Cabinet Apron

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Conehead
    Participant
      @conehead

Hi all,

When I’m ordering the cabinet there’s a choice of ordering an apron as well.  Is this just a physical apron as opposed to the virtual aprons that come with each of the games anyway?  If so, then I assume that I shouldn’t buy it otherwise it will just cover up the custom aprons that accompany each game, is that a correct understanding?

Thanks!

bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

Where are you ordering a cab from?

Conehead
        Participant
          @conehead

VirtuaPin

JR
          Participant
            @jfr1

So you haven’t ordered the cab kit yet?  Hm.  I’m not sure how Vpin’s stuff looks these days but you probably need the apron.  Unless the pf monitor butts up to the very front of the cab, you need something to fill that space.  Even if it seems redundant.  Which I never notice while playing my set-up.

20200826_230603

Conehead
            Participant
              @conehead

That’s great input, and thanks for the pic!

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

I would google virtual pinball cabinet and look at one pics.  I would venture to say that most don’t have an apron.  If you are spending the amount of money that I think you are on a kit from virtuapin, that damn tv better fit perfect.

Conehead
                Participant
                  @conehead

Yes, I suspect that I won’t need an apron but I sent off a note to VirtuaPin to ask anyway.  I’ve watched a lot of videos on various virtual pinball companies and this one is quite impressive.  Very expensive though.

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

Virtuapin is a company affiliated with vpforums.  You would likely get more support over there, or I hope you would.  I still say build your own but to each his own, good luck

Conehead
                    Participant
                      @conehead

I’m not building the cabinet itself but I am putting everything else together, i.e. the feedback, PC, games, etc.  I’m just getting the shell from VirtuaPin.

bord
                        @bord

I’m sure the cab is built well. Definitely on the pricey side but I’ve never heard any complaints about the product. Check out the OakMicros products to outfit it. The Pinscape AIO is a great value.

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

If you are building everything else I can live with that.  Besides playing the thing, building it is half the fun, serious

themotherbrain
                          Participant
                            @themotherbrain

If you have the plunger kit installed in the standard spot you will want the apron because your monitor will hit otherwise

My buddy and I bought 2 empty Virtuapin shells and got a break on the price buying 2 at once. I’m perfectly capable of building my own, but by the time I factored materials, time, and labor, it just wasn’t worth the hassle trying to build in between 60 hr work weeks. I’m spending that extra effort on everything going on inside and I have since modified the cab with a few of my own personal touches. I plan to share my build in the near future once things calm down a bit around here.

As said already, they cost $, but they are built like tanks and we are quite happy with them. I mean its a william cab clone so what’s not to like. I can certainly vouch for VP if you are worried about quality. You can waste so much time if your lumber starts to twist or warp as you build. I know I have to go through stacks of lumber at the store to find one piece I’m happy with.

Im actually planning to share my build here in the near future once I get some time to type it all out.

Also of you don’t get fully trimmed ask for the wiring harness (I believe you can buy just the harness) if you want to save some hassle there.

Conehead
                            Participant
                              @conehead

I’m sure the cab is built well. Definitely on the pricey side but I’ve never heard any complaints about the product. Check out the OakMicros products to outfit it. The Pinscape AIO is a great value.

I’ve seen comments from others as well that VirtuaPin is quite pricey, but I don’t see it as being outrageously more expensive.  For example, RecRoomMasters offers a cab for $749 with no controls, limited trim (i.e. no legs), and speaker grills (i.e. no speakers), and it’s a 40″ cabinet.  The semi-equivalent 43″ cabinet from VirtuaPin is $699.  Granted, once you add the full trim it is more expensive but again, not outrageously so and it’s a larger cab made of wood, and I think RecRoomMasters cab is made of MFC (I could be wrong).  In the end I agree that VirtuaPin is more expensive, but just incrementally by a couple hundred at the most, when you compare apples to apples.

And I fully agree that building this thing is a LOT of fun.  I love doing the research, getting other’s opinions/views, pricing things out, etc.  It’s been a blast so far and I wish it could continue, but one of these days I’ll have the cab fully up and running.  The great thing about this hobby though is that there are always going to be newer and better tables being created, which will require setting up, perhaps upgrading something in the cab to support it, etc., so the hobby has staying power.  Plus, it’s a great community to chat with others about their own projects.

Conehead
                              Participant
                                @conehead

“I’m perfectly capable of building my own, but by the time I factored materials, time, and labor, it just wasn’t worth the hassle trying to build in between 60 hr work weeks.”

“You can waste so much time if your lumber starts to twist or warp as you build. I know I have to go through stacks of lumber at the store to find one piece I’m happy with.”

Yes, this is exactly the same thought process I went through when I decided to just get the cab made, and I would do the rest.  Would love to see your finished product one day!

Conehead
                                Participant
                                  @conehead

Thanks for this!  I was also considering Zebboards EZKit.  Any thoughts on it?

bord
                                    @bord

Zeb’s stuff is quality. I used his plunger kit for years. That is definitely the non-DIY inclined way to go. It’s all done for you at double the cost of DIY.

Pinscape AIO saves you the board work but you still do your wiring and solenoids. As always a time/money equation.

themotherbrain
                                    Participant
                                      @themotherbrain

I have zebs lightbar, shaker, solenoid driver board with watchdog timer. Id still probably buy the ez kits again even though I understand the drivers board, etc now. I figure its spreading the load worst case scenario. Id probably wire my own solenoids though, but thats just me.

I haven’t actually used the solenoids yet but I love the lightbar and shaker. I ran my front cab buttons off of his extra lines of the shaker. Both were out of the box and working inside a few minutes. Its hard to beat that convenience when there is so much to do elsewhere.

I have oaksmicro led drivers and his fuse block, which is also a work in progress. I was super happy to find them as I wasn’t looking forward to soldering and testing a teensy board I had no idea how to use. The oaks even has an led test button, which is what sold it for me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?