Best Graphics card for 2019

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SteveB
    Participant
      @steveb

Just in the process of ordering parts for my new build cab & wondering if anyone can offer some advice on best graphic card for £250 – £300

I’m thinking a GeForce 1070 8GB but what is with all the different versions, there seems to be cards by asus, palit. Armour & aero are within the titles. Founder edition, gaming edition… All the images of the different cards are different. Sonme have one fan, others two, others three.

I haven’t condered the spec of the PC yet but am thinking a high end card is more importent than a high end PC?

I want to be able to run 3 screens, use BAM tracking, PinUp & all the feedback & lights. Also what is the lifespan of a graphics card, there are a lot of cheaper refurbished 1070 cards. Appreciate any input.

Steve B

LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

What resolution of playfield monitor are you planning on using. That will effect your specific choice. Past that, it’s important that the card have (at least) as many video outputs as screens you plan to drive. For VPX, the card is what matters over the CPU, although having a beefy CPU can help. FP isn’t nearly as demanding.

Lifespan is going to depend on how often you plan on using the cab, and what the card was doing for the previous owner. Some of the used cards out there came out of mining rigs, there was a definite period where people were buying the cards up to build those rigs and driving the overall costs up (many – but not all – stores would ask what you were building and charge “market will bear” prices if it was for a mining rig, and provide a “discount” if it was clear you were making a gaming rig), and with the combination of specific mining cards, a new generation of video cards, and that video cards no longer have sufficient oomph versus the overall cost of mining, the market’s been normalizing again.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Drybonz
        Participant
          @drybonz

There’s a couple new cards being released in the 1600 series (not sure if they are available yet) which will be higher powered versions of the 1600, which is a great value card.  You may want to look into those.

As far as the importance of a card in your system… everything in the pc is important and if you have an old processor, for instance, it will be a bottleneck and a new card won’t fix that.

SteveB
          Participant
            @steveb

Well the 4k TV I just bought for the playfied has a max resolution of 4096 x 2160. Output wise I’m planning on running three screens & on the middle screen dmd & pup.

I still have a working NVidia Geforce GT560 ti which was my old cabs playfield, I was thinking I would still use this for the middle dmd / pup screen or maybe the back glass allowing whatever main graphics card I buy to be dedicated to the playfield, or maybe this is overkill?

Yeah I think I will go along the new route, you never know with second hand…

Steve B

robertms
            Participant
              @mophead

Just curious, which TV model did you get that has a native 4096 x 2160 resolution?

SteveB
              Participant
                @steveb

I got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QPTSQS9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Good price, 4k, hopefully when coupled with a decent PC…

Steve B

SteveB
                Participant
                  @steveb

Whilst I think about it any opinions on this for my main rig, I’ll add a GeForce 1070ti card also. CCL 4.7GHz Intel Octa Core i7 9700 Bundle – 16GB, MSI Z390-A PRO Motherboard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCL-4-7GHz-Intel-Octa-Core-i7-9700-Bundle-16GB-MSI-Z390-A-PRO-Motherboard/113327449010

Steve B

The Loafer
                  Participant
                    @theloafer

FYI historically speaking, it’s better to run everything off one card then having some screens running on one card and other screens running on another card/motherboard.  Good luck with the new PC, 4K playfield will be the biggest WOW factor in your new build

SteveB
                    Participant
                      @steveb

FYI historically speaking, it’s better to run everything off one card then having some screens running on one card and other screens running on another card/motherboard.

Really? Thanks for the advice, I just figured it would make sense to share the strain out as much as possible, especially with pup?

Steve B

The Loafer
                      Participant
                        @theloafer

FYI historically speaking, it’s better to run everything off one card then having some screens running on one card and other screens running on another card/motherboard.

Really? Thanks for the advice, I just figured it would make sense to share the strain out as much as possible, especially with pup?

Others may have a different opinion but for many people, the result is better all on one card. The issue is that there are a lot of programs talking to each other (VP/VPM/dB2S, etc) and I guess the performance is improved if the OS doesn’t have to deal with multiple GPU’s on top of that.

It would be good for others who tried both to comment.  Perhaps for others it’s a different experience but I remember several people commenting on this previously and stating better on one GPU

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?