**FIXED** blender uv help

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I have been struggling with this for a bit and need to get this kink worked out.  I imported a flat plastic from a table I am making into blender.  went to edit mode, then opened up uv unwrap and hit unwrap to make a uv map.  Why is the shape of the uv not the same as the obj on top.  Is there a way to make it the same, to apply an image.

blend

bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

Set up a camera directly overhead, make it orthographic, and use “project from view” as your UV mapping technique. Should give you a perfect 1:1 map.

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

did I ever mention I hate blender………………….  wheres the quick link for that, lol

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

numpad 7 = topdown

numpad 5 = toggle Perspective/Orthographic

quick enough ? Gambling now, but, I believe I’m right. I recommend that you take a peek at bord kicker cup tutorial and run a few tables through doing exactly what he does. Repeating, swearing and doing stuff over and over again at least got me over the worst frustration. Downloading a shortcut cheat sheet is also a good thing to have handy.

Tom
            Participant
              @armyaviation
              MemberContributor

yeah the camera thing is the one I don’t know.  I have never moved that before.  need to research

bord
                @bord

My apologies. Thalamus is right. Skip the camera and just view from overhead (numpad 7) and map it.

32assassin
                Participant
                  @32assassin

you can also use the view menu

Untitled

and if you export a primitive from VP

you should go into edit mode

press the “W” key and select “remove doubles”

DO NOT DO THIS FOR COMPLEX SHAPES.  you will loose some details.

you need to do this because VPX will export shapes with vertices right on top of each other.

you need to remove (merge)  the 2 vertices that are in the same place.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Tom
                  Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

ok tried the overhead view before and still the same.  It was remove doubles, thanks @32assassin.  That fixed my issue.  I love Blender!!!

Tom
                    Participant
                      @armyaviation
                      MemberContributor

i am still having issues with this and its really getting me discouraged.  In the past, I make a simple wall in vpx, lets say for a plastic, in the appropriate shape, and roughly say 4 vpx units thick.  I will copy this wall to a blank table and then export the table obj.   I go to blender and hit import, clamp size 100 Y forward -Z up.  I delete the playfield that comes in and the only thing thats left is the single plastic.  If i dont move anything, and all works, when i import the obj plastic back to vpx, the coordinates are 0,0 and its perfectly in place.

Now comes the issue, i select the plastic, hit tab, go to the bottom and go to the UV/image editor, and try and make a uv map for the image.  I tried the previously suggested views and removing doubles but its not working now.

ex1

if i hit unwrap, its sometimes closer but not exact

ex2

why is this so freaking hard.  I despise blender.  I tried to pick up inkscape and after watching 10 tutorial vids online i am now making plastics easily.   tried it with blender and wanted to punch myself

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

If it is not exact. Then you’ve got an issue with the way you are looking at the object. That is why Bord mentioned project from view and bounds. I know exactly your frustration. Inkscape ? Yes. It can be done that way too I guess. Only a couple of weeks back I tried to take a pic and convert it to a mesh, not via Inkscape, but, Illustator. Ended up with a shitload of triangles ( believe that is the term ) – object was simple. Saw Bords video for Seawitch where he created the plastic for the slingshot and I ended up making it fully in blender. Yes, blender is hard – but once you get the grips of the basics, it becomes very fun and addictive. I’m on the very noob level myself, end up having to redo a lot but as long as I know why that is. I’m ok with it.

I still think that the tutorial on creating kicker holes is very valuable. Not only for the kickers themselves, but, the way that he works. If you do the same as he does for the playfield going into uv editor, you will have a perfect uv map afterwards. Of course, you will have to have your object the active one instead of the pf. I made notes since I had troubles following what he did and even more important, why he did it. Now, it all makes sense and I’m able to do the same in different ways. A big leap forward.

But, of course. If you find Inkscape easier….  Just make sure that you’re having fun.

Btw. update your blender ;)

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

i just started inkscape to redraw plastics for my next build.  I think they turned out nice.  This was after about 7/  10 min tutorial videos.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f011wdiW7g

l sideupper pl1

I am trying to make the UVs for them now but maybe i will go back and start fresh with blender.  Its hard to even understand terminology if your not native to that tongue.  Kinda like you explaining something to me in Norwegian, although i could probably learn that better than Blender…

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

Haha. And, nå var du flink Tom. :good: ;-)

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

Inkscape is not the issue, i need a uv to put on the prim plastic, or i go back to making wall plastics which @randr hates and he will kick me off the site

ex3

New blender, more confusing, top down view, same result, i hate life

Tom
                              Participant
                                @armyaviation
                                MemberContributor

Blender kan suge ballene mine

bord
                                  @bord

Blender kan suge ballene mine

Lol. Been there, Tom.

I’ll pm you and we’ll set up a Google meeting or something.

Tom
                                  Participant
                                    @armyaviation
                                    MemberContributor

I finally figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   under unwrap there is a dropdown for method.  Either conformal or angle based……Angle based pisses me off…….. Thanks @bord for the offer..  very frustrating stuff

bord
                                      @bord

Sweet. Nice work!

JR
                                      Participant
                                        @jfr1

Dang Tom, you have a lot of energy.  I  admire your chutzpah.  My brief time working with blender was very difficult.  Bord spared me going insane with my project/idea and whipped out a clear ramp for his Space Shuttle …which I think is an amazing mod btw.

May I ask what table you are working on?  Funny, I thought Thal’s ‘nÃ¥ var du flink’ sounded mischievous.  Ha.  ‘Blender kan suge ballene mine’ would make for a good sig.

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus

LOL. Actually. Where I live, no one would raise their eyebrows using strong expressions like that. Very different from the South where they would almost start to cover their children’s ears. Glad you figured it out Tom. Now, you hate Blender just slightly less. I can’t say I’ve every come around to that problem. I honestly believe that using a newer Blender is like going from VP9 to VPX. Guess it all depends on what you’re used to and what guides to follow. I’m not able to follow Flupper’s plastic ramp tutorial for the opposite reason, at one place I’m getting stuck and are not able to figure out to do it in 2.8 and beyond.

Flupper
                                          Participant
                                            @philippe

I still hate Blender sometimes and I do think I really put my 10.000 hours into it. However, the good thing with Blender is that you are almost surely not the first person who is stuck at something; and that person probably has made a youtube tutorial about the solution in a thick foreign accent.

About moving to Blender 2.8: I postponed that quite some time, but it was a relieve for me that it wasn’t that hard (again: youtube…). It is more about relearning your shortcut reflexes and knowing your way around. Like getting a new car and not doing everything automatically anymore. One drawback is that switching between 2.7x and 2.8 makes your head hurt after you get used to 2.8, so I only do something in 2.7x when there is no other way.

about the ramp tutorial: I do indeed have to update that to 2.8…

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?