Computer upgrade……

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Teahaus
    Participant
      @teahaus

I’m a mac person.  All my work and play computers are apple varieties.  But I do love VPX so back in March when I started this whole virtual pinball journey, I had to dig out a couple of old computers from my pc days and reacquaint myself with dreaded windoze.  It actually wasn’t as bad as I had thought it would be………my last install of windoze was XP.  So the system I first installed VPX onto and am still using in my mini-cab is as follows:

intel i7-2600 CPU

Gigabyte Mobo  (gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h)

16gb Ram (DDR3??)not sure

500gb Adata SSD

32gb mData drive (don’t even know how that got on there)

Geforce 1080ti GPU (started with a 1060, then a 1070, now this)

500w PSU (I just switched to a 750w PSU to give the GPU more juice)

I have the chance to get a pre-built gaming computer with some newer parts.  It consists of

Ryzen 7 1700 CPU

Gigabyte MOBO (GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI AM4)

8 gb Ram

128gb SSD

600w PSU

no GPU.

Friend wants $100 for this system.  It’s housed in some mini-cube thing but I would probably decase.  I’m thinking the CPU alone is worth the upgrade but wouldn’t mind hearing opinions on this.  I think the CPU in my current system is a slight bottleneck for some aspects of VPX.  Still get some micr0-stutter on some tables even with the 1080ti.  What do you all think since I’m definitely a noob in this area?

Zeb
      Participant
        @zebulon

Do it for the cpu upgrade alone and add another 8gb of Ram.

Swap over your other parts and away you go, somewhat future-proofed.

I know so little about everything that I could tell you all there is to know about nothing

Teahaus
        Participant
          @teahaus

Thanks Steve………your opinion makes for an easy decision!  (since you know of what you speak!!)

Teahaus
          Participant
            @teahaus

Well, I proceeded with getting the Ryzen 7 1700 and glad to report that everything, especially the GPU is running much better than with my older i7 2600.  No more micro-stutter on the tables that exhibited this…….didn’t quite realize that my old CPU was having such a challenge running VPX and 4k.

zimbakin
            Participant
              @zimbakin

Hey man, you and me both. Wish there was a Mac VPX. Macs coming out of my ears… I bootcamped one for playing around and it works great.  VPX is more CPU intensive than GPU from my experience.  I have an i5 Windows 10 with lots of ram and a GTX1080Ti in the cab which works great with all current tables in VPX and FX3.

Never take advice from me,
              you'll end up drunk.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?