Boomerang (Bally 1974)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/boomerang-bally-1974/

Boomerang (Bally 1974)

This table has a few innovations (details below) built into it including:

Accurate spacial sound positioning for playfield objects with stereo or quad playfield speakers

Score motor based reel resets that exactly simulate a real EM

Animated spinner drive rod

Top arch ball hit and rolling sounds

Apron side drain hit and rolling sounds

Newly recorded sounds from Tropic Fun and Darling

PinballY High Score File

As usual for my tables, holding down the left flipper button for a few seconds after loading the table and before game play will bring up the Options Menu. Step through the Options with the left flipper button and select Options with the right flipper button.

The table has A-D targets that when hit light up the A-D rollovers in the captured ball lanes.  If all are lit, the Special lights at the top of the captured ball lanes turn on.  Hitting the targets at the top of the captured balls when the Special Lights are lit awards the Special.  All lights reset with a ball drain.

This table is the first to use new sound Subs with equations that accurately position a table object’s sound at its playfield location.  The new sound Subs also provide Constant Power pans and fades.  They are in effect for all of VPX’s Preferences / Audio Options.

The table options menu gives you the option of setting up the playfield speakers in one of three configurations:  Stereo front/rear (front playfield sounds come from the front speaker and rear playfield sounds come from the rear speaker), stereo Left/Right and quad Surround Sound.  In desktop mode, the stereo Left/Right configuration is automatically selected.

The table has a score motor routine that calculates the value of every reel and sets them back to zero stepping once for each score motor position in groups of 5.  While this has no bearing on game play, it exactly mimics EM score motor reel resets.  This works in both desktop and cab modes.

The table includes a B2S backglass with: sound1=””, sound2=”” . . .  sound10=”” added to each score reel in the table (open B2S in WordPad and hand edit each) and each reel has the delay set to 0 ms.  This removes all of the reel click sounds created by B2S so that the backglass doesn’t make grinding noises when setting reels.  It also removes delays in reel resets induced by the B2S delay settings.

The spinner rod is just too cool, thanks to Bord for the primitives.  Rip the spinner and you’ll see what I mean.

The table has a new feature that makes a realistic sound when the ball hits and rolls along the steel top arch of the table.  This is a sound that most EM tables lack and those few that have it, implement it into the plunger fire sound file.  This feature takes into account the ball’s position and velocity.

There is also a new apron rolling sound routine to mimic the sound the ball makes as it hits and rolls along the top edge of the apron after a side drain.

New sound files were recorded from my EM’s to replace the stock sound files that we all use.  I especially like the “boing” sound from the spring on the plunger fire sound and the dissimilar left and right flipper sounds and buzzes.  If you want to increase or decrease the volume of any sound, just edit the last value in the PlayfieldSound or PlayfieldSoundAB variables.

Lastly, MJR has added EM high score display capabilities to PinBallY.  Boomerang saves a special .pinballyhighscores file that can be read by Pinbally and used to display the game’s high scores on the DMD during the front end’s selection mode.  I think this is the first EM to take advantage of this functionality?

Thanks to Whirlwind for the awesome sound routines and hours of testing, Bord for the primitives and lighting effects, Editoy for the plastics and TXT11 for testing.

Total of 41 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Looks great and love the options.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

bjschneider93
        Participant
          @bjschneider93

Looks really good

Scottacus
          Participant
            @scottacus
            MembervipContributor

Thanks, my uncle owned this machine so I played it quite a bit as a kid in the late 70’s through the 80’s.

Please give me feedback on the new sound system settings.  If you have a cab with under playfield speakers choose the appropriate setting in the options menu (left flipper button hold when in standby mode) and drive the ball around the table using the “c” key along with the arrow buttons to listen to the locations of table objects as well as the rolling ball sounds.  If you play without a cab, don’t worry, the script will choose the appropriate settings automatically.

rothbauerw
              @rothbauerw
              ModeratorContributorMembervip

Looking forward to checking out the score motor logic!

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

Love the top arch sounds and all the sounds in general. Refreshing to hear a new take on EM audio.

This thing plays and sounds really, really nice. So glad you are here to push the envelope on how these things come to life in VP.

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Babysitting grandkids tonight but still loaded up on cab quick for a test and yeah it’s nice! These em tables have never looked better or sounded better. Oh and I turned chimes on first thing ha ha.

Thanks for another great table for the collection??

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                  for IOS and Android

Scottacus
                  Participant
                    @scottacus
                    MembervipContributor

Thanks guys, please feel free to steal anything that you like from the table.  We all do it and that’s how these tables keep getting better over time.

Tom
                    Participant
                      @armyaviation
                      MemberContributor

:good: Wow.  Looks amazing.  Can’t wait to play.  Thanks

clyde
                      Participant
                        @clyde

Excellent Table! Thank You. :good:

CastilianFly
                        Participant
                          @castilianfly

Looks and plays awesome. Great work :good:

TXT11
                          Participant
                            @txt11

Thanks for the mention in your credits Scottacus but it was ALL YOUR HARD WORK really !!! :yahoo:   B-)   :bye:

Happy to help the community whenever they want a tester !!! :-)

Drybonz
                            Participant
                              @drybonz

Thanks, Scottacus… I’ve been looking forward to seeing the finished table.

Jon Osborne
                              Participant
                                @jonosborne

I’m always a sucker for the best sound and now finally a new flagship in EM sound! Thanks for all your hard work. I’m looking forward to trying this out and implementing it into more classic EMs! ?

Jopp
                                Participant
                                  @joppnl

Looks gorgeous, never seen it in real so looking forward to play it tonight…and the details you described about the sound positioning and all the features…amazing….will have a look (or better said ‘hear’) on that (and drain the ball even quicker then  :yes:

Thanks!

My favorite pinball machine?
                                  Where I can put my name on as Grand Champion....

Genesis38
                                  Participant
                                    @genesis38

Absolutely incredible work guys! VPX continues to get better every day with talented people such as yourselves and I am so happy to be part of this truly amazing community and hobby. This table alone, makes me appreciate EM tables so much more  :rose:

Thank you so much for all your hard work!!

Oldschool4
                                    Participant
                                      @oldschool4

Thankyou very much Scottacus, love the Spinner sound, I can throw a (real) Boomerang,and  have Kangaroos over the back fence. :yes:

STAT
                                      Participant
                                        @stefanaustria
                                        MemberContributor

Thanks, Scottacus … great VPX again from you :good:

JR
                                        Participant
                                          @jfr1

Holy cow.  This is stunning.  Thanks Scottacus and crew!

dazzadasha
                                          Participant
                                            @dazzadasha

Cheers from down under, very nice job, excellent, thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?