Daily video WIP for Seawitch build [COMPLETE]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    bord
      @bord
      MembervipContributorModerator

Let’s try this: Every weekday I’ll build one portion of Seawitch in Blender and post it on YouTube. I’ll keep it going for as long as I can stand talking out loud and trying to work or until it is clear there isn’t any value in sharing something so tedious. This isn’t a tutorial, though I do try to remember to turn keystrokes on. I’ll publish these on Youtube so if you subscribe you should get notifications as they are shared each morning.

Pt1: playfield

bord
        @bord

Pt2: more playfield detailing

2 users thanked author for this post.
        bord
          @bord

Pt3 Let’s add a shooter lane.

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

This is great. Even though it is not a tutorial, I find it interesting to see. Was sub’ed already – now, notifications turned on ! :good:

rgarriott
            Participant
              @rgarriott

Very interesting to see you doin your thing. Ill be following along. Keep up the great work.

bord
                @bord

Pt4 Plywood!

The Loafer
                Participant
                  @theloafer

That’s kind of high on the attention to detail!  Well done Bord, checking all of these out.  It’s reads like a foreign language to me but still very cool and of course informative.  It also gives all of us some context into just how much work an author has to put into a VPX table.  Thanks!

bord
                    @bord

That’s kind of high on the attention to detail!

It’s true. Hopefully as we progress it’ll be clear that it isn’t all excess or OCD. The meshes to cut out inserts are made once but used again for plywood holes and to build the actual inserts, all of which saves having to touch them up in Photoshop which can take just as much time. It also does some future-proofing for future virtual pinball application when some of this detail may be more necessary to good on-the-fly render results.

Lots of ways to skin the VP cat. Currently this is mine, although it is always evolving.

bord
                      @bord

Short one today: just put a basic cabinet around the playfield. I’ll detail the cabinet when we’re closer to the end of the project.

TerryRed
                        @terryred
                        MemberContributorModerator

This is fantastic!

My modeling and animations skills date back to the mid to late 90’s with Lightwave 3D (with non shaded wireframes to work with)  and my good old Amiga 1200…

…so you are totally speaking my language here…but I’m am hopelessly outdated :)

Given the bright future of VPE, all this attention to detail will pay off in the future for sure.

Thank you for sharing this!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        bord
                          @bord

@terryred, that’s cool to know. I wish I had started learning this stuff years ago. Definitely started at a life stage where learning new things takes longer than it used to.

I bet you could be up to speed in no time.

JR
                          Participant
                            @jfr1

Very much enjoying/appreciating this.  Thanks bord!

TerryRed
                              @terryred

Yah, it’s been a long time…. but Lightwave, Blender and today’s tools are amazing in comparison to back then. I had 10MB of ram  in 1993 which was HUGE back then!

The only remnants of anything I did back then are these pictures…. long before the days of HDTV. Well, I actually have my original Lightwave models too. :)

Yes… I was a big Babylon 5 fan.

TVorlon2

NGateBlueSF

TDrazi1

bord
                                @bord

@terryred – very cool. I bet render time for those really added up.

bord
                                  @bord

Pt6 Inserts:

Lots of time lapse today. Trying not to exceed 10 minutes on these if possible so I’ll burn through the repetitive stuff.

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus
                                    ContributorMemberModerator

After you just made the first light and you said “too bright”. I could not for the rest of the video stop think about a unnamed person in our community. Very cool stuff @bord. I wonder, once you’ve made those lights. Would they not be re-usable for other tables ?

Please keep this up. If there is too much keeping up with the promise of “Daily”, don’t feel bad about it – just make sure you record and post it all :rose:

bord
                                      @bord

Thanks, @thalamus. Definitely all parts of this can be used/reused elsewhere. I’m doing as much as possible from scratch for this just as an example. Normally I’d be bringing in materials, lights, rails, inserts, posts to save time. Here I’m just trying to show the procedure of a scratch build, although I’ll probably cheat and bring in some pre-made screws. I think by the end of the week I’ll be ready to model a Stern faceted post.

The nice thing is I’m doing this all to scale (not VP scale) so I can use some reference elements I have sitting around the house for accuracy without having to convert everything to VP units. Saves time and gives a better sense of accuracy.

TerryRed
                                        @terryred

Yah, it’s been a long time…. but Lightwave, Blender and today’s tools are amazing in comparison to back then. I had 10MB of ram in 1993 which was HUGE back then!

The only remnants of anything I did back then are these pictures…. long before the days of HDTV. Well, I actually have my original Lightwave models too. :)

Yes… I was a big Babylon 5 fan.

TVorlon2

NGateBlueSF

TDrazi1

Yah…the render times weren’t fast on a Motorolla 68030 CPU (with FPU processor). So I would “imagine” how things would look like, then render only a small portion of the screen to see how parts would look. Then make changes. Nothing at all like today.

Doing a single still is one thing…doing longer animations can take a long while…especially when you only have bounding boxes to see for animation previews. We didn’t have the ability to play videos from files in real-time…so it all had to be played directly from RAM. This video was uploaded to Youtube long ago…but the quality is horrible compared to the original.

Actually… I forgot… I did do something years later (in 2005)…still in Lightwave, but on my PC at the time. This was a silly thing I did with with my family many years ago. LOTS of Lightwave animation and render times. Not exactly what I would consider hi quality (it wasn’t the intent), but it was more me playing around to see what I could come up with at the time…. and with some creative methods I’ll say.

Not trying to derail your topic… this just flashed me back to stuff I hadn’t thought about in a long time.

Love what you are doing here.

bord
                                          @bord

LOL. @terryred, I won’t lie: I watched the whole thing. Quite the feat. I bet your kids loved being a part of it. You are one ambitious dude.

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

LOL. @terryred, I won’t lie: I watched the whole thing. Quite the feat. I bet your kids loved being a part of it. You are one ambitious dude.

LOL…well when they were young they thought it was cool… but they are 17 and 20 now and would hate it if I showed it to anyone :)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 171 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?