Boomerang (Bally 1974)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

The only pinball game that I played with any regularity as a kid was my uncle’s Boomerang that he had in his basement.  It was on this machine that I learned that there was more to pinball than just pressing both of the flippers at one time and hoping the ball didn’t drain!

Drybonz had a really nice playfield redraw that Bord let me know about and I’ve started putting together the table.  It has my standard options menu system and low level EM management scripting as 4MBC, Capersville, Gulfstream, Mariner and Sea Ray.  I wanted to get started on this a couple of weeks ago but I’ve been busy writing script for Updon and Bord’s Air Aces table.

Here is a screen shot of the progress thus far.

Untitled

Attachments:
      2 users thanked author for this post.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Wow another super choice. Very neat table :good:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Drybonz
        Participant
          @drybonz

Looking good, Scottacus.    :good:

Scottacus
          Participant
            @scottacus
            MembervipContributor

Thanks!   The Air Aces table turned out really nice and was fun to do because Bord and Updon did all the art, layout and physics settings so all I had to do was spend a week or so writing the script.   Bord will do his blender magic and KDS70 is going to beta test my script before Bord and Updon release the table.

I’ve been pouring over the Boomerang table schematics and I watched a few game play videos.  It is interesting to note that watching only one game play video can give you the wrong impression about the tables rule set.  For example one video had a table with no functioning chime unit but I know from my uncle’s machine (sold years ago) and the other videos that the table does have a chime unit.   Another showed that the ring of lights in the center of the table scored 100 points each but did not advance the 1000 point bonus tree while the schematic shows that the 100 point ring does advance the 1000 point bonus tree.

I’m no expert at reading EM schematics but I’ve learned that they are one of the best source of information on tables that there is!

bord
              @bord
              MembervipContributorModerator

Looking great so far! So glad this project is happening.

Slydog43
              Participant
                @slydog43

Love your tables, they play just great!!!

Scottacus
                Participant
                  @scottacus
                  MembervipContributor

Making good progress, all of the play related objects are in place and coded so I have a working version.  The problem is that I remember that my uncle’s table was pretty tough to play and it is easy to get high scores on this VP version so I need to make it play a bit harder.  I also need to get all of the rest of the posts, GI lights and plastics in place.

Untitled-1

Attachments:
                  1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Scottacus
                  Participant
                    @scottacus
                    MembervipContributor

New B2s to go with the table.  This one has cleaned up graphics and roll over 100,000 point lights.  This is something the old B2S did’t have but are seen in the silvered side of the backglasses seen online.

Untitled-2

Attachments:
                    randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Such amazing attention to the details. Loving these builds lately! Man I really need to refresh a few of mine it’s embarrassing! But that’s a good thing.

for IOS and Android

bord
                        @bord

At the end of 2018 I want to tally up all the classic Bally EMs that were made this year. It has been fun seeing how they evolved over the years. Lots of cool innovation.

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

@bord no kidding! It’s been a great year for the classics. I will get at least one finished yet this year yet

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Drybonz
                          Participant
                            @drybonz

This is looking great.  I had that redraw sitting in a folder for probably close to a year (or something).  Really glad that it made its way to a wip, and Scottacus has this table looking very nice so far!    :good:

Cognis
                            Participant
                              @cognis

Wow.  Table looks amazing.  Never heard of it but now that I see the playfield I can’t wait to give all those targets a try.

Would it be possible to put SkyLab into the mix of potential builds?  Not a challenging table to play but was my first ever table which was in a roller rink when I was in grade school.  Had to use the wooden step stool they had (for use without skates of course).

bord
                                @bord

@cognis, Skylab/Spacelab would be awesome but needs new resources. If you can find hi res scans of the playfield and plastics I’ll do the rest.

32assassin
                                Participant
                                  @32assassin

thanks

if you need a wheel, feel free to include this redraw i did.for the beta table that was released a few years back

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                                  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

BorgDog
                                  Participant
                                    @borgdog
                                    MemberContributorvip

@cognis, Skylab/Spacelab would be awesome but needs new resources. If you can find hi res scans of the playfield and plastics I’ll do the rest.

Those are in my future projects list, if you happen to notice some similarity in the attached images. Although I’d be have no qualms if anybody else wanted to tackle them.  I would think these would be a pretty easy playfield for a redraw for one of the guys that I’ve seen offer to do that sort of thing. probably the plastics as well. I’ve been in contact with someone on pinside who said he would share some images of his skylab he’s doing a refurb on, we’ll see what comes of it.

Loserman76
                                    Participant
                                      @loserman76
                                      vipMemberContributor

Wishful thinking but if someone happened to have good playfield & plastics images for Flicker, could be a drop-in replacement on Boomerang…

I’ll go back into my cave now…

LM

Scottacus
                                      Participant
                                        @scottacus
                                        MembervipContributor

I agree LM, Boomerang and Flicker are essentially the same machines with different artwork.  Flicker’s artwork is much more elaborate than Boomerang’s but does anyone know who did the Boomerang artwork?  The answer will surprise many of you!

BorgDog’s Darling is one of the best VP EM machines released in the last year.  I have no familiarity with Skylab but I think the Darling/Jubilee would be the perfect core to build Skylab on.

Loserman76
                                        Participant
                                          @loserman76
                                          vipMemberContributor

Yep Flicker is way more going on with that playfield. Lots of faces and details. Would not be an easy task by any means.

But that being said, looking forward to Boomerang being released.

Loserman76
                                          Participant
                                            @loserman76
                                            vipMemberContributor

In case you are still looking for some good images of the plastics – there are some good images here of most of the plastics:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/60483

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?