Building my first cabinet-No name yet

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kaszi46
    Participant
      @kaszi46

Hi pinheads!

So after lots of dreaming i finally decided, i will build my own pincab. After countless hours of watching tutorials and setuping vpx, pinup player etc i reached the next phase, to actually start buying the hardwers. First i would like to buy the playfield tv and the pc, and this is where i need a little help.

the plan is 4k playfield. So the tv what i found is the LG 43UM7600PLB. Its an IPS 4k 60hz tv, with 10.8ms input lag(according to rtings rating https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/um7300) when the gaming mode is activated.

Is it a good tv for pinball playfield? Or is there any better alternative?

my other question is what videocard is good for 4k pinballing(vpx,fp,pfx3) im only interested in nvidia cards.

so thats it for now, hopefully someone can help me out!

thanx guys!

Gwen
      Participant
        @gwen

As far as the playfield display goes I would definitely recommend considering a 4k computer monitor rather than a TV.  You will get much better performance with the monitor (lower latency, and sharper graphics usually).  You can pick up a very good 43″ 4k monitor for $500-$600 these days and they’re well worth it.

Above all, have fun with your build!

Gwen
        - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

Kaszi46
        Participant
          @kaszi46

Thanks Gwen, i joust ordered the Acer ET430Kwmiippx UHD monitor 43″ in a last second black Friday deal!

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

I was always told of the saying, a boat owners two happiest days is the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat.  A vpin players  happiest day is the day he starts his cab build and the saddest day is the day he finishes his cab.  Enjoy every second of building it because your gonna miss it.  Everyday I think of some way to add to mine but….. it’s done…. :cry:

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Kaszi46
            Participant
              @kaszi46

I thought it’s like building your own house, it’s never going to be finished. You will always find something to improve, fix, tinker…etc

thanks the kind words btw! :)

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

No it sucks.  There is literally only so much you can add.  Now software wise, the sky’s the limit

zimbakin
                Participant
                  @zimbakin

I agree with Gwen, a 4K monitor will have the best latency. That being said, I did use a 4K LG in my build and couldn’t be happier. There’s no noticeable lag I can report.

Never take advice from me,
                  you'll end up drunk.

Kaszi46
                  Participant
                    @kaszi46

is it he 43″ LG 43UD79?

Kaszi46
                    Participant
                      @kaszi46

oh, and i ordered 2 monitor so far. The Acer ET430K and the Philips BDM4350UC. Both has pretty much the same specs, but for some reason the acer one has a much better picture quality over all. Especially from the portrait viewing angle. Input lag vise no difference.

So im sending back the philips one.

Unfortunately the acer menu joystick is faulty on my unit, and the shop is not able to order this monitor anymore so they cant swap it. I can order the same model from a different shop for a higher price, or send it to the acer repair center, which is the Czeh republic(im living in Hungary). I dont know what i will do yet.

now i found this  LG 43UD79, and maybe i will order this one as well for testing and who knows, this can be the winner one.

here is a picture with the acer:

20191126_160255

zimbakin
                      Participant
                        @zimbakin

I went with the LG 43UK65
                        Has good side viewing angle, good price and works great.

—there may be better screens, however price increases dramatically. This is a good balance between price/performance.

Never take advice from me,
                        you'll end up drunk.

KrakenByte (LEGACY)
                        Participant
                          @acespike

Hi everybody!

I’m also in the same step of my project: choosing monitor.

OK, guys: What do you think about these ultimate gaming monitors like ROG Strix XG438Q, PREDATOR CG7 or the last anunced ROG Strix XG43UQ?

Their specifications are amazing like their so expensive prices, of course. But, could be extra frames and high refresh rate a really adventage factor in virtual pinball? We are talking about doubling the frecuency from 60Hz to 120Hz or even more to 144Hz, variable refresh rate techniques (G-SYNC, FreeSync 2) and adding HDR to the mix.

Will be necessary to add any high end graphic card to rule any of them? Will be enought with RTX 2080 Super? I suposse that it is mandatory to get more than 144 FPS in VPX to enjoy the 144Hz, isn’t it?

In the other part, all they are VA panels instead the very well loved IPS panels. Is it a fail?

Thanks!

KrakenByte Kraken

Thalamus
                            @thalamus
                            ContributorMemberModerator

Some of your questions about refresh rate is answered here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31kZbAXsA

In general, it is better to have a gpu that can overrun the hz of your monitor. I would say that having a monitor with higher than 60 mhz doesn’t hurt, but, then again, do you really need it ? Make sure the GPU is powerful enough and you should be fine. Asking people for what monitor they recommend is kind of hopeless. You have to be a hardware tester in order to come up with a good answer. I doubt you find many of them in these forums. We tend to buy what we believe is good enough, and sometime we are not happy with what we’ve bough and send it back for a better model or brand.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?