Changes to Ball Image?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Drybonz
    Participant
      @drybonz

This is probably a weird question… but since I broke my VP files back out and set everything up again, I’ve noticed that the ball images look different.  There are white streaks and splotches on the balls (I know… there’s all kinds of STD jokes waiting there) that were never there before.  I tried changing out to a variety of different ball images and it’s the same on all of them… almost like the scratches on the ball are showing up as bright, white streaks and splotches.

I guess my question is… was there some change in the way the ball image is rendered?  Are there settings or anything that I can adjust to make the ball look normal again?  Am I the only one with this problem?

Thanks for the help.

*edit*  Forgot to add… this is on all tables.

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Your haven’t ticked to used the same ball image for all tables maybe ?

Drybonz
        Participant
          @drybonz

No… I can actually use different images, but they all have the white streak effect… they used to look more smooth and metallic, even with the scratches on.

Slydog43
          Participant
            @slydog43

how about a pic

vogliadicane
            Participant
              @vogliadicane

So when you start a table normally? …because what you describe is how the ball looks, when you start a table with F11 (? not sure if it was F11, I mean the mode where you see fps and flipper speed values…)

then the ball looks like surrounded by sparkles.

Drybonz
              Participant
                @drybonz

how about a pic

Ok, here we go… this image shows a frosted, white blotch on the ball.  Sometimes, it’s white streaks, just depends on which ball image is in use.  I don’t know how useful this is because I don’t have a “before” the problem screenshot, but I’ve included the actual ball image so that you can see it looks nothing like the in-game screenshot, and, in fact, the same exact ball image used to look nothing like this in-game (to be clear, it’s the same with any ball image I try).  I’m trying to find out what changed and if it is a setting that will fix it.  I tried playing with environments to see if that was the cause, but it isn’t.  If I had to guess I would think it is some change a few months back to the way AO works, or something like that, but that is just a shot in the dark.

Untitled
                BorgBall

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

dude, you got some fungus growing on your balls, you should get that looked at.   :scratch:

Drybonz
                  Participant
                    @drybonz

dude, you got some fungus growing on your balls, you should get that looked at. :scratch:

I knew it was only a matter of time.

Thalamus
                      @thalamus

That is a weird problem. I can’t remember hearing about it before. It is especially weird when you say that you don’t use the override of the ball image under global settings. I guess you’ve tried to actually use that to see if it manages to override your current settings and it doesn’t ? Could it be a bug that doesn’t change that value back if it was set once or something in that direction I wonder.

bjschneider93
                      Participant
                        @bjschneider93

I have the same issue on twd

Drybonz
                        Participant
                          @drybonz

It seems like it would be some type of a lighting related bug, but I can’t say when it was introduced because I had a period a few months back where I wasn’t playing VP for some time.

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

Testing older versions of vpx is as easy as renaming the *.exe and get only the exe from the archives that is provided here. Going backwards should work – the other way around could lead to issues if not updating everything. Maybe you changed gfx card drivers or should give it a try ?

Fuzzel do upload releases to this site with changelog – so, it is much easier to see what changed than to browse the official beta thread. ( Big thanks Fuzzel and Randr )

http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/vp-10-5-beta/#changelog

Drybonz
                            Participant
                              @drybonz

If nobody else is having this general problem, I just need to isolate the settings that are causing it for me.

Draifet
                              Participant
                                @draifet

Are u using VPX Beta 1.5? If yes, maybe related to an high value on the new SSR feature? I said this cause on some tables there are metal surfaces that look washed out with the default 1 value on this setting, try to lower it at 0.25 or less.

Drybonz
                                Participant
                                  @drybonz

On the off chance that anyone else was curious about this, it turns out to be the global “overwrite ball image” option in the video preferences that was causing it.  Toxie and fuzzel are looking into a possible fix.

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

Happy to hear that you’ve found the culprit – but, didn’t I tell you to check exactly that ?? :scratch:

https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/changes-to-ball-image/#post-83578

Drybonz
                                    Participant
                                      @drybonz

You win a special prize.  It’s…. nothing.

Sorry, I didn’t realize what you were talking about at the time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?