(Big Betty’s) Truck Stop

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Greynurse
    Participant
      @greynurse

The previous VPX release of this table that I have was release in July 2018 by Sinbad, V1.0.0., which is the table tou have modelled this from. Usually I archive my downloads but I could not locate the table in my archives. It does refer to vpforums in the table info, but the table no longer exists there.

agentEighty6
      Participant
        @zigbane

Yep, I’ve only been on the vpin scene since March of last year and  couldn’t find a vpx version so i decided to create my own and then figured I’d share it.  i did happen to find the v9 version and spoke with sindbad about converting his version.  He said to go for it.   Without his version, i wouldn’t have been able to start with such a nice graphical model although Brandon did a great job helping with cleaning up the pf and plastics to look even nicer.   Everything else is pretty much rewritten by myself like the script, the physics, the lighting, etc.  I’m glad everyone is enjoying it.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Drybonz
        Participant
          @drybonz

The original “beta” version was posted in a beta tables thread at VPF along with a bunch of unfinished tables.  Most of those links died a long time ago and that table was never officially posted as a finished table.

Anyway, it sounds like you did all the checks for permissions to use resources, etc, which is awesome.  Thanks for the new version of this table.

Oldschool4
          Participant
            @oldschool4

Thanks for sharing agentEighty6, cheers :good:

Onevox
            Participant
              @rooster

This is a beautiful recreation. Thanks for the awesome realism.

Onevox

Arngrim
              Participant
                @arngrim
                DOF MinisterMember

Thank you @agentEighty6 for the vpx version of the table, plays and look nice :)

I have updated the script, some sounds are not played because of the ccontroller variable is not used anymore, it is instanciated in the controller.vbs, and soundplay is replaced by soundfx in the same vbs.

So i have put soundfx method everywhere it is needed, here is the script update

https://github.com/sverrewl/vpxtable_scripts/blob/master/Truck%20Stop%20(Bally%201988)%20-%20V1.0.0.vbs

Cheers

Arngrim

2 users thanked author for this post.
                agentEighty6
                Participant
                  @zigbane

Thanks Arngrim!  I do have an update planned so I’ll also include your script changes.

agentEighty6
                  Participant
                    @zigbane

Update: i released a new version of  the table with arngrims and thalamus sound related improvements and a few other image updates/enhancements from brandonlaw.  Thanks guys for the help improving the table!

ItchyRobot
                    Participant
                      @itchyrobot

What is the trucksp3.zip file for? Where do I put it?
                      Thanks

Badazzwi
                      Participant
                        @badazzwi

I haven’t loaded up the table yet but im going to assume its the rom. It goes in the vpinmame roms folder.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

ItchyRobot
                        Participant
                          @itchyrobot

I haven’t loaded up the table yet but im going to assume its the rom. It goes in the vpinmame roms folder.

doh! That must be it. I’m not used to the tables releasing with the roms

Peter Bergen
                          Participant
                            @piffer

First of all: compliments for this successful table. I played it a lot in my youth and was overjoyed with your conversion.
                            However, I noticed a mistake: Normally, after the 3 middle drop targets and the green target, the bonus multiple should be set higher and the target bank reset. Instead, neither of these happens. The drop targets remain down even when a new game is started. I’m using VPX 10.6 and the latest PinMame version. I have already tried another ROM, unfortunately with the same result. If you could help me fix it I would be very happy.
                            Many greetings from Hildesheim / Germany
                            Peter

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

Thanks for the update agentEighty6 / @zigbane ! :good:

STAT
                              Participant
                                @stefanaustria
                                MemberContributor

:good: thanks again !

agentEighty6
                                Participant
                                  @zigbane

I wanted to update this table because of the issue with the drop targets that @piffer had mentioned and to add a few more enhancements i’ve made.

But also, I was very impressed with JPs v3 physics update so i wanted to update to use that as well.

To me, the ball just seems to flow around the table so much better and doesnt seem as artificial.

I am actually planning to add his physics changes to the other tables I’ve made as well.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                  Mal
                                  Participant
                                    @malifica

Excellent update.

ItchyRobot
                                    Participant
                                      @itchyrobot

I wanted to update this table because of the issue with the drop targets that @piffer had mentioned and to add a few more enhancements i’ve made.

But also, I was very impressed with JPs v3 physics update so i wanted to update to use that as well.

To me, the ball just seems to flow around the table so much better and doesnt seem as artificial.

I am actually planning to add his physics changes to the other tables I’ve made as well.

Thanks for keeping your tables updated

bord
                                        @bord
                                        MembervipContributorModerator

Not crazy about the new physics but always appreciate the update.

agentEighty6
                                        Participant
                                          @zigbane

So tell me @bord, what are you not so crazy about?  Just curious because I thought using JPs v3 physics was an improvement over what had originally set up.

bord
                                            @bord
                                            MembervipContributorModerator

I think the high mass/low friction approach to physics were worked on quite a bit a few years ago by rothbauerw and wrd1972 but ultimately abandoned. I actually think JP’s previous physics were better. In some ways there are improvements – you get that nice left-right ball movement that makes pinball so dangerous and the ball certainly feels lively. But it introduces some problems that aren’t worth the exchange to me. Things get really weird at the flippers and rubbers – the ball seems to be bouncing itself and can’t quite calm down. It never gradually attentuates its speed as the friction of the playfield slows it down – it just slides and dances and bounces unnaturally on rubbers. Plays smooth but in real pinball the ball loses speed as it moves away from solenoid interaction (flippers, slings, bumpers) because of playfield friction.

I A/B tested your previous physics and I definitely like them better everywhere except right at the flippers where there just isn’t enough bounce, but that can be fixed.

These things are subjective and there are tradeoffs to any physics approach so I can understand where the liveliness of the ball with high mass/low friction is appealing and might be worth the tradeoff to some. Definitely not interested in disparaging updates and trying new things but thought I’d give some gentle pushback as I don’t think this is the second coming of VP physics.

Truly, thanks for keeping your projects updated and for working to improve them. It is appreciated.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 85 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?