Best way to add banana flippers to a table?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gilrock
    Participant
      @gilrock

I’m updating my Time Warp table from VP9 to VPX.  I never added banana flippers to the original version but I’d like to add them to the update.   I have the primitives from my Future Pinball version of the table.  Is there a good way to add a moving primitive that interacts with the ball for a flipper function?

I also see a ton of posts about something called fastflips but I can’t tell if that’s something I should be adding.  It sounded like it was only for non-solid state tables.  Time Warp is a 1979 Williams solid state table.

bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

Fastflips is only for Solid State tables. Just change usesolenoids to =2 instead of =1 and it should work fine for Time Warp.

I haven’t played around with banana flippers yet. You can certainly make them collidable and tie them to flipper movement. Just move the actual flippers off the playfield. It would take some extra work to get them to interact with the ball properly. You’ll be missing some physics parameters that native flippers benefit from. Blaze the trail, man. I’d love to see what you come up with.

HauntFreaks
          @hauntfreaks
          vipContributorMember

look at any gottlieb table made by BorgDog , i’m sure there are many others but Borg has really clean scripting….

[pastacode lang=”markup” manual=”Sub%20FlipperTimer_Timer%0A%0A%09lflip.roty%20%3D%20LeftFlipper.currentangle%20%0A%09rflip.roty%20%3D%20RightFlipper.currentangle%20″ message=”” highlight=”” provider=”manual”/]

BorgDog
          Participant
            @borgdog
            MemberContributorvip

unfortunately primitives will only physically interact in the initial location they are placed, you can move them around but the new location will not interact withe the ball.  check out the Hi-Score Pool table and see how the ball launch thing is made up of a butt load of walls that by dropping and raising kind of rotate like a moving object.  I don’t know if it would be feasible or work at all to do banana flippers that way.

32assassin
            Participant
              @32assassin

the dropping walls is how its done in the VP9 table,

add the physical walls to move the ball

add the flippers (set as toy) to rotate the primitives (also set as toys)

you might need to add a rotating number to your flippers to match the start position of your flippers.

you will need to play with the numbers IF they don’t match you don’t always need to do this.

lflip.roty = LeftFlipper.currentangle  + 200

rflip.roty = RightFlipper.currentangle + 200

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
              https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

Gilrock
              Participant
                @gilrock

Ok from the post I saw on VPF it sounded like you were saying there was a better method for VPX.  I believe the version of my TimeWarp GrayGhost modded created banana flippers using the multiple walls method.  It needed a lot of work before I’d want my name on it.

32assassin
                Participant
                  @32assassin

the method I thought would work is if you used primitive flippers and set them as collidable, but as Borddog mentioned.

this method is not possible.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

Gilrock
                  Participant
                    @gilrock

Ok I got pretty much the same answer in 2014 for VP9.  That’s why I never tried to put the banana flippers in there back then.  I typically use the Future Pinball version of my table in my cabinet because the banana flippers work pretty good in that version.

I spent all day yesterday updating my table from VP9 to VPX but I feel like inspecting other tables is the only way to figure out what might have changed in VPX.  I am able to get rid of a lot of wall objects because I’m replacing things like posts that were 12 walls apiece with one primitive.  I believe I could have done the same thing back in 2014 but I was advised against using a primitive for things like a post back then because they said it was too costly in render time.  I also see it seems VPX can handle the fading lights instead of doing it in the script.  That is eliminating a nice section of script but I have to say the old table looked pretty darn good with the scripted fading.  It also looked like I can eliminate the scripted rollover switch images but it caused me to have to fix my base table image to show the slots.

I still haven’t figured out if VPX can automatically create the shading for table illumination.  I looked at the Gorgar table because like Time Warp its a 1979 Williams table and it looks like the lighting is done by hand by drawing the shape to curve around posts.  My VP9 table already has the lighting baked into the table image and I use walls to do things like let extra light shine through when targets drop.  That still seems to look pretty nice so not sure there’s a need for me to change it.

Slydog43
                    Participant
                      @slydog43

After a fun morning of playing around with primitive flippers, I came to the same conclusion.  I was so excited before I realized the non-visible flippers were reacting with the ball.  Good luck with your build, I tried to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?