DirectX No Longer Available, VPX Install Issue

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    harriswilson
    Participant
      @harriswilson

Hey everyone, I am brand new here (literally, just learned about all of this a few days ago)! Today I tried installing the latest VPX but hit a bit of a snag. When trying to install DirectX (not sure which version, 12 is already on my system) I was given an error message. When trying to load VPX I get the error message saying I don’t have the correct DirectX files. I looked on the Microsoft downloads page for more versions but found every version removed except for older ones which cannot run on my system (Windows 10). Very frustrating! As everyone is pointing to these downloads which do not exist anymore I’m not sure where to go to get VPX up and running. Anyone else having this issue or any work arounds? Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Is the one in all installer now failing ?

harriswilson
        Participant
          @harriswilson

Just the DirectX portion. During that it gave me a “failed to install, please try again later.” Everything else was able to install fine.

Thalamus
            @thalamus

Hmm … https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429 – not tried that one – looks to be the one though.

harriswilson
            Participant
              @harriswilson

Yeah, this is the only one I found too. When I try to install it, it says that it is only compatible with Windows 98 to XP.

Thalamus
                @thalamus

Hmm. Maybe we should make @toxie aware of this. Thanks for reporting it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Thalamus.
                32assassin
                Participant
                  @32assassin

Windows 10 might have a higher version of Directx installed  and is preventing   version 9 to be installed.

you can’t install an older version over a newer version.

Download the latest version install it and then  uninstall it.

you should be able to install version 9 if their is no DirectX installed in Windows 10

when you have DirectX9 installed; you can install version 11 or whatever version is the latest for FX3.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

2 users thanked author for this post.
                  harriswilson
                  Participant
                    @harriswilson

Thank you thalamus and 32assassin for posting. I’ve made a little progress. 32assassin, I tried looking for a way to install or uninstall DirectX 12 to install version 9 but couldn’t find a way to do so. Here’s the story so far: it seems to be that DX12 is imbedded in Windows 10 (cannot be removed) while older versions such as DX9 cannot be installed on the system. Whether that’s because they both can’t be run on the same machine or because DX9 simply doesn’t work on Windows 10 its the same result: DX9 can’t run on Windows 10. The work around for this appears to be using “DirectX End-User Runtime,” which, according to the Microsoft download page, doesn’t exist anymore. I tried using the Wayback Machine to retrieve the DX End-User Runtime that is not there anymore. I downloaded it! However, running it is giving me the same error that I got when I initially ran the All in One VPX installer. So now I’m back to square one :/ Anyone have any ideas why DX won’t install properly for me?

outhere
                      @outhere
                      MemberContributorvipModerator

Thank you thalamus and 32assassin for posting. I’ve made a little progress. 32assassin, I tried looking for a way to install or uninstall DirectX 12 to install version 9 but couldn’t find a way to do so. Here’s the story so far: it seems to be that DX12 is imbedded in Windows 10 (cannot be removed) while older versions such as DX9 cannot be installed on the system. Whether that’s because they both can’t be run on the same machine or because DX9 simply doesn’t work on Windows 10 its the same result: DX9 can’t run on Windows 10. The work around for this appears to be using “DirectX End-User Runtime,” which, according to the Microsoft download page, doesn’t exist anymore. I tried using the Wayback Machine to retrieve the DX End-User Runtime that is not there anymore. I downloaded it! However, running it is giving me the same error that I got when I initially ran the All in One VPX installer. So now I’m back to square one :/ Anyone have any ideas why DX won’t install properly for me?

Try this – https://www.dropbox.com/s/imdho3o0dntrf5z/Jun2010-DXSETUP.zip?dl=0

2 users thanked author for this post.
                      Thalamus
                        @thalamus

Have a strong feeling that @outhere just provided the solution.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        harriswilson
                        Participant
                          @harriswilson

Thank you outhere for that suggestion. That was one of the downloads I had tried previously. It didn’t contain the .dll files that were needed to make VPX run. I did, however, eventually get the specific one I needed from another site. I didn’t really want to do this to minimize the number of places I was downloading things from but the download from 2019 Microsoft’s download page couldn’t successfully do it. Long story short I downloaded the right one and it’s working now. Not the greatest option but its a quick fix. Thank you everyone who provided suggestions for me!

toxie
                          Participant
                            @toxie
                            VP DEVMember

Interesting..  :/

Will look into making the all-in-one-installer more robust..

3 users thanked author for this post.
                            toxie
                            Participant
                              @toxie
                              VP DEVMember

And just to be sure: The dll that was complained about being missing was d3dx9_43.dll @harriswilson ?

Shaggysrsg
                              Participant
                                @shaggysrsg

@toxie that’s the error I get after running the installer with DirectX failing so probably yes

harriswilson
                                Participant
                                  @harriswilson

@toxie yes, that’s the one.

outhere
                                    @outhere
                                    MemberContributorvipModerator

Thank you outhere for that suggestion. That was one of the downloads I had tried previously. It didn’t contain the .dll files that were needed to make VPX run. I did, however, eventually get the specific one I needed from another site. I didn’t really want to do this to minimize the number of places I was downloading things from but the download from 2019 Microsoft’s download page couldn’t successfully do it. Long story short I downloaded the right one and it’s working now. Not the greatest option but its a quick fix. Thank you everyone who provided suggestions for me!

That’s odd that dll file (d3dx9_43.dll)  is in there but I don’t know how install programs work

mazzaneo
                                    Participant
                                      @mazzaneo

Which directx did you end up downloading for it to work and where did you get it from?

I just reinstalled my pc after upgrading and am facing the same problem.

PEandS1Ws
                                      Participant
                                        @peands1ws
                                        koinsatx
                                        Participant
                                          @koinsatx

Hi everyone, just my luck to venture into this hobby and have the same issue.  Glad you reported this as I was beginning to think I did something wrong.

KO

wytze
                                          Participant
                                            @romdigger

Today, Microsoft directx was downloading Again…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?