Addressable LED matrix keeps acting up

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Shamous
    Participant
      @shamous

Hi guys

i’m hoping someone can help me solve the problem I’ve been having for quite a while I thought I had it fixed but it came back again

I have an LED matrix made of 144WST812BLED strips made by ALITOV. The problem I’m having is that the matrix constantly seems to be having bad LEDs that the signal is not going through. The matrix will work fine for a little while but as it gets warm parts of it quit working and quit updating and then within 15 minutes of playing the whole damn thing basically is locked up. I have the same strips down the sides of my play field and have no problems with them. I have found that by hitting them with some compressed freeze spray they start working again so I created a heat sink made of aluminum grating it has three small cooling fans blowing air through them. That seem to work for a couple of months now I’m back to square one again where they constantly keep going out on me. I’m getting really tired of repairing and replacing so I thought I would ask some people what they use and if they’ve ever had issues like this or if there’s anything anyone can think of for me to try to keep this from happening  I am running a power supply just for the LED strips and have injected power at the beginning and end of each strip on the matrix and like I said I’ve had great luck with them working for a long period of time but then all of a sudden they will start acting up

K.Rouge
      Participant
        @k-rouge

Sufficient power supply per n LEDs (50, 100 ?)

How bright are you running the led strips? I can run my led strips / matrices at 10% max brightness and they are still by far bright enough.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Shamous
        Participant
          @shamous

Thanks for the reply K Rouge

I have 764 total addressable on one power supply with power bing injected at every row of 79 on matrix and at beginning and end of sides that are 145 its a 5 v 60 amp power supply  I want to try to turn down brightness but I cant seem to0 remember how.  Ive read about it somewhere but nevere did it because I have all of my leds behind dark tinted plexi so I don’t see them except when they light.. but I suppose I could dim them down some.  I still think that the problem is with the strips I have.  I see a newer verson that has the double data wire and was think9ing about trying them but I didnt want to spring for them until I did some more research on them.

outhere
            @outhere
            MemberContributorvipModerator

@shamous
            You can turn them down on the DOF website and the lights with the double data wire, I don’t think that will work with the current DOF
            The matrix I use has less lights than yours but I haven’t had any problems with the matrix or the strips alongside the table
            I have it like you do, A tint covering them so you don’t know they’re there until they go on

This my setup – https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=39093#entry393762

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Shamous
            Participant
              @shamous

Thanks Outhere  I for some reason thought that the setting in DOF config tool was just for if you were using a 5 bar flasher type setup Illl change it tomarow to see if it helps

as far as the double data wire strips, I hadent seen anyone talk about them so I figured there might be a reason for that.  Ill check into them any way mayby to just see. as I understand it should stop the christmass tree light type problem that if you loose one light because of the data going bad it will just skip that light and continue onto the next rather than loosing everything after it which is the problem Im having

Shamous
              Participant
                @shamous

Well I turned down brightness but still problem persists. They work fine for awhile but when they warm up they start shutting off. It’s always the same one’s that turn off first and then within a couple min the whole thing is locked up. Looks like I’ll have to replace them again. Any suggestions on what brand to try or where to get them from this time

outhere
                  @outhere
                  MemberContributorvipModerator

Well I turned down brightness but still problem persists. They work fine for awhile but when they warm up they start shutting off. It’s always the same one’s that turn off first and then within a couple min the whole thing is locked up. Looks like I’ll have to replace them again. Any suggestions on what brand to try or where to get them from this time

The strips I bought off of eBay and the matrix I bought off of Amazon see my link above
                  Maybe it’s a hardware problem

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?