Close Encounters (Gottlieb 1978)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

Yeah I’m digging the chimes :) really makes the games.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

millansoft
      Participant
        @millansoft

Very well done table, congrats!

Just a little question, I’m using Visual Pinball 10.5, all works fine but I can’t see the score, anyone with the same problem?

xenonph
        Participant
          @xenonph
          MemberContributor

If you are a desktop user, make sure you have the “Disable B2S” checkmarked in your options menu.

Click Preferences…Keys….and you will see where to checkmark this.(As seen in Pic.)

Capture-5

Attachments:
          3 users thanked author for this post.
          millansoft
          Participant
            @millansoft

Thanks a lot, I had that option unchecked, works like a charm now :)

GuruChoc
            Participant
              @guruchoc

Just a bug to report, if you light special and extra ball via ABC, I assume targets as well, if you get the special you cannot get the extra ball at all, if you get the extra ball first you can then get the special. Not sure if it is something in the build or something in the original code. Just thought I’d pass it on. Trying to break a million on this game, every extra ball is needed :)

G

LynnInDenver
              Participant
                @lynnindenver

Just a bug to report, if you light special and extra ball via ABC, I assume targets as well, if you get the special you cannot get the extra ball at all, if you get the extra ball first you can then get the special. Not sure if it is something in the build or something in the original code. Just thought I’d pass it on. Trying to break a million on this game, every extra ball is needed :)

Gottlieb System 1 games have a limit of one extra ball per ball. Once you have one, that’s it until you use it. The special can be set up to reward an extra ball as well, which I assume you’ve done, since I believe the other option for the special is adding a credit. Technically, you can play forever if you can earn an extra ball each time you get a new ball. This isn’t actually a bug, it was a software design decision based on the idea that these machines were meant to be put into a location and suck in the quarters, and it was coming at the tail of the EM era, where extra ball earning tended to be limited in much the same way.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                GuruChoc
                Participant
                  @guruchoc

I am not after any extra balls on extra balls, I just want the first one to trigger correctly. After completing ABC and once you hit special (both specs and EB lite on completion of ABC) you cannot earn your first extra ball, specials actually pays nothing from what I can tell. I have had multiple extra balls on this game one after each other, so technically 4 first balls, this functions correctly and the way I expect the game to do, just hitting special denies you the extra ball, I have only started to notice this because I am trying to get 1 million points and the EB is required to do so.

Um, I haven’t played with any games settings, I play every table the way they are distributed, I will look into the settings to see if there is anything funny going on there though just be to be sure it isn’t a game setting that is messing with it.

G

GuruChoc
                  Participant
                    @guruchoc

With “Game Mode” set to extra ball, special will now reward an extra ball, extra ball rewards you with an extra ball, but you can only get one per ball as you mentioned, it’s an either or situation, I assume this is correct game play. With “Game Mode” set to replay, hitting specials rewards nothing at all, but you can no longer get the extra ball from hitting the roto target or the left rollover in the outlane.

G

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

Not sure on this one.  It definitely awards a special when it’s in replay mode (adds a credit), but does not seem to award an extra ball on special when in extra ball mode (replay mode appears to be default).

just saw your last reply, sounds like your’s is working right.  mine does definitely give a game in replay mode.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      GuruChoc
                      Participant
                        @guruchoc

Ok, I’ll look a bit closer to see if indeed it adds a credit, I may of missed that happening (playing on desktop and backglass screen is 3ft away because it is setup for Zwift) You should still be able to get an extra ball after you have got a special, this doesn’t seem to happen, something not quite right there.

G

BorgDog
                        Participant
                          @borgdog
                          MemberContributorvip

Mine does let me get the extra ball after I’ve gotten the special.. once a star is moved around to that spot of course.

Manples
                          Participant
                            @manples

Thanks a lot @BorgDog for this excellent table!

Quick question, I have some real chimes but as they are too loud I usually deactivate them in the DOF.

Now I have the scoring tones (beeps) coming out from both my front speakers and Playfield speakers. The volume on my PF is setup pretty high so I can hear the rolling sound etc. better, but with that table the score beeping is very loud.

Is there a way to deactivate it and keep only the tone that goes out of the main speakers?

BorgDog
                            Participant
                              @borgdog
                              MemberContributorvip

Glad you like it.

I believe if you go into sound manager you can specify Table or Backglass for the individual sounds (10tone, 100tone, 1000tone) by pressing the Position button.  They are currently set on table by default, but I’m not sure on your setup which speakers or how that would go. You can also adjust their individual volumes there. May have to play around with it.  or maybe the resident sound expert @thalamus can provide more insight.

Also if you wanted chime noises instead of the tones you can change the lines in the script from line 28 to 30 to be 10a, 100a, 1000a instead of the tone sounds it will play the chime sounds that are in the file.  Should have made that on option in the script, will try to remember that if I ever update.

Thalamus
                                @thalamus
                                ContributorMemberModerator

LOL. I’m no near an expert :) I agree with BorgDog’ suggestion. For anything that has a too high sound, use the sound manager. If it was the other way around, you might be better off by exporting the sound(s) and crank them up a bit with eg. Audacity before re-importing. I’m a bit confused when you say that the sounds come from both places. I haven’t looked at this table in quite a while. Reading BorgDog’s response. It sounds like they are only imported once and are set to play in the table. Just use the sound manager then until your happy with the volume then. However. It is possible to import sounds and have them play from both locations. If that is the case here. Simply delete the one that is set to be played from the backglass. Curios to know. What kind of setup do you run ? Multiple regular speakers ?

Manples
                                Participant
                                  @manples

Thanks guys, I completely forgot about the sound manager…

So I’ve renamed “10tone”, “100tone” and “1000tone” to something else and I got it working. Now the three tones only come out the main speakers, that are in front of my backbox below the BG monitor.

Actually, my setup is very standard: Stereo speakers in the front of the backbox and stereo speakers in the cabinet (those of the 4k TV I use for the playfield). See pic attached.

Probably something to do with these few Gottlieb System 1 with 3 tones (Charlies Angel, Cleopatra, Close encounters, Count Down, Dragon, Joker Poker, Pinball Pool, sinbad and Solar Ride). I haven’t played the reals machines yet, I don’t know if they had chimes or only these electronic beeps? Until I modify my real chimes to power down the coils and lower the impact, I’ll have to work with soundFX chimes or these electronic tones.

Attachments:
                                  BorgDog
                                  Participant
                                    @borgdog
                                    MemberContributorvip

hmm, hadn’t really thought about that, sounds like the rom was playing sounds and the solenoids firing were playing another via the script…. should probably look into that since I’ve put out 5 or 6 or something system1 pins…..

Joker poker, sinbad and cleopatra came from the factory with chimes.  the others you list with a 3 tone sound board that ran off the same signals that did the chimes, many operators swapped in chimes as they were more reliable, and I’ve done so on my Count-Down and Pinball Pool because I like them better.

BorgDog
                                    Participant
                                      @borgdog
                                      MemberContributorvip

looks like I have some updating to do….

@manples
                                      can you test this attached version for me.  I added an option at the top of the script for chimesortones, if you could turn your real chimes back on then test the table changing the value of the chimesortones as described in the script.  I have a feeling that DOF will still fire if you have it set for tones as I think that is out of my control, but I want to see if it works elsewise.  thanks.

edit: hopefully I did this on the current version, I just grabbed the one on my work computer lol

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus
                                        ContributorMemberModerator

@manples : Test BorgDog’s release like he asks. I wonder, have you tried the other modes other than the regular 2.1 ? The way you describe it you could maybe be able to get a better 3D effect between the TV speakers and the backbox ones. I would at least try it out if you haven’t already.

Manples
                                        Participant
                                          @manples

Ok, I’ve reactivated my real chimes by re-adding S3/S4/S5 on the chimes section in the DOFconfigtool (and replacing the files in my DOF config folder).

By default the script is set at Dim chimesortones: chimesortones=1 so I thought I was gonna hear the tones but no, I heard the chimes (the real ones) and only them. No tones or SoundFX chimes.

So, I’ve reverted my DOF config to NO chimes (deleted S3/S4/S5) and tried your script again: it works perfectly! The tones sound is ok but the chimes sound is way better ;) Tones coming out of the front speakers, chimes from the playfield speakers inside of cabinet… Just like the real stuff. That’s neat ;-)

Anyway, there’s maybe something wrong with the DOF. In Preferences/Keys, Nudge and DOF, even if Chimes = SoundFX is selected, my real chimes are taking over. As of now, the only way I’ve found is to modify the DOF.

My real chimes are real Gottlieb’s, powered in 24VAC and it’s way too loud. I’ve perfectly rebuilt them with new sleeves, polished plungers and all. I own 2 real Gottlieb EM (Volley and Sky Jump) which sound absolutely great but not the ones in my pincab… I think I’ll repower them in 12VDC (+diode) someday. In the meantime, I’m fine with the SoundFX chimes.

Damn your table is really great btw ;-)

BorgDog
                                          Participant
                                            @borgdog
                                            MemberContributorvip

Mine are gottlieb chimes as well and are powered with 24VDC +diode in the cab and sound just like the ones in most of my system 1 pins.  I think the em’s had a different coil in them than the ones in the system 1, I know the ones I put in my pinball pool are different and are definitely louder than the others.  I have coils to swap in (A-17876)  but haven’t done so yet, don’t remember what ones are in there.  I think you can also play around with the pulse time for the chimes in DOF to see if you can quiet them down that way.. I think that’s possible but I’m now sure how that works.

you may want to post up @arngrim about the DOF issue, mine has been down for upgrades for a while so I can’t test, maybe @randr could test with his setup.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 67 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?