CARtoons (2017)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    HauntFreaks
      @hauntfreaks
      vipContributorMember

CARtoons (2017) v2.3

yeah , yeah,… I know it’s a long time comin’ was it all worth it?… only you guys can decide if
      this has some real passion behind it. My whole life I have loved this type of art. CARtoons was a car comic book, it basically was the more family friendly version of Ed “Big Daddy” Roth’s monster art cars and rat fink.
      It featured artists like George Trosley, Dave “Big” Deal, Shawn Kerri, Steve Austin, just a few of my favourites.

During some posts about the Rat Fink table… SliderPoint (mike) and I spoke about the old magazine and was told it had been re-released… in celebration of this, and having LOTs of art from the mag, I decided to throw something together. This idea snowballed into a desire to build an “aged” look table… I always loved BorgDog’s (Dan) Gemini table, it being a “real” distressed playfield… so I used the components of Gemini as a start for the table, thinking it would be a quick throw together table since it was scripted(eye roll).

I had gotten ahead of myself building and ageing the playfield. I say this because I aged it way too soon… this was not a fun task and I wasn’t willing to redo it…but that’s a whole other story….

Now that the scene was set, I have an aged PF and now I needed to figure out how I could age the plastics and 3D modelled parts and wire guides. After a bit of playing around, it was all figured out, now for the rubbers. I tried many colors, materials and textures, nothing was working… Mike sent me a texture and god damn it looked awesome. It’s one of my fav things in the table (thanks Mike)…. Mike also added some lighting effects, like a light with a bad ground and power draw from the power supply… it really came out great…

I had an idea for a special effect back when this table was started. Our awesome VP Devs had added an animation feature and I really wanted to use this table as a showcase for the great features given to us by the devs. I don’t want to give away the name of this effect just yet, you guys will see it soon enough. Anyway, I needed a 3D model for this and it was pretty easy to find one. I made a texture for it, and it was done…. yeah right, now it needed to animate. I had no clue how I was going to do this… I first talked to Randr and Dark… both took the time from other projects to throw in their talents so we were getting there. Next it needed to be sent to our VP devs Toxie and Fuzzel, voilà! The animation worked, now it needed to move and react within the table… I asked Dan, “so can it be done?” I believe his answer was something like , “I’m sure it could but wont be easy.” So I asked “how about just a little?” He messed with it for a few days and sure as shit, it moved … but could it do more??

This is the part of the story where I flake out and need to give VP a rest for a while and take care of real life… Fast forward 8-9 months… I return to the scene. While I was gone, Dan and Mike had turned what I thought was an over ambitious dream into reality. Now we’re back to me being too quick in ageing the PF , I had never added the scoring to the PF… and I was not redoing the PF. Fast forward another 4 months or so… its time to put this thing to rest. I decided to add the scoring to the inserts… more ageing to all the other crap it needed and my part was complete….

Back to the “special effect,” I think only Dan and Mike can explain this and I will have them explain in more detail.. again you guys will really enjoy this. Well at least Dan and Mike, and I think you will… I love it!!
      sorry again this lingered so long, I take 100% responsibility

please see the installation tab for how to use the options menu

Total of 48 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
      HauntFreaks
        @hauntfreaks
        vipContributorMember

LayLow did a real nice video with lots of roach action!!

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

:good: I love this table. Thanks haunt and borgdog

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

ckpin
          Participant
            @ckpin

Innovative and realistic.  Thank you. It was worth the wait.  Probably not a game to play before bedtime :-) .

xenonph
            Participant
              @xenonph
              MemberContributor

Love it and the effects are amazing!!

Thank you all for the hard work put into this!!

Kalavera3
              Participant
                @kalavera3

A beautiful table, good Job, and excellent quality, go to play now :yahoo:

Jinxy
                Participant
                  @jinxy

Wow well worth the wait, the cockroaches freaked  me out.

The details you put in to this are simply amazing, the lighting is so cool as it fades in and out with the flippers.

Ben Logan2
                  Participant
                    @benlogan2

I can’t stop zooming in and mousing around the screenshot alone. Truly a work of art. Such detail! Absolutely unique.

Thalamus
                      @thalamus
                      ContributorMemberModerator

Where is the 5x Thanks button ?? Unexpected and very happy to see this table being completed. Off to work soon, but, this is something I’m really looking forward to return back to.

Thank you so much … Hauntfreaks, Sliderpoint, BorgDog, Randr, Dark, Toxie and Fuzzel :rose:

And yeah. I agree about Gemini. Now I have two great looking (?) tables to show to friends. I like the look on their faces when I scroll through tables and the rust bucket arrives. Ratfink often also raises eyebrows.

Rajo Joey
                      Participant
                        @joey2001

We are waiting a long time for this table. Was it worth it?

YES! :yahoo:   :yahoo:   :yahoo:

It was terrific. :good:

marie
                        Participant
                          @marie

My daughter’s reaction to the roaches was immortal! :good:   Thanks for this beauty!

LeChucksBeard
                          Participant
                            @lechucksbeard

This is awesome and beautiful. Simple gameplay compared to the other tables I’ve installed but the sounds of this bring me back to French bars in the 70s/early 80s :)

Do you have any advice on modifying the point of view a bit for more depth for cabinet/full screen?

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

Lol, I actually got a little bit of a scare when the cockroach appeared for the first time in-game. I thought that the animation you talked about was in the start of the game and was over. Wife wanted to play, and was determined to kill him. I believe she was disappointed that she couldn’t. :-(   Absolutely amazing artwork going on here and the inventiveness of the roaches – what can I say. At first I felt like I needed to be careful because the rubbers where on the edge of breaking. This is a guaranteed table to show off to my friends. Simply impressive ! :good:   :yes:

I noticed a few times that there was a graphics glitch in the area of the scoring tape where you could see through the apron at times.

BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

LOL no I don’t think you can actually kill the roach, they are tough buggers, but you can hit him and deflect him.  He does have some issues from time to time that require a table restart, either getting stuck somewhere, or one time I somehow managed to get him to act like a second ball in play where I could bash him around with the flippers, no idea how that happened however.

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

what really blows me away on haunts builds is the layout of artwork.. I really look at this table and think it looks this could be a real pinball design! really great stuff and proud to finally have it on my cab! Did anyone notice the startup tune it plays? awesome on my chime unit i must say!

********************************************************
                                  Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                  for IOS and Android

********************************************************

arconovum
                                  Participant
                                    @nicholaschristopher
                                    MemberContributor

You are truly fucking brilliant Haunts.. Its a goddamned masterpiece, if that’s what time gives than everyone should take the time. I will enjoy this table until death do us part!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                    HauntFreaks
                                      @hauntfreaks
                                      vipContributorMember

more like this…. make sure you play it at 2x speed

STAT
                                      Participant
                                        @stefanaustria
                                        MemberContributor

LOL i had a good laugh now, first – of Course, i know, thats “Computer” Cockroach or Bug’s, whatever,
                                        but then i let my Girl do a Game, and she didn’ know, whats going on here now :yes:
                                        Awesome with this Pinball … :yes:  Great Idea, thanks Hauntfreaks

Mark70
                                        Participant
                                          @mark70

That’s amazing, like just found in a barn and switching on the power to try if it’s still working.
                                          Any plans for a flooded or burned edition? :)))

Johngreve
                                          Participant
                                            @johngreve

This is pure genius…..I’ve been wondering what happened as I haven’t heard anything about this table recently but man…it was worth the wait.The amount of detail is terrific, I love the paint peeling off the playfield look,very convincing. The yellowed scotch tape holding the left plastic together,the spider webs/cobwebs,the rusty ball and cracked paint on the BG really add to the illusion. Nice touch with the instruction sheet changing when switching from 3 to 5 ball play. Never seen that before.

The cockroaches are just awesome…the first time I loaded the table I caught the movement out of the corner of my eye and I giggled out loud with a big s**t eating grin on my face. I closed out the table and reloaded it just to see it again. Incredible….I’ll tell you, you folks, the artists and programmers, script guys and just plain creative guys just blow me away with all your talent. I’m so envious of the talent, you have it and it just come natural to you…..believe me…nothing natural about it though. It’s a gift and I didn’t get it…..really envious here. Anyway, I digress, back to the roaches, what an awesome effect to have them scurrying around during gameplay. Looks so cool and convincing. Absolutely love the flickering effect of the playfield GI lighting, makes me want to pop the hood and clean the connectors.The table plays like a dream too. I’d put this table up against any of the more modern era pins, it’s that good.

So to answer your question whether it was worth the wait my answer is a resounding Yes! The whole package is just brilliantly conceived and implemented. Thanks to everyone who contributed their time and hard work to creating this masterpiece. It’s unrivaled.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?