Advice on DOF devices, enhancing my cabinet

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

I have a couple searches on ebay that notify me of any that come up on there.  reasonable price?  not so much any more, I’ve bought 3 or 4 sets at $30-$60 + shipping each for Gottlieb ones, but I’ve seen them for well over $100 lately.   I’ve bought a couple other things from JT amusements and they have a few listed at the moment http://jtamusements.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_41  that 5″ scoring bell assembly they have listed on that page is awesome as well in the few vp tables that use it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

I’ve noticed this outfit: https://www.chimeunit.com/chime-units

Anyone try them, have any thoughts? Because I’m thinking that, if I’m spending over $100 on a chime assembly, I’d kind of prefer a new one.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

I’ve seen that site, but have not actually seen or heard them.  would make for an interesting comparison but to be honest if I’m going to drop over $100 on a chime assembly I’d rather have one I know does what it is designed to do.  I’m not audio expert but I’m not sure I buy his claim of (italics by me):

“The chime unit does not have the traditional amplification box. After much experimentation I found the same effect could be achieved by slightly increasing the power of the solenoid coils, thus reducing cost and complexity. In the traditional chime units that were designed to take extreme use and abuse, several manufacturers decided on using a super low power coils that could take continual use all day long without overheating and burning out. To compensate they added a hollow box with chambers that were tuned to the same frequency as the chimes. When a chime is struck the sound resonates in the chamber and amplified the sound much like the hollow body of a guitar does. As pinball machines in collectors’ hands rarely ever see the kind of abuse some of these machines got in the arcades using a slightly more powerful coil instead of an amplification box made the most sense.”

They are certainly not super low power coils in the gottlieb units, and I’m pretty sure if they could have skipped the resonate chambers and used a slightly more powerful coil for the “same effect” they would have done it and saved money on each unit.

Just spotted the link to a video..   does not sound nearly as nice imo, but I guess it’s better than nothing if that’s what you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amiSqgkNGU0

LynnInDenver
          Participant
            @lynnindenver

Well, it does save him having to figure out the correct dimensions of the appropriate resonating chamber. I agree that it’s better than nothing, and you really have to be aware of what the originals sound like to have it be annoyingly off, like Sega Genesis sound emulation. :whistle:

I did find a Bally resonation chamber file over on Thingiverse, as it turns out, so it might be possible to get his design to sound right for cheap.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

Gwen
            Participant
              @gwen

I do agree those chimes in the video do not sound as good as the Gottlieb chimes I’ve heard.  Though I imagine I could build a nice wooden resonating chamber for them.  I have built a number of musical instruments in the past, including a 13 string renaissance lute.

Oh, and Lynn… I’m not a him =P

Gwen
              - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

outhere
                @outhere
                MemberContributorvipModerator

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=42267&hl=chimes

LynnInDenver
                Participant
                  @lynnindenver

I do agree those chimes in the video do not sound as good as the Gottlieb chimes I’ve heard.  Though I imagine I could build a nice wooden resonating chamber for them.  I have built a number of musical instruments in the past, including a 13 string renaissance lute.

Oh, and Lynn… I’m not a him =P

I was talking about the person who’s selling the new build chimes, actually. :-)

I assume you’re a She/Her/Hers?

Gwen
                  Participant
                    @gwen

My bad, nice to see another woman here in all this wonderful madness  :bye:   Assuming I’m not mixed up myself …

Gwen

LynnInDenver
                    Participant
                      @lynnindenver

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Yep, She/Her/Hers here, although some out there would argue against my pronouns based on birth anatomy.</p>

Gwen
                      Participant
                        @gwen

Glad I wasn’t wrong.  Nice to meet you.

Gwen

Gwen
                        Participant
                          @gwen

Thanks for the links on building chimes guys.  I may give that a try myself.

Gwen

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?