Beer Keg MAME

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RustyCardores
      @rustycardores
      MemberModerator

OK so it’s a little off topic (I’ll get around to posting my cabinet build soon) but here’s a quick look at my “Beer Keg MAME’

I had most of the stuff laying around, so rather than have it just gather dust, I figured this would be a better use.

Beer Keg – Found in bush with bullet hole in bottom. (that’s OK, you don’t see it on the floor)
      Mini Palette (needed extra height) – Scaled down from a larger palette retrieved from a dump bin at the hardware.
      Screen – Old screen just laying around.
      Computer – Decommissioned MacMini (was formerly used as my media server)
      Control Deck – $4 Cutting board from supermarket. (came round, saved heaps of work)
      Keyboard Emulator – From China for $11
      Joy & Buttons- From China for about $15
      Speakers – USB ones just laying around.
      Software – AttractMode front end, MAME64 for Mac at backend.
      Monitor Mount – Old visa mount just laying around, plus 2 x 90 degree brackets from shed to form Z shape.

The Z-shape bracket simply slots in the back keg handle hole and the weight of the monitor pulling forward locks it in place. This means that it can be removed in seconds for transport. The play deck is glued and screwed to the keg cap, so it can be removed by simply unscrewing it. It wall worked out rather simple and cool really. ;)

I realise that a perfectly good MacMini is a bit overkill just for MAME, so if I ever have another use for it, I will probably just replace it with a RasberryPi.  That said, I have a few old PC laptops laying around here too, so I could chuck one of them in and run PBX as the front end. That might be even better, as then it would be a smooth transition for new players going from my PinCab to MAMEcab.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

neat. but you lost the deposit on that keg :) I like it its different

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
        RustyCardores
          @rustycardores
          MemberModerator

neat. but you lost the deposit on that keg :) I like it its different

I set out to make a proper Hankin style Space Invader cab and used the beer keg to lay the screen flat on to get an idea of height…. at which point the light went on inside my head “surely I can make something with this that would be far simpler?”

I am building myself an arcade room/bar in my “Blokes World” shed up the back. It will be very rustic on the inside with lots of rusty corrugated iron and old timbers, so I wanted something “blokie” to fit that environment. Is there anything more blokie than a beer keg? lol ;)

Now I’m wondering how well my cab will fit in. It’s all gloss white & black as I built it to be “furniture” in the house rather than a pinball standing out like a bump on a log.  Looks like I might have to wrap it now to help it fit the arcade.

RustyCardores
            @rustycardores
            MemberModerator

Let me know when you think I’ve gone too far ;)

Light up Pacman Stool….

Drybonz
            Participant
              @drybonz

Nice… I like that layout you have going in the PBX with the list menu.  Can that be done for pinball too?  I thought it only had the wheel interface.

The stool and bullet hole on the bottom are nice touches.    :)

RustyCardores
                @rustycardores
                MemberModerator

Nice… I like that layout you have going in the PBX with the list menu. Can that be done for pinball too? I thought it only had the wheel interface. The stool and bullet hole on the bottom are nice touches. :)

No the front end you see there is ‘AttractMode’ for use on the Mac.  It’s the best front end controller for mac that I have found so far.

My mention of PBX above, was in relation to if I swap the currently used MacMini for a PC.

Nemo
                Participant
                  @nemo

Like the keg, love the stool ! And don’t you just love those “eureka” moments…..sometimes it just

clicks, and you have another great idea pop into your head.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?