Creating my 2nd VPin in 7 years, whats new?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    SteveB
    Participant
      @steveb

Hi all,

I’m going to build my 2nd VPin in 7 years after my old one has been beaten to death.

I’m wondering primarily what system to run it on. I want something that will play any table I decide to chuck at it but I’m thinking that the PC spec has gone up so much over the last 7 years I don’t need massive PC spec to run tables, will a android tablet be better, or stick to a windows PC, not sure what the general spec required  is nowaday.

So really am asking for opinion, links, ideas to decent pinball running pc spec. Thanks.

Steve B

LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

You’re going to need to stick to a Windows PC if you want to run Visual Pinball or Future Pinball, I’m afraid. And for Visual Pinball, you’re going to need a nice, beefy graphics card.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

I need to upgrade my graphics card too.  I’ve asked this before but what’s a “good” card for a non 4K machine.  Don’t need the best just better.

LynnInDenver
          Participant
            @lynnindenver

I think we can safely assume that it’s anything made in the past 2-3 years that is NOT a “budget” gaming card. Not if you’re driving three monitors. You’re likely going to need to spend at least $150-200, and probably more than that.

As a note, I’d recommend going for a “PostDMD” configuration instead of a traditional DMD or DMD/Topper configuration, basically a full three-screen setup. Jaws and Masters of the Universe are unlikely to remain the only tables doing PostDMD. I’m working on making my own framework that’s set up to support just about all of it.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

bord
              @bord
              MembervipContributorModerator

I need to upgrade my graphics card too.  I’ve asked this before but what’s a “good” card for a non 4K machine.  Don’t need the best just better.

I think the favorite mid-grade card right now is the 1660 or 1660 ti.

Drybonz
              Participant
                @drybonz

Yeah… the 1660 has the be the best deal in computers right now.  Performance of a 1070 at the price of a… well, something from ten years ago.   :yes:

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation
                  MemberContributor

Ok so if that’s good now what was good last year or the year before.  I have a crappy card now and it runs all the tables.  I just want something a little better that I can get used online.  Dropping $200 on a card now is not what I want to do.  If down the road I upgrade my tv then maybe I can do that but not now.

SteveB
                  Participant
                    @steveb

Thanks for the replies, interesting that a high end graphics card is suggested. Has much happened to the graphics over the last 7 years to warrant a high end card?

I can’t remember my old spec, it was high end 7 years back & ran everything fine thus why I was assuming a lower spec machine would run all well now?

Steve B

LynnInDenver
                    Participant
                      @lynnindenver

VPX leverages quite a bit of DirectX now, so it’s more like a modern computer game in graphics requirements. You can get some older VPX tables to run on an integrated graphics chipset, but newer tables have a lot more demands graphically as they take advantage of the DirectX leverage, which will translate into bad lag if the graphics chipset can’t keep up.

Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

I was reading about the 1070 and 1660.  The 1070 appears to be older and more expensive, is that true?

LynnInDenver
                        Participant
                          @lynnindenver

The 1070 is older. To my knowledge they also no longer make the 10xx cards. The 1660 appears to be the current nvidia budget design.

bord
                            @bord
                            MembervipContributorModerator

Tom, if you’re really hard up for resources you could go way back and get something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/b/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-670-Computer-Graphics-Cards/27386/bn_8952246

I had one until last year and it did 1080p and even 4k VPX for me at 60fps if you turn off AA processing and reflections. It was driving a 2 monitor setup.

Personally, I’d hold out and put a 1660 on my Christmas list or find some garage items to put on Craigslist to drum up the cash but everyone’s resource allocation is different.

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

It’s not the money, I can afford it.  It’s that I have many hobbies and if I bought the best of everything for all of them I wouldn’t have many hobbies anymore.  I don’t want to waste money on a 4K type card when I don’t have a 4K tv.  If I could get a nice used card for a 1080 setup for half the price of a new 1660 then it’s a win

Thalamus
                                @thalamus
                                ContributorMemberModerator

Then you should get yourself a 1060. It is possible with that card to run with DSR on the best looking games, which looks good, but, of course still far away from real 4k.

Tom
                                Participant
                                  @armyaviation
                                  MemberContributor

What is dsr and I see some 3gb and 6gb cards.  Are the 3gb any good or stick with 6

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus
                                    ContributorMemberModerator

Well. its the poor mans high-res. Carney introduced it to me a while back. Used it up until I decided to go real 4k. As I said, there is huge difference, but, still it is absolutely a viable alternative to the most expensive and – yes, better alternative. https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

i used 4x on a 750ti and it worked ok – until the authors started to push out per-rendered tables.

SteveB
                                    Participant
                                      @steveb

It’s strange but no matter how good tech get’s some strive for more…

8 years back on my first cab I ran the following –  Win 7: 3.59 AMD A8-5600K APU, 8GB RAM. NVidia Geforce GT560 ti (Playfield), AMD Radeon HD 7560D (Backglass & DMD)

My cab ran beautifully for many years, I’ll admit most of my tables were VP9 or earlier, but most of the classic tables had been released to these specs & worked a charm.

I haven’t as yet sourced my PC, (which, yeah, PC, I’ll stick with that) but I was hoping I could get away with a windows USB stick or something similar low cost. But you guys are gonna force me to buy a high end PC, get it mounted on my cab, all wired up neatly, you devils!!!

Steve B

Tom
                                      Participant
                                        @armyaviation
                                        MemberContributor

I have an older i7 and like I said a crappy 2gb card and honestly I have little complaint.  I just wonder how much better it can get.  I did see significant improvement from my original setup i3 4gb Ram and 32 bit windows, but same graphics card

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation
                                          MemberContributor

And Steve B, if you haven’t seen the new TOTAN, it’s a bit better than the vp9 and older tables!

SteveB
                                          Participant
                                            @steveb

Totan???

What’s that, new pinball software?

Steve B

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?