This topic contains 127 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  edo75 2 months, 1 week ago.

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Author
     Gilrock 
    Participant

Yeah I’ve been wondering why everyone sets the Full Screen option to 270.  I had my cabinet set for landscape for years and after some problems this weekend I was watching a video and it hit me why the heck am I starting up in landscape and standing all cramped on the side of my machine.  I’ve been switching everything to portrait and it’s eliminated a lot of headaches.  Except that I’m having to manually edit every VP table I download.  I would think most cab owners would want to use Windows in portrait mode and stand in front of the machine.  I’m missing why that’s not the standard.

The Loafer 
    Participant

landscape vs portrait:  a lot of that is probably due to legacy thinking.  IE: we’ve been doing it like that for a while, some front ends (I think Hyperpin?) needed it to be set to landscape, etc.

IF I was restarting from scratch I’d consider it but as it is, because people have been using landscape for so long as you said, just about every table release is set like that too, so it’s a really bummer to adjust almost every table you download.  Something to consider…

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

For me I never use cab for much of anything but play testing. If I do use windows or adjust tables on cab I just use the backglass monitor or yes turn my head :) now would I use cab more for table tweaking if I had it setup in portrait? Probably. Either way I wish there was a better solution for switching them from portrait to landscape even though importing POV is simple enough I wish it would just “work” :)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?

Gilrock 
    Participant

Yeah I couldn’t figure out why I had been running that way.  I was afraid I was going to get to one of my front-ends and discover “oh yeah” that’s why.  Right after posting that question I ran into the same issue trying to configure PinUp.  Apparently it defaults to a 270 rotation when all the rotation fields say 0.  I would rather see rotation fields say 270 if that’s what they are doing.  Anyways I’ve asked about that in the PinUp section so I don’t want to derail this table thread which I need to get installed.  So much new stuff to get configured.

HauntFreaks 
    vipContributorMember

who needs to stand at there machine other then play it??….

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

agreed but I think some people do all their tweaking on cab so I can see where that would suck but then just use the backglass I mean it’s a 30” screen like 4 feet or less away come on :)

Gilrock 
    Participant

I do as much configuration as I can using remote desktop from my main PC in another room.  Just seems abnormal to startup in landscape but I guess some guys that run desktop mode created the standard.  Using the backglass to read smaller print doesn’t work well for me plus it seems I’m always having to drag too many windows around.  Just let me live in peace in my portrait world… I see from the other thread I found that I have company with this preference.

Thalamus 
    ContributorMemberModerator

Small tweaks are done by the pin on the backglass monitor. More extensive stuff is delayed and done next time I’m at the old desktop. To work on the pin efficiently I would have to turn the monitor like described but I would also miss out on the comfort of a proper chair and mouse at regular position.

BorgDog 
    Participant
    MemberContributorvip

I do.  I like to do editing on the cab because it is by far the largest and highest resolution monitor I have access to and it let’s me see all those little tidbits of things like all the screws turned the same, or the star rollovers not in the slot in the insert.. little details that now matter, at least to me, because of 4k and can’t un-see them now that I’ve seen them.  The fly in and zoom stuff in vpx is ok, until you get to a certain zoom and it does crazy shit.  The sad part is I actually ‘play’ far more on my laptop in desktop mode than I do on my cab.  I keep looking at 27-30″ 4k monitors to do editing on, but most of my work is done in my recliner or on the couch with the laptop in my lap, no place for a monitor anyway.   :scratch:

I’ve saved enough pov for various types of machines that usually tweaking a new download to my portrait view is a matter of seconds, not minutes.  Oh and I don’t use a front end any longer either, it’s just me that uses the cab.

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

@borgdog your tables are some of my favorites so whatever your doing keep doing it the same way :good:

We can always set your builds up rotated for our setups NO PROBLEM ;)

HauntFreaks 
    vipContributorMember

I do as much configuration as I can using remote desktop from my main PC in another room. Just seems abnormal to startup in landscape but I guess some guys that run desktop mode created the standard. Using the backglass to read smaller print doesn’t work well for me plus it seems I’m always having to drag too many windows around. Just let me live in peace in my portrait world… I see from the other thread I found that I have company with this preference.

yes I believe your member #6 in the portrait gang…LOL
    temp3a

Attachments:
     Gilrock 
    Participant

Meh if you read all the threads I already switched back to landscape…lol.

Gilrock 
    Participant

Darn it now Pinball FX3 is putting it’s playfield on my backglass and there are only settings to move the DMD and Backglass I see no setting to tell it which monitor to put the playfield on.

CarnyPriest 
    Participant

Have to make your playfield the primary display again prior to starting FX3.

dreamtrap 
    Participant

not getting any rom sounds the 7, 8 9 and 0 keys don’t appear to change the volume either.

Thalamus 

Win10 ?

knightrider 
    Participant

anyone know why i hear a thump sound instead of a clacking sound for the flippers. i haven’t gotten the mechanical sounds amp knobs finalized yet but it doesn’t matter what i had adjusted to. same for Comet.

Thalamus 

It is not given that the sound from the flippers on one table is the same as the other. You reaslly should open the sound manager and scroll until you find the flipper sounds, press play, and if they still sound like a “thump” instead of a “clank”, then you have to replace that sample from another table to get them to what you expect. Unsure what flipper sounds is set ? Look in the script – often you find it if you search for rightflipper.

knightrider 
    Participant

for the inital set up. I slid my cabinet out just enough away from the wall so i can stand along side it since windows is facing the wall on the playfield

i put the keyboard and mouse on a tall chair…awkward a bit but …i sit all day for work..so standing isn’t such a bad change.

when less set up is required later i’ll probably just use the backglass and try and sit in front of it.

..thanks thalamus i haven[‘t gone in the script and soundmanager yet…i have so much more to do first…i’ll put it on the list

Paul installed my flipper fidelity set up  as well as everything else it is really nice and loud, it has a front and rear subwoofer and front and rear speakers split between onboard sound and a soundblaster card but can’t hear it from the 2nd floor so the wife and kids can sleep well.

knightrider 
    Participant

thalamus, sound mgr is fine, script has that file, does it have something to do with solenoids enabled in the script or fast flips script?

i don’t have actual solenoids.

audio pan maybe?

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account