Crashing to bios when launching vpx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I am doing a favor for a gentlemen trying to get his computer up and running with vpx.  It’s working with 10.6 and a few times when he launches a table, the computer restarts to the bios menu????

1 user thanked author for this post.
      JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

That doesn’t sound good.  Maybe run chkdsk?  That’s never helped me with problems like crashing as that often means hardware issues but supposedly it can locate bad hard drive sectors and repair/isolate.  Good luck.   Hope your kidney crap is over with!

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

It sounds mostly like a hardware issue to be honest. It can be so many things. Unfortunately, these things can be hard to drill down. You kind of need to do different tests. If he isn’t using the machine for other gaming applications, then putting the machine through a graphic benchmark program can maybe help you on the way. If a typical graphic benchmark is slow, but not crashing, then it probably isn’t the gpu – if it does, it might very well be that or bad ram. Even bad harddrives might send you to bios like that. If you expect the harddrive. You can maybe download a live linux distro on a usb stick and browse the internet with a lot of tabs open in a browser. That will not touch your regular harddrive and is a ok test also for ram/memory.

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

unfortunately i am having to remote into his computer to  help him out, he is not near me, and i am no computer whiz.  This may get frustrating

LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

I agree with Thal, that sounds like a serious hardware issue.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
              Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
              Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

What’s wierd is we played with it today and it was fine until we opened Addams family, it crashed.  It did it for the same table the day before.  I need some more proof but it may be isolated to that table.

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

That table brings my system to its knees. Hope that’s it!

Thalamus
                    @thalamus
                    ContributorMemberModerator

If it is isolated to one table. Then I would say, you’re done as he has almost 1000 other games to enjoy. TAF requires a fairly good machine. Should however not crash the computer completely. To make that table work, you might very well have to adjust it yourself. You of course choose the less demanding one and adjusted the texture dimentions under preferences ? I’m still fearing that there is something really bad going on because of the way it crashes. But, from your reports, it sounds more like he should just download the old 1.4.x from Sliderpoint instead and be done. If there are other underlying issues (which I believe there is) then, you won’t be able to fix them remotely anyway.

Tom
                    Participant
                      @armyaviation
                      MemberContributor

Yeah I think your right. Once I get him up and running I’m going to have him clone his hard drive to an extra one he has and start there. Thanks guys

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?