Building my first VPIN Cabinet Need advice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Shazam0527
    Participant
      @shazam0527

Hi All!  :)  A friend of mine is a member and he suggested I come here to discuss what I’m looking for.  I have built mame arcade cabinets and it sparked my lust for a virtual pin cabinet.  I’ve looked all over and found numerous “videos” showing a build but I’m hoping to find some plans out there somewhere that shows all the required supplies I would need (i.e. buttons, computer components (Would really like to use a Raspberry PI 3), Monitors and sizes, and required lumber.

Any advice would be received by an incredibly grateful user and vpin noobie :)

Thanks!

Shazam0527
      Participant
        @shazam0527

Ps. never even played a virtual pinball system – I’ve always been traditional pinball machines.  So I don’t even know what software to use, frontends etc..

Thanks!

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

I just used one of my pins as a guide to make my digital pinball(twilight zone) as for a list? That can be subject to change depending on cost you have in mind. Pi 3 won’t be good enough you need a fairly decent system to enjoy vp properly. What’s your budget?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

Shazam0527
          Participant
            @shazam0527

I’d like to keep it around $1000 if possible :)

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

Only way I can see that is if you have used tv’s/monitors and a used computer and a gutted pinball machine already built. I have that in playfield monitor(47″) and backglass monitor(30″) plus third dmd. If you have the stuff laying around then it is doable maybe

for IOS and Android

Shazam0527
              Participant
                @shazam0527

I do have 2 tv’s (currently 38 and 25 inch – possibly going to buy a new 42 inch) and I have a Motherboard, processor, and video card already.

Does a Mini pinball cabinet (i.e. using the 38 and 25 screens) look cheesy?

RustyCardores
                  @rustycardores
                  MemberModerator

$1000 only if you can get LOTS of spare parts as randr suggested.

In Australian Dollars here is what it cost me…

Computer: $1300
                  Speakers: $100
                  Screens: $440 & $280
                  Legs: $130
                  Glass: $180
                  Timber: (18mm for boxes) $400 – (Pine for supports etc) $100
                  Paint: $200
                  Fans/Controllers/Buttons/Etc: $200’ish

Plus heaps of other bit’s and pieces that easily round it out to about $4000 (and that’s a 2 screen setup – no DMD)

Nemo
                  Participant
                    @nemo

My cab started out as a budget conscious build, but found myself pooring in more & more money over the years, in the end it did cost a fair chunk of ca$h.

Now if you want a bomb of a machine then 1000 bucks won’t cut it, not even with parts you may already have. But for a “starter cab” it is absolutely doable especially with that 38″ you already got. Now if your just a bit handy you can cut costs considerably by “re-using/altering/hacking” parts you may have.

And just my opinion, mini cabs are cute but true size is the way to go.

Phil Docker
                    Participant
                      @dock

I would always go for used PC parts – stuff two years old will cost half (or less) the price than new.

Go for a good i5 or i7 processor.
                      2gb Nividia graphic card (make sure its DDR5) – something like a 660 works well….
                      8gb ram
                      37 inch TV used…. loads on ebay
                      27 inch TV used (again ebay)
                      Search pinball forums for someone selling a cab.  It will be easier than making one from scratch.
                      Glass – again get used….
                      DOF (solenoids etc) – get later when you have more money
                      Get a good PC power supply and an SSD (120g is okay)

You can even make your own digital plunger 0r for now – just use a launch button….
                      Get a cheap USB to keyboard ipac unit for the buttons – cheap on ebay.

Once you add amps/solenoids etc – I would invest on an additional 12v power unit (again cheap on ebay).

Be prepared to have a lot of satisfaction – and a lot of times being annoyed why stuff isnt working.
                      The forums are great to get answers – every issue you have had – someone else has and got over it.

I am on my 2nd cab now – as my 1st cab is going to a good friend to help me fund buying a cirqus voltaire.

Keep 100s of hours spare too………

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

Phil all good information!

********************************************************
                        for IOS and Android

********************************************************

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?