Certain VPX tables not starting based on name

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Itchigo
    Participant
      @itchigo

I am having a problem with certain VPX tables I don’t understand. I have about 6 or so tables (out of 770 working) with this issue. Here’s an example.

Breakshot (Capcom 1996)_Bigus(MOD)1.1  If I leave this name on the table it works fine.

If I rename it Breakshot (actual file name, I am not talking about in the editor)- the table comes up, but doesn’t start. No DMD. I don’t know of anything requiring the tablename to be anything special, except the backglass matching of course. I should be able to name the table whatever I want, so long as the backglass matches.

Another example is Gorgar. If I named the table Gorgar it wouldn’t work. Naming it Gorgar1980 works.

The same with Blackout. Only Blackout1980 works. I got frustrated and named it pieceofshit, surprisingly it worked lol.

I never had this happen in vp9, I have no idea what’s going on. I am guessing if I was missing a file, I’d have a lot more tables not working.

Anyone know what’s going on??

Be a Rogue! http://roguepinball.com/ Full Screen DirectB2s Tables no one else has!

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

No, I can call my tables what I want here. Why you are seeing this, surprises me.

outhere
          @outhere
          MemberContributorvipModerator

It works fine for me

Itchigo
          Participant
            @itchigo

Is there something in the core files that requires tablename, a year, or version? I noticed (I think) that the tables in question have their own .b2s files (Breakshot.vbs, etc).

Be a Rogue! http://roguepinball.com/ Full Screen DirectB2s Tables no one else has!

Thalamus
              @thalamus

Ah. I know what is going on. You already have a file in your tables folder that is named ali.vbs – so, when there is a match between the tablename and a vbs script file in the same folder. As you start to load the table it will pick up the vbs file that is named exactly the same and replace it on loading. This came on 10.4. I use it a lot to help people update their vpx table to support ssf ( surround sound feedback ). Of course, many tables before 10.4 was made, but, they didn’t have any surround code in them. That is why I made the gitrepo and updated script for many hundreds of tables. We still use that repo, but, nowadays it is mostly me and arngrim that posts updates to tables for dof and ssf, to help the authors out. Or if the author doesn’t give a damn, the end user can download it and put it in the tables folder. Load the game – test it – and if he likes the changes. Press save, and delete the script afterwards.

https://github.com/sverrewl/vpxtable_scripts

There are NOT only ssf fixes in there. I advice you to have a look at it. But, don’t leave *.vbs files there longer than you need them. If you want to fix something quick and there is such a file there. You won’t save the update to the table because once you load it again … what happens ? Overwritten by the side-card *.vbs.

Even for you, a old timer, the rule of not keeping *.vbs files in tables folder is very valid.

Itchigo
              Participant
                @itchigo

The Ali.vbs dates at least back to my vp9 setup. I was always told (or got an error) that they should be in the tables folder. Right now I have them in scripts and tables, just to be safe.

Something I wouldn’t have thought of, removing the script folder for the individual table, seems to have worked. So far I’ve fixed Gorgar, Blackout, Gladiators, and Ali. Breakshot is the only holdout I think. Once I get the Pinball X filenames updated on the other tables, I’ll tear into that.

I did download those scripts, just in case.

Thanks for this!

Thalamus
                  @thalamus

Yeah. Well, there is a problem with the way you are doing this – if you renamed those tables of yours, the scripts that I’ve provided doesn’t any longer match the table name. I tend to jump up and down in excitement when I see new tables released but if they keep the names the same as before, it would crash with the fix in the repo and some poor dude might think that my script is still the newest one. I urge everyone to keep version names if you’re going to use those repo files. I probably should not have scripts up there without version numbers at all, just to be one the safe side. But, well – the end users is urged to test it before pressing save :)

What you should do is to move absolutely all your vbs scripts out of the tables folder, into scripts folder. Then download 10.7 beta, and take all those scripts and overwrite all the scripts all over again. I’ve seen some old tables that required that the script is put into tables folder, but, it is a small change in the table to fix it. I don’t remember the fix though. It is somewhere in these or vpf forums. Doing it this way you will be updated and free of further issue – I’m quite sure.

But, – be smart about it – make some kind of backup – just in case.

Itchigo
                  Participant
                    @itchigo

Actually, I didn’t replace any scripts. I took them out of the folder so they couldn’t be found and the tables worked right away. After they worked I deleted them. (I have copies of the scripts on another machine). The machine I’m on now used to be my cab (vp9). Last year I finally gave the cab it’s own pc (Ryzen5 2400, Asrock x470 master SLI, with 16g of ram, and a 1050ti. I’m still running 7 on both machines though.

Edit: I had them in both folders. I’ll take them all out of the tables folder. I just remembered errors like “can’t start, make this is in the same folder as the table”. Maybe that was vp9, I really haven’t played with vpx until the shutdown.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?