like Black Knight and Dungeons and Dragons or buy a VIP for ACDC … or – you want me to go on ?

RussellS
            Participant
              @russells

Really ?? And how are you supposed to play great games like Black Knight and Dungeons and Dragons or buy a VIP for ACDC … or – you want me to go on ?

Well that’s the point, I don’t know. This is why I was after advice from people like yourself who have a vast amount of experience.
              In view of what you said I will now fit the MagnaSave buttons. I’m just trying to make sure I get it right at this early build stage.

32assassin
              Participant
                @32assassin

Do you have a button on your Lock Down Bar ?

if you don’t how are you going to play all the modern Stern tables?

Most of this tables are scripted to give you the option to use the Magna buttons if you don’t have a Fire (lockdown bar) button

And if you plan to have 100s of tables.  you can map the Magna Buttons to Letter Jumps in your Front end of choice.

if not you will have to press the button 100s of times to go from letter A to letter M.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

I almost didn’t install magna-save buttons on my build thinking if needed would add them later.  But I did.  And really glad.  They come in handy for many things so get them drilled out and wired in now.  Tables like Tales of the Arabian Nights and Flintstones allow for amazing LUT changes using them but they are most vital when adjusting tables in camera/light edit mode.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  LynnInDenver
                  Participant
                    @lynnindenver

I believe that magnasaves were pretty much always in the cards for Radiant Silverball, because first and foremost: My husband likes the Black Knight games, and it didn’t make sense to provide only part of the experience for those. Everything else using them is pretty much gravy for us. Plus, they can be useful in the menu (although I don’t have them set up like that yet).

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                    Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                    Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

RussellS
                    Participant
                      @russells

Thanks everyone for your input on this.

I’ve gone from midday yesterday not even knowing what MagnaSave buttons were for to this morning believing that life won’t be worth living without them so I think you’ve convinced me.

I had to put an order in for some new flipper buttons anyway because the ones I originally bought were really horrible so I just wanted to know how many to order. I’ve ordered six so that’s enough for the flipper and MagnaSave buttons with two left over for anything else (lockdown bar button) I can be convinced I need.

Thanks again for the help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?