Are addressable LEDs amazing or annoying?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I really would like to try out addressable LEDs on my new build.  I had the 5 flasher bar and loved it because of the nostalgic look of my old cab.  This new one I wanted to make more modern looking.  To the ones that actually have them, do you absolutely love them or do they get old or annoying after a while.  I would hate to put all that work in and find out they are just OK.

I am one of those guys that loves new tables and old ones alike so how do they look on the older tables?

jbg4208
      Participant
        @jbg4208

Couldn’t afford addressable LED’s so I went with the sound reactive LED’s setup to react from my table sounds. Im sure not a fancy at addressable but it works or me.

VDog90
        Participant
          @vdog90

Personally I think they are amazing and would recommend them for a new build.  However I can understand how some players would think they are overwhelming.   I still need to darken my playing field lights with window tint (just a little too bright without tint).  Under and back of cab lighting is beautiful.   They are a little complicated to learn and set up but once you get over that, you can do so many things for lighting.  The pre-programmed animations/special effects while playing are fantastic experience. I used them for my cab and have plans to expand their use (speakers and button lighting)  Also They are much easier to wire and power compared to RGB based on what I read about them.   I only have a few older tables but they typically don’t have the fancy special effects.  They do simulate whatever lighting options the games provide.  Their setup is extremely customizable.

GSAdventure
          Participant
            @gsadventure

They are absolutely amazing.
            i have set up 144LED left&right and 8×71 as Matrix behind the Playfield.

especially „Dark Princess“, AC/DC, GOTG are amazing. Thanks to the guys who have created those effects.

best toy after solenoids.

Tom
            Participant
              @armyaviation
              MemberContributor

What’s the hardest part about setting them up, soldering or the programming

outhere
                @outhere
                MemberContributorvipModerator

I think it’s one of the coolest parts of my set up
                No soldering needed Addressable Board
                See — Pinball Addressable LEDs (PAL)  — https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=43173&hl=
                For the sides go with 144 Per meter
                My setup + info – https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=39093#entry393762

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation
                  MemberContributor

thanks @outhere.  I have been reading tutorials but I haven’t seen this one yet.  I really like the way they look.  Thanks for links

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

I guess I need to watch more videos because I have some concerns.  I really like the side strips and the effects.  I kinda like the video when you had leds on the side and flashers in the back.  My main concern is I am not crazy about just having shapes like squares and triangles on the back ones.  I have seen videos where there is amazing effects on the back strips but I wonder if that’s only on a few tables and most don’t have anything on the back.  Is that the case?

bjschneider93
                    Participant
                      @bjschneider93

One of the best upgrades I did after my cab was built

TerryRed
                        @terryred
                        MemberContributorModerator

Not to toot my own horn… but until you have played any of my PinEvent tables with MX Leds, or MOTU, or some other tables like TNA, the Getaway, ACDC,etc….. you haven’t seen the level of cool a cabinet can have.

Some tables are just 5 flasher emulation. Others likes Star Wars DSA – Pinevent has a literal galactic battle and light show times with the sounds and feedback in perfect harmony.

You can also adjust the brightness, and use tinted plexi and security screen,etc to cover them up to make them look much sharper without reflections like I show in this video…

…and some gameplay examples…

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        Tom
                        Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

@terryred, that looks amazing.  What do a lot of the older tables like Losermans era look like, does it emulate the 5 flasher bar?

terry, for my cab build, what size monitor are you using for your dmd screen.  My old one was an older 15” dell and I was not happy with how bright or crisp it was.  Yours looks amazing.  I am trying to figure out where I want to place the flashers, beacon and fan.  My old topper made the cab pretty tall but if I extend the backglass height for a full size dmd that may make it look silly, to tall.

TerryRed
                            @terryred

@terryred, that looks amazing. What do a lot of the older tables like Losermans era look like, does it emulate the 5 flasher bar?

terry, for my cab build, what size monitor are you using for your dmd screen. My old one was an older 15” dell and I was not happy with how bright or crisp it was. Yours looks amazing. I am trying to figure out where I want to place the flashers, beacon and fan. My old topper made the cab pretty tall but if I extend the backglass height for a full size dmd that may make it look silly, to tall.

My backglass monitor is 27 inches, and the middle screen is a 19 inch RCA Walmart TV :) (both 16×9)

Any table that had normal DOF added with 5 flasher support, will at a minimum have 5 flasher emulation on the Back Matrix.

So most tables like Loserman’s should be like that if they had normal DOF added.

Tom
                            Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

@terryred, I watched your tutorial on screen privacy, very nice.  Do you have any glass over either backglass tv

TerryRed
                                @terryred

No glass at all on the backbox.

I built my cabinet way back when I frankly didn’t know too much about cabinets… and get this… thought that lighting on a cabinet looked dumb…

…and yet I became the guy who most embraced it.

Tom
                                Tom
                                Participant
                                  @armyaviation
                                  MemberContributor

I had a 32 inch in my backglass and I like the size but it was 720p.  I am looking online at used ones and all I see is 720.  Do they make 32 at 1080?   When I bought my 4K playfield yesterday, the salesman said that they make very few 40 inch TVs in 4K.  I ended up with a 43 and it fits in my cab pretty nice

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

Yah, mine is 43 4K for the pf too.

I originally have a 42 inch…and the backglass in 1080p… and those both came from my x3 42 inch tv surround setup from my simpit.

Then when I got posted here, the movers screwed up and smashed my pf screen (I didnt have glass at the time). So I got a free 4K upgrade 3+ years ago.

The middle screen TV is 1366×768.

There should be at the very least some 1080p 32 inch TVs out there. Not sure about monitors.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by TerryRed.
                                    • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by TerryRed.
                                    Tom
                                    Participant
                                      @armyaviation
                                      MemberContributor

So 1366×768 isn’t 1080p correct?

just a quick look on Walmart website and most 32s are 720P.  I wonder if there is that much difference between 720 and 1080 in a 32.  Especially for a BG

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Tom.
                                      JR
                                      Participant
                                        @jfr1

I certainly understand why this is appealing. While I don’t have any on my cab, I have LED’s strips everywhere else. We’re pinheads, we like lights!

But…LED’s on an Lman table?

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation
                                          MemberContributor

@jfr1, that’s why I am torn between nostalgia and LEDs to the max.  I loved my cab, I loved the way it looked with the 1946 plunger and the 70s style cab with all the flashers.  I always envied people like TerryReds cab though.  I have never owned a dmd game let alone one of the new double size dmd games.  I can’t see spending $6000/10,000 on 1 pinball game.  I think I would be happy with my virtual looking like a new modern game.  But I will miss old looking cab.  If only I had both…..

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Tom.
                                          Peter222
                                          Participant
                                            @swietlikowa

@armyaviation I will also be building a new cab and was just thinking about the old EM tables of which I am a fan. I plan on subtle leds (one row left/right and front), on the old tables I imagine some subtle effects or off. Some FullDMD owners display a backglass on the FullDMD monitor and some static on the top (backglass). I, however, think the DMD is too small to display the backglass so I’m going to put some neon graphics there and the backglass on the big screen.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?