Branded Pinball Game – Software License?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    egmontmayer
    Participant
      @egmontmayer

Hello All!
      I am quite new to VPinball. I work for an interactive company making AR/VR and game experiences for brands. One of our customers wants to have a custom Pinball machine branded to his company and products. After having done extensive research, we came to the conclusion that with the budget available, only a digital Pinball machine doable.

We have experience with Unity and Unreal development but consider using VPinball, as it is tailor-made for Pinball machines.

My question is regarding the software license:

The Client will pay us to develop a game and we will be using VPinball to achieve this. Once the game is finished the client will run this game in his shop for his customers. The customers playing the game don’t need to pay for playing the game, but it serves our client as a form of advertisement. No other game titles will be installed on the machine.

I read on Wikipedia that VPinball is free for non-commercial use. So would this setup be in violation of the Software License?

How would you go about obtaining a commercial license?

Many Thanks in advance! Egmont

LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

This sort of question might be better asked over at VPForums.org, as that’s where most of the development of Visual Pinball itself actually happens, and where the developers are most active.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

The Loafer
        Participant
          @theloafer

just so it’s clear:  vpinball (this site) and visual pinball are two different things.  LynninDenver provided great advice: the devs are also here but most development is at vpforums.org.  In saying that, this isn’t really a development question but a legal issue, so they can probably answer here.

@toxie
          , @fuzzle:  any comments?

egmontmayer
          Participant
            @egmontmayer

Thanks for the help, I will take a look at those forums!

toxie
            Participant
              @toxie
              VP DEVMember

The license says its not for commercial use, but i think the use case your describing is kind of in a gray zone, as the main ‘value’ comes from the table that is created here and not VPX itself. And also no money is earned by selling VPX or any ‘foreign’ tables here, but from the new table itself.

But i’m not in the position to declare that this is legally fine or not, its just my personal opinion.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?