Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    llyrric
    Participant
    @llyrric

So I am having issues with Ultra DMD tables.  On these table in VPX, the table audio comes out of the wrong speakers.  I have a 7.1 setup with the main speakers in the backbox and 4 exciters and a shaker in the cabinet. On these ultra DMD tables ( Ghostbusters, metal slug, etc…) the main music and table sounds are all coming from the front exciters, by the flippers.  It is only this way with the ultra dmd tables.  I found one forum post on another forum from a few years ago that referenced a problem with the bass.dll file but it did not give the solution if their is one.  Anyone have any ideas?

llyrric
    Participant
    @llyrric

Actually, it apears that the problem is with all original tables(except the Stranger Things table works fine). Is there a setting somewhere I am missing?

outhere
    @outhere
    MemberContributorvipModerator

Open the game in the editor, Go to table, then Sound manager, then click on the sound You want to move to the back glass, Then click Toggle BG Out – Say OK

(And if you do the wrong sound file just hit Toggle BG Out)

Save game, Close out the editor restart and the sound should be in the back glass

llyrric
    Participant
    @llyrric

Thanks!  Is there a similar procedure for the music?  Those files dont appear to be in the sound manager.

Thalamus
    @thalamus
    ContributorMemberModerator

If the sound is from the Music folder, then you can either use Audacity to increase it’s volume or have a look in the script. See commandref – says the volume should be between 0 and 1.

PlayMusic(string, float volume) – volume 0..1

llyrric
    Participant
    @llyrric

Thanks.  The volume is ok. The problem is it is only coming from the exciters in the front of the cab instead of the real speakers in the backbox.  Like the SSF is reversed for these tables for some reason.

Thalamus
    @thalamus

Hmm. Maybe it is related to what sound output you have as default for music ?

llyrric
    Participant
    @llyrric

Somehow metal slug works now but slimer,clue etc  wont.  Ive tried moving audio out of default sound driver as well as specifying speakers.  Doesnt seem to make a difference.  It has to do something with how rom sounds come out of non-rom tables, because all the rom tables work fine.

Thalamus
    @thalamus

You have to distinguish between sound that is imported into the table ( seen in sound manager ) and rom sounds – from files that lives in the “music” folder. There is also other alternatives out there. Pup-packs. Unfortunately I don’t have the details to how to change those. Here, most of the tables work right away, except for the BG-Out trick that outhere mentions for EM’s and Original – but, it is a fast fix.

Adolar
    Participant
    @adolar

Hi,

I got the same probleme. I recently installed auf 7.1 system, which works fine with most vpx tables. I can change for example the ball sound volume in the sound manager to adjust every table.

But with those ultra dmd tables, for example americas most haunted etc.. All the sound (speech) comes from my exciters near the backglass (side output of the soundcard). In sound manager the sounds are correctly set to “backglass”. Even if I change it to table. Nothing changes. The sounds stay on the exciters (table).

Any solution?

Thalamus
    @thalamus

Did you do the essential – save – exit and retry ? Outhere mentioned that in his post.

Adolar
    Participant
    @adolar

Yes I did. Many times.
    It works in all tables without Ultra dmd.

but in Ultra dmd the Sound stays on the exciters.

Thalamus
    @thalamus

Sounds weird. Are you actually sure that it comes from the exciters ? Could it be that it comes out the tv ? A general recommendation is to disable output units that you don’t use to prevent these kind of things. I can’t really see how UltraDMD tables has any different setup than regular games when it comes to table sounds. Your SSF setup is working as expected for rom based games ? You hear the ball clearly going from the plunger to the back on eg. STTNG ?

Adolar
    Participant
    @adolar

I did not yet try STTNG. I will do this evening. In other tables (Ac/dc f. e. ) the ball rolling sound is perfect.

Till now I did not even think about the TV speakers, but I dont think so, because of the vibrations that I can feel perfect on the  wall near the exciters.

How can I disable output units ?

I am using Flex Dmd too. (https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=43569)

can this be a reason?

Thalamus
    @thalamus

No, neither UltraDMD or FlexDMD has anything to do with sound. Or at least, I would be very surprised if they do. I recommend STTNG because at start 4 balls are ejected from plunger to the back while the machine is relatively quiet, it has here at least a very good SSF effect; so I tend to recommend that to test you SSF setup with. To disable ? Right click ? Don’t remember, but, it should be pretty obvious since I found it right away ;)

It it just weird to me that you are hearing difference from pinmame tables to originals. What about EM’s ? You have a feeling that you have overlooked something obvious, but, that happen, especially when you are actually hunting for a issue ;)

LynnInDenver
    Participant
    @lynnindenver

Do you have Visual Pinball set up so that the backglass sounds come through the correct sound system? It’s a separate setting from vPinMAME, which brings its own audio, which might be why you’re getting fine results except when running an UltraDMD table, because it’s Visual Pinball itself handling all the sound and music rather than just the mechanical sounds. Visual Pinball lets you specify one sound system for Backglass, and potentially a separate sound system for Table.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
    Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
    Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Adolar
    Participant
    @adolar

well I used this evening to test again.

I inactivated all other sound systems (monitors), only my 7.1 usb sound card is active now.

In vpx audio options, USB sound device 7.1 Surround is activated.

In the sound manager: the sound can be tested by using “position/volume” and test. Sound appears in the correct position. But if I change this position (after saving, exiting vpx and restarting the table) everything stays the same. I can not change the output (backglass/table).

Thats the same with tables with or without ultra dmd. Its got nothing to do with this.

???

Thalamus
    @thalamus

Long since I fiddled with this myself. Lynn’ post, seems valid to me. Do you have other alternative sound devices after disabling that you haven’t tried maybe ? Like primary windows etc ? I’m starting to get out of ideas here.

LynnInDenver
    Participant
    @lynnindenver

Yeah, UltraDMD/FlexDMD does NO sound processing. I do believe something’s wrong with your sound configuration somewhere that VPinMAME goes to the correct place (ROM sounds), but Visual Pinball is misdirected as to where Backglass sounds it controls (which is how UltraDMD equipped tables MUST run their sound, since again, UltraDMD does NO sound processing) are supposed to go.

VPAudioOptions

This is what my desktop setup looks like (I only have a set of speakers there)… my cabinet rig, the “Play Music” (read; Backbox) is set through Speakers/Primary, the Sound Effects (read: mechanical effects) are through the television right now (the speakers are against the right wall of the cabinet, substituting for the non-existent SSF). You’ll also note the “Multi-channel”… are you running the backbox speakers through the surround sound, and if so, which speakers ports are you running them on? Front of cabinet is rear speakers of surround, back of cabinet is side speakers of surround, backbox is front speakers of surround, if I’m reading the panel correctly.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
    Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
    Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Adolar
    Participant
    @adolar

Well I got my problem solved. Thank you all.

I think it is the driver for my usb sound card.

I installed EqualizerAPO. This alone did not change anything.

I had to inactivated the Original-APO für my sound card in the configurator. Now I can use the vpx sound manager. :)

Thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW