ball spin while cradle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bobcatshadow
    Participant
      @bobcatshadow

Been enjoying downloading and playing all the great VPX pins people have been posting but noticed with several tables that the ball continuously visibly spins while sitting in what should be a still position in the flipper cradle, occasionally rotating so much as to pop up or climb the flipper. The tables last night this happened with were ‘mata hari’ https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11882 and ‘barracora’ https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/barracora-williams-1981-vpx  Searched for ‘ball spin’ on the forums but didn’t find an earlier thread that discussed possible causes and solutions, so asking here. I checked through the table and flipper physics settings but they seemed ok, not sure if it is some material friction values that need updating to stop the spinning – tried experimenting changing some of the material friction values to no effect. This was with VPX 10.6 rev7351. Thanks, bobcat

JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

I also have noticed this.  Seeing it right now on the new TOTAN.   I like it and always thought it was intentional.  Whenever I see what I think may be a glitch I always figure it’s something on my end so never ask about it.  But this is an interesting question and I’d be curious to know if it’s intentional.  Pretty sure it is, this TOTAN ball also has a flickering ‘lens flare’ going on.

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

I’m yet to see that the ball doesn’t “spin” in VPX. It’s a visual thing. The ball’ physics isn’t matching the visual presentation in this case. The easiest way to “solve it” is to not to use scratched overlay on the ball in the first place. The pop up and climb is a combination of rubbers and angles.

bobcatshadow
          Participant
            @bobcatshadow

On the mata hari table it’s more than a visual glitch, the ball actively pops and climbs the flipper cradle area like a jumping bean. The bounce movement on Barracora is less while sitting in the cradle, but still noticeable. Hitting F11 shows the ball spin more clearly, I’d assumed those placement dots were the ball itself and not only the visual texture. Most tables work correctly, where the ball does not jump around in the cradle for setting up shots. I took a look through the script searching for keywords like ‘ball’, but didn’t see where the ball was being manipulated by script, my guess is something about the table elements(like friction being set to 0 or near 0 for earlier tables instead of something like 0.3) is creating an unintended ongoing force, but I haven’t found a fix experimenting with changing table element friction values at the cradle point.

rothbauerw
              @rothbauerw
              ModeratorContributorMembervip

There’s no way I’ve found to completely eliminate it. I removed the ball scratches from the Captive balls for just that reason.

For the table in question I’d check the EOS torque and EOS angle. Should be something like 0.8 and 6.

If that’s not it, then I would look at the other object it’s resting against. I’ve seen oddly shaped walls or rubbers create some weird behavior.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

Take a look at the Algar table. I’m pretty sure that I made a very small wall, almost like a cylinder on that one to keep the creeping in check.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?