Computer advice needed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

Currently I am running a i7-2600 Intel  setup with 6gb of ram corsair 750w psu.  I have a crappy old 1gb video card that I need to upgrade…

Now for the fun part….

I got for free… another corsair 750w psu, an AMD A10-7850K APU with Radeon R7 graphics 3.70 computer with 4 corsair vengeance 8gb sticks of ram, and a new looking AMD Radeon HD7990 6G DDR5 video card.  All for free, someone decided to drop it off at the local recycling center on post to get destroyed.  The computer works fine, psu and ram fine, the video card starts and fans spin but they slow down and then speed back up.  I read somewhere that this might require a 1000w psu?

so question is…  my old setup is running fine, I can sell these on CL and buy a video card or keep this and get it working with a new psu possibly.  any thoughts on what this stuff is worth used, or if this new stuff is better than my old for VP?

7990Angle

oh I also got a sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS card for free too.  nothing big money but I don’t have surround sound and it was free

300px-Soundblaster_Audigy2_ZS

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

It’s an older card but a nice one! Did you have it fully powered with the extra connectors?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

I tried it with the motherboard out of the case so it might not have been seated.  Gonna try it now that it’s mounted.  When I cloned my hd I put it in the computer and fired it up. Motherboard   Worked great.

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

got the computer running with the card in it.  Could the issue be lack of drivers for it

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

Maybe check bios settings but usually if you add a card it will default to the pcie rather then onboard video… check bios settings

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

GlueSniffinEd
              Participant
                @gluesniffined

Holy cow, that card likes the power, 375 watt max TDP!  But I don’t think a 750 watt power supply would be a problem for running it in your system, you should have enough juice.

If you are power conscious or would like to keep the heat down, I would suggest a newer architecture card.  If power and heat are no problem, it should be just about as fast as my GTX 1050 Ti, which I run in desktop mode at 1080p on my TV with all settings maxed out.  With V-Sync off, I can get around 175fps on most tables.

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation
                  MemberContributor

so the drivers were the issue.  I had a really nice 3gb nvidea card that I got for free too and sold it on ebay as is for $60.  someone got a deal.

if I keep the computer I have now then I feel I need to address the cooling.  the way I have it now I have the whole back of the cabinet open and there is 1 puller fan sucking the heat out.  I don’t seem to have a problem that I know of.  I don’t have a fan in the front of the cabinet..

if someone smarter than me with computers says that this AMD A10-7850K 32 gb of ram  is better than my i7-2600 6gb ram then will put this computer in.  The motherboard has a big cooler on the processor… multiple fans in the case, may just add one in the front of the cabinet

58137651368__7ACD4D3A-DBB7-4CEA-999D-DACB49F57E7C

That whole setup was thrown in the trash with all the ram… some people.. :yahoo:

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-vs-AMD-A10-7850K

I could look at these numbers all day but for vpx I have no clue which one is better

Thalamus
                      @thalamus
                      ContributorMemberModerator

Since you are not going to use the integrated gpu, ignore those scores and it is easy to pick the Intel. The faster the single threaded core performance is, the better. CPU and GPU are both important. GPU even more so than CPU. But, there is a break point. You can have the beastliest newest GPU around and still have problems if the CPU is crap ( and vise versa). Since there is thousands of combinations of CPU’ and GPU’ out there. It is really only one way to know, and that is of course to try.

Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

I threw this video card in and I really cant tell much difference between this one and my GTX460, except for more heat.  are there other settings that I am missing here

iii

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

So I guess it does run better especially when the flashers on the table light up mostly.

I pulled it out.  The heat was way too much.  I don’t have a 4K tv so I don’t need the best I just want better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?