Ballyhoo (1932)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Warbler33
    Participant
      @warbler33

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/ballyhoo-1932/

Here’s my attempt at a recreation of Ballyhoo from 1932. It’s probably not a ‘perfect’ recreation, but it’s functional, I’m happy with how it turned out considering it’s my first recreation, and I’d like to share it with you all.

Big thanks go to mfuegemann on vpforum for creating the “Cavalcade” table I converted into this table. Also thanks to randr for recreating the “World’s Fair Jigsaw” flipperless table, which inspired me to try recreating another table from the early days of pinball. **1.2 Update – thanks to Jopp for instructions on how to add sounds for the ball colliding with the pins!

Thanks to The Internet Pinball Database community for posting images of this table to refer to. It was a big help to the project.

This table can be played as a 10 ball or 7 ball machine – just change the number of balls in the script and make sure the to change the image on the “Apron” to match. Also, you should also be able to turn off the scoring reels/tape/etc. in the script.

Also included in the download is a backglass (just a static image I put together) and a wheel I made.

Enjoy!

All logos, copyrights, & trademarks that happen to appear in this game are the property of their respective owners.

Table created for personal use & is not for resale

Permission to mod – Yes, with approval

Total of 24 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
      bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

So awesome to see this. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the first project!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Jopp
        Participant
          @joppnl

To remind us what ‘pin-ball’ really means :-)
          :good:

Thanks!

My favorite pinball machine?
          Where I can put my name on as Grand Champion....

Didac
          Participant
            @serabile

Great job! It reminds me a pinballs I used to do when I was 7 years old. A piece of wood, nails, rubber bands, a hammer and some damaged fingers. As pop bumpers I used the beer bottle caps. I really love it! :yahoo:

flstclasic
            Participant
              @flstclasic

Can’t wait to try this one out. I love these old tables! Thank you!

JR
              Participant
                @jfr1

This is too cool.  Thanks @warbler33 !!  Perfect companion table to both Star-Light and World’s Fair.   I really appreciate it when someone takes the time to bring these relics to life.  I’ve been eyeing a 1933 Merry Go Round on c-list.  Early ‘pin’ like this – but circular!

Thanks again!

xphilou29
                Participant
                  @xphilou29

very cool, thanks for sharing this and for your work

HSM
                  Participant
                    @hsmagic

Very nice.  I gave the primitive pins a hit event to get the sound.

Warbler33
                    Participant
                      @warbler33

Thanks for mentioning Star-Light, @jfr1 ! I had not seen that one before, but now I have it downloaded to play later.

And let me just take this opportunity to thank everyone for their nice comments and their interest in the table. It’s been roughly 24 hours and I already have 150 downloads!! I’m happy to see so many people find these older tables as interesting as I do. Hopefully mine inspires someone to go off and make another ;-)

Jopp
                      Participant
                        @joppnl

As HSM says: it’s very much more fun to have a sound when the ball hits the pins and the good news is:
                        it’s very simple to do, all script and sound is already there!

Here’s a little how_to:

1) Make sure you have Options “on” (orange line) and press Select (green line)

bh pins1

2) From that list choose Pins (COL).

Now…it might look that VPX has ‘frozen’ but as there are a lot of pins this takes a few seconds…just be patient (talking to myself….. :wacko: )

3) As you turned the Options on you;ll see this menu on the right:

select Physics and enable ‘has hit event’ and put the value 1 as threshold_value

bh pins2

Actually….that’s all!  (as said: script is ready, sounds are already there)

But….in my case I couldn’t hear the colliding ball->pin well enough so I raised the volume:

3) open sound manager (F2) and select pinhit_low and press ‘Position’

bh pins3

4) set volume (right slider) all to max (=down)

bh pins4

Press OK, save table and enjoy.

When you have full SSF you can hear the ball hit the pins on the left or right where ever the ball is at that moment very well….

My favorite pinball machine?
                        Where I can put my name on as Grand Champion....

2 users thanked author for this post.
                        Warbler33
                        Participant
                          @warbler33

Thank you for such clear and well laid out instructions, @joppnl !! You inspired me to go back and tweak some other sounds effects as well. I’ll try to get an update added shortly for anyone interested in having a few more/new sound effects. But thanks again to Jopp – it was very nice of you to take time and explain how to do that :good:

JR
                          Participant
                            @jfr1

Wow @joppnl … ditto what warbler wrote.  How the heck did you know this stuff?  Now I’m going to be up all night trying to import the more metallic sound from randr’s WF.  I grew up with a table top Gold Star ‘pin’ game from Lindstrom, and even with marbles, it has a very metallic ‘ting’.  I am having a BLAST playing this.  The score counter, sticky note and light bulb/ball count – love these.    Hope you stay with this table @warbler33  …shadows?

20201010_220131

joeplainfield
                            Participant
                              @joeplainfield

Thank you for this. Love that you took the time to bring an original back to life. Saw some old ones on VP8, but this raises the bar immeasurably. There’s definitely something to be said about the old simple games. Everyone likes to talk about the Addams Family being the biggest selling pinball of all time, but it wasn’t. Not even close. (Rockola’s World Series in 1934 was). These old games were magic then, and still are now. Bally Hoo started it all 2 years earlier.

freestlz
                              Participant
                                @freestlz

Thank you….i love old simple tables. Takes me back to better times.

Warbler33
                                Participant
                                  @warbler33

Thanks for the picture, @jfr1 ! It’s fun to see my table on someone else’s setup and that Gold Star sure looks cool! As for your praise of the counter/highscore pieces – I wish I could take credit. Those were parts of the “Cavalcade” visual table I gutted to make Ballyhoo. (I definitely recommend that table to everyone who’s enjoying mine! I think it’s over at vpforums). And shadows, you say? I’d be happy to look into it! No promises how long it’ll take to get an updated file posted, though. I got version 1.2 out quickly because the pin sounds seemed like a popular request and Jopp laid out the instructions so clearly that it was a snap to add. Also, if I make a change as significant as shadows, I might want to revisit a few other things on the table.

And once again, let me just say thank you to everyone downloading the table and telling me how much you’re enjoying it. As joeplainfield mentioned, there was an older version of this table online, but I didn’t think it was really cutting it anymore. (Understandably! Visual Pinball seems to have advanced quite a bit between then and now). I’m glad to know people are enjoying my updated version. That was really the goal all along.

Hopefully I’ll be able to share an even better updated version one of these days. But, until then, thanks again for all of your support on my first release! It means a lot. :rose:

sousda1
                                  Participant
                                    @sousda1

Thank you Warbler33! This table looks great, my toddler is gonna have a blast, he really just loves doing the plunger, so this will be perfect for him.

Quick question, when i try to play, is there a specific button i need to be pressing to setup the ball? I toss in coins, but the game doesnt ever eject a ball. Not sure what im missing here? Thanks!

JR
                                    Participant
                                      @jfr1

Right flipper button loads ball on my setup.

sousda1
                                      Participant
                                        @sousda1

Well, I feel like a dolt lol. Tried everything except the flippers haha. *facepalm*

Works, thanks!

STAT
                                        Participant
                                          @stefanaustria
                                          MemberContributor

Great – i think i have seen one real Table at Terra Technica Museum … :good:

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                          Warbler33
                                          Participant
                                            @warbler33

I just uploaded version 1.3. I plan for this to be my last update to the table (assuming nobody finds any glitches I need to address). I had zero expectations for how my first table recreation was going to go, so I’m very happy to say  that it feels like a complete success! So thanks once again to everyone for your downloads and nice comments. I’m not sure if/when I’ll have another project to share, but I hope you continue to enjoy Ballyhoo!

5 users thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?