Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Thalamus
    @thalamus
    ContributorMemberModerator

Even though I would not be no way near to do what you are Bord, there is golden nuggets all the time being given in these videos explaining things that will apply to any vp table. The way you explained how the layers works pr. example, might be obvious to you, but, was all new to me. Appreciate these videos very much, and I fully agree with Roberts comment, except the choice of beverage ;)

bord
    @bord
    MembervipContributorModerator

Thanks, @thalamus. My objectives for this project keep shifting. At first I was hoping it would generate a bunch of discussion over techniques, maybe help identify a topic or two that would standout for a more in-depth tutorial. Now I’m just hoping someone takes a single idea from any of these and makes their project a little better or easier or both. What I should do is show how to do some of this in Blender and bring it into VP without having to do all the camera mapping and texturing. Realistically you could make a lot of standard VP elements for a game fairly simply without all the rendering. I’m just taking everything here to the nth degree to improve some of my own skills.

Lobotomy
    Participant
    @lobotomy

Ok @bord, as you might have seen I’ve been stalking you on youtube, and love the “series”. Infact so much that I’ve taken the last three days to move everything from my latest VPX project to Blender, and… right now I don’t want to ever work in a 2d environment like vpx again :P.
    Most of the 30+ hours in Blender so far has been wasted watching those little tiles get rendered in high res images with a 500 pass sampling.
    Before your series began I only used blender to position some 3d models, but like I mentioned I’ve taken the full step into 3d.
    So now to the topic, You mentioned before that if anyone had questions you would try to help out.
    First of all, I don’t want to hinder your flow by going back to fill some gaps for me, but perhaps when you are “done”, could you possibly go over the texture nodes you have real quick? Like for plastics I use (overuse?) subsurface just to get away from the “crispyness”, love to see your take. Metals would be nice to see too, heck feels like i want to see all of them, ooh and the world properties too :D.
    Got a million questions about if I should use rendered inserts or just go with the normal playfield lit ones too.
    Been trying to make wire guides with curves and array modifier with ok results, would love to see how others tackle the wire guides too, if it’s FP ramps that is the way to go?
    I’ll save some questions for a rainy day… thanks for all the stuff so far!

bord
    @bord

Hey @lobotomy, I couldn’t be happier to hear that this is helping push your skills. Next time I fire up OBS I’ll try to talk for a couple minutes about nodes and materials. I don’t know much on the topic but I’ll do my best.

I go back and forth on rendered inserts, honestly. Some good work in Photoshop can give nice results without rendering, but transmitting VP light through an insert does double duty in creating ball reflection. I saved it for the very end of the Seawitch project because I have the least amount of confidence that rendering the inserts is the best way to tackle it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    bord
    @bord

pt 33 UV mapping in bulk

Video ends with an untruth: we will not render out the playfield next.

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

Ha!  Was just about to do some catching up with these tonight but danged if an OTA TV station isn’t running the 1st two Thin Man movies back to back!  I’m serious.

Really do appreciate the enormous amount of time you’re spending on sharing all this bord.  Fascinating to see the mind boggling work that goes into your tables.          holy crap – – Jimmy Stewart was in the 2nd Thin Man?

Thanks again bord!!

bord
    @bord

Ha! Was just about to do some catching up with these tonight but danged if an OTA TV station isn’t running the 1st two Thin Man movies back to back! I’m serious.

holy crap – – Jimmy Stewart was in the 2nd Thin Man?

Jimmy Stewart. Crazy, right? Gotta stop everything when a Thin Man film is on! Just finished reading Hammett’s original script treatments for the first two sequels this morning. No kidding!

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

Pretty amazing how well these hold up as they are from the ’30’s.  Testament to Hammet’s writing and Powell and Loy’s chemistry.  Hammet wrote script treatments?  Did Hackett and Goodrich know? ;)

bord
    @bord

Pretty amazing how well these hold up as they are from the ’30’s. Testament to Hammet’s writing and Powell and Loy’s chemistry. Hammet wrote script treatments? Did Hackett and Goodrich know? ;)

Hammet wrote the screenplays for Thin Man II & III and H&G reworked the final drafts for the studio. The scripts are surprisingly faithful to Hammet’s version but with some rough edges sanded off and a little more romantic interplay. Apparently after the third one no one wanted to make anymore – not Hackett and Goodrich, not Hammet, not Powell and Loy. In fact, H&G added the pregnancy at the end of the third film in an attempt to kill off the series.

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

Fun stuff!  They did have the baby sock at the end of 2 – -“I thought you were a detective”  Alright…Thal’s rolling his eyes.  Get back to working on Centau….I mean Sea Witch!

bord
    @bord

@lobotomy, I rambled through a few material node examples. Not very focused, I’m afraid. Hope some of this helps:

2 users thanked author for this post.
    bord
    @bord

pt 34 rendering textures pt 2

I talk out loud trying to figure out the plunger gate, animate some rubbers and give a few different examples of how to get things ready to render and export. Youtube picked a nice thumbnail for this one – had to highlight the part where I’m being crabby.

6 installments to go.

Scottacus
    Participant
    @scottacus
    MembervipContributor

At first I was hoping it would generate a bunch of discussion over techniques, maybe help identify a topic or two that would standout for a more in-depth tutorial. Now I’m just hoping someone takes a single idea from any of these and makes their project a little better or easier or both.

There are so many aspects of  Blender that you use in building these tables that it is overwhelming but one aspect that I think is incredibly important to advancing VP is the physics.  The ability to set different material properties for different segments of a rubber is critical in getting a VP table to play as close to the real thing as possible.  When this is coupled with nFozzy’s and Roth’s dampening script you can really dial a table in.

I’ve been busy with other projects and authoring tables that I rarely play VP tables.  Yesterday I tried playing some of my favorite tables from the past and I hate to admit it but they were kind of painful to play.  The physics were just so off, especially the rubber posts. I know how much time and energy it takes to bring these tables to VP but when a ball bounces off of a post and screams back to the center drain just as fast or faster than it went up the table, that is just hard to watch.  In the past I guess I just didn’t notice because I didn’t own any real pins and I don’t play real tables on a regular basis.

I would love to have some quick way to pull off the rubbers from a table, set segments of them as posts and perhaps even subdivide the central rubber section, bring these back into VP with material settings and tack on nFozzy’s scripting and timers.  Not that I’m really interested in modding others tables but I’d really like to have them all play well as well as the ones Bord produces if that makes any sense?

bord
    @bord

I would love to have some quick way to pull off the rubbers from a table, set segments of them as posts and perhaps even subdivide the central rubber section, bring these back into VP with material settings and tack on nFozzy’s scripting and timers. Not that I’m really interested in modding others tables but I’d really like to have them all play well as well as the ones Bord produces if that makes any sense?

Thanks, Scott. You’re right about the impact this approach to physics has on gameplay. I play very little visual pinball as well but when I do I find myself with very little patience for games without the rubber dampening script. I estimate that rebuilding the rubbers and getting the script in place for a pre-existing game would take an hour or two for EMs or early SS games once you’ve done it a few times. Worth it for a very favorite game, at least. My goal right now is to go through any of my past projects that I still enjoy, add the dampened rubbers and then retire that project until the next iteration of VP arrives.

Lobotomy
    Participant
    @lobotomy

@bord Thank You SO much for the… “rambling” :D, appreciate it a lot!
    I’m in the middle of a rough schedule at work, with practically no spare time. Well that depends on if I want to sleep or not.. hmm…
    Our white plastic mat was about identical with some tweaks here and there, but the subsurface color tip made a huuuge improvement on my plastics with the light shining thru in a better way.
    Thanks again for Your time!

Scottacus
    Participant
    @scottacus
    MembervipContributor

The more I think about it, could the ability to make segmented “walls” that define post and non-post areas and conform to the shape of a rubber be native to VP?  Could VP be able to automatically calculate increases in elasticity based upon distance from a post for a rubber?   If these features were added to the base program then Bord’s clever design and nFozzy and Roth’s dampening systems would be native to every table.

I guess the biggest thing that Bord’s videos have shown me is how much work goes into work-arounds for graphics, physics, lighting and materials that could be native to VP in the first place.  I’m not anywhere near to being smart enough to be a dev for the system but I think that Bord is pointing the way for VP to take the next Big Step forward!

bord
    @bord

@bord Thank You SO much for the… “rambling” :D, appreciate it a lot!

@lobotomy
    , anytime. Seriously. Good luck with work and your project.

@scottacus
    , I love this. I almost suggested the same thing last night when I posted. It would be great to see this be a native part of VP. I’m curious how slingshots are done currently. It seems to me that their force is tapered as you move to the edges of the slingshot. If I’m correct then wouldn’t this be a similar application for rubber physics? Unfortunately 10.7 seems to be an editor-focused update so I’m not going to hold my breath.

bord
    @bord

@scottacus: Wanted to test my 1-2 hour guesstimate for a physics update. Also showed a quick way to get visible rubbers to line up with with new physical rubbers.

Josh
    Participant
    @osujd

So I know modding is a hot topic these days but even the work you put in to improve physics is a huge step in right direction.  Could this be released not as a mod but an improvement that way the author isnt upset that his work wasn’t “modded enough” for a release, but allowing people to do minor revisions or am I all wet on this?

Thalamus
    @thalamus
    ContributorMemberModerator

Meshes for this – yes please @bord.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 171 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW