Disabling b2s backglass

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Scooby
    Participant
      @scooby

Hey guys,

I have been tweaking my settings and am now finally running VPX in Fullscreen mode instead of Windowed mode.  When setting vpx to Fullscreen and setting Vsync and Max pre-rendered Frames both to 1, I now have almost all vpx tables running smoothly with no ball stutter on my system.

However with a couple of tables, I’m still getting some ball stutter here and there.  I have changed settings in the Video options as well as the table options.  I have turned off all “extra” options via table scripts and all table/ball reflections, but the stutter remains on just a small number of tables.

I read in a post somewhere that I can disable the b2s backglass and just run a static backglass for this type of issue.  Unfortunately, the changes I’ve made, don’t disable the backglass and the b2s backglass runs each time I open tables.  In trying to disable b2s backglasses, I changed the b2s section in the controller.txt file in the VP/users folder as well as the controller.vbs file.  These changes had no affect and the backglass still load.

Metallica Premium by Sliderpoint and Freneticamnesic, is one of the tables I really want to get working smoothly and It’s almost there for me.  However when multi-ball starts, I still am getting ball stutter.  There are a couple other tables I may need different settings for, but I simply love this table and am trying everything I know to get it running smoothly on my system.

Is there a way to turn off a b2s backglass for specific tables, without turning it off for all the other tables?

Thanks in advance.

jbg4208
      Participant
        @jbg4208

I believe you would need to delete the db2s file and also remove the check mark for hide backglass in pinballx game list manager.

Scooby
        Participant
          @scooby

Thanks Josh.  I was finally able to get back to the cab to test some more and here is what I found.  If I delete the db2s file and hide backglass in PBX, I get the attached error message before the table loads.  If VPX is in Exclusive fullscreen mode, I then can’t do anything except force quite VPX.  If VPX is running in Windowed mode when I get this b2s error message, I can click OK and then play the table.
          This doesn’t work, as I now run my cab in Exclusive Fullscreen, and besides, I’d rather not need to pull out the keyboard when playing (or other people are playing) a game.

I also tried disabling b2s from the controller.txt file in the VP/users folder and also tried disabling it from the controller.vbs file.  Neither seemed to disable the b2s, but even if it had, this would have disabled b2s for all tables, not just the couple of tables I’m trying to get running smoothly on my system.

I almost upgraded my video card from AMD to Nvidia, but then did some spec comparisons and found that my current AMD card is equivalent to an Nvidia GTX970.  This should be enough power to run all VPX tables stutter-free…at least that is what I have read on the forums.

Any other suggestions on what I might try to get this and a couple other tables running smoothly on my system?

Thanks as always for your help!  You guys are great!

Metallica-b2s-backglass-error

xenonph
          Participant
            @xenonph
            MemberContributor

Why not try changing the controller in the table script from B2S.Server to VPinMAME.Controller, then the table won’t call for backglass, and you could do this for a per table fix, and it wont effect any other tables.

jbg4208
            Participant
              @jbg4208

?  yep!

Scooby
              Participant
                @scooby

Thanks guys, but I looked and this seems to be an older way that authors scripted VP tables.  I compared the script from Metallica Premium VPX and Metallica Pro VP pm5 tables and here is what I can see.

At the top of the script from Metallica Premium VPX (there doesn’t seem to be a way to simply change B2S.Server to VPinMAME.Controller, like in VP9 tables)

Option Explicit
                Randomize

Const cGameName = “mtl_170h”
                Const UseSolenoids = 1
                Const UseLamps = 0
                Const UseSync = 1
                Const HandleMech = 0
                Const SSolenoidOn = “Solenoid”
                Const SSolenoidOff = “”
                Const SCoin = “CoinIn”
                Const UseVPMModSol = 1
                Dim xx
                Dim Bump1, Bump2, Bump3, Mech3bank,bsTrough,bsLHole, bsRHole,dtl,cbRight,turntable,cbCaptive,cbCaptive2
                Dim PlungerIM,LMag,RMag, HMag, HMag2
                Dim cBall
                Dim mCaptive
                Dim VarHidden, UseVPMDMD
                Dim CrossMech
                Dim DayNight
                Dim SideWallGI
                Dim SparkyMod
                Dim CemMod

‘mods/OPTIONS
                Dim SnakeSkin, CoffinMod
                CoffinMod = 0 ‘ 0 = off, 2 = skulls
                SnakeSkin = 0 ‘ 0 = odd, 1 = on
                SideWallGI = 0 ‘ 0 = off, 1 = On
                SparkyMod = 0 ‘ 0 = original, 1 = Modded Paint scheme
                CemMod = 0 ‘ 0 = No cemetery arch, 1 = cemetery arch

If table.ShowDT = true then
                ‘ UseVPMDMD = true
                VarHidden = 0
                lockdown.visible = true
                else
                ‘ UseVPMDMD = False
                VarHidden = 0
                lockdown.visible = false
                end if

On Error Resume Next
                ExecuteGlobal GetTextFile(“controller.vbs”)
                If Err Then MsgBox “Can’t open controller.vbs”
                On Error Goto 0

LoadVPM “01560000”, “sam.VBS”, 3.10
                Set cBall = ckicker.createball
                ckicker.Kick 0, 0

Sub table_Init

UpPost.Isdropped=true
                With Controller
                .GameName = cGameName
                If Err Then MsgBox “Can’t start Game ” & cGameName & vbNewLine & Err.Description:Exit Sub
                .SplashInfoLine = “Metallica (Stern 2013)”
                .HandleKeyboard = 0
                .ShowTitle = 0
                .ShowDMDOnly = 1
                .ShowFrame = 0
                .HandleMechanics = 1
                .Hidden = VarHidden
                On Error Resume Next
                .Run GetPlayerHWnd
                If Err Then MsgBox Err.Description
                End With

At the top of the script from the Metallica Pro VP pm5 table (I see the way to change B2S.Server to VPinMAME.Controller)

Sub LoadVPM(VPMver, VBSfile, VBSver)
                On Error Resume Next
                If ScriptEngineMajorVersion < 5 Then MsgBox “VB Script Engine 5.0 or higher required”
                ExecuteGlobal GetTextFile(VBSfile)
                If Err Then MsgBox “Unable to open ” & VBSfile & “. Ensure that it is in the same folder as this table. ” & vbNewLine & Err.Description
                ‘Set Controller = CreateObject(“B2S.Server”)
                Set Controller = CreateObject(“B2S.server”)
                If Err Then MsgBox “Can’t Load VPinMAME.” & vbNewLine & Err.Description
                If VPMver > “” Then If Controller.Version < VPMver Or Err Then MsgBox “VPinMAME ver ” & VPMver & ” required.”
                If VPinMAMEDriverVer < VBSver Or Err Then MsgBox VBSFile & ” ver ” & VBSver & ” or higher required.”
                On Error Goto 0
                End Sub

Is there a way to change the VPX script to allow this B2S.Server to VPinMAME.Controller change?  When I tried altering the VPX script, I got different errors.

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Everything these days uses controller.vbs so it should just work depending on your controller.txt in user folder is setup

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                  for IOS and Android

Sliderpoint
                  Participant
                    @sliderpoint
                    MemberContributor

Well, that table doesn’t list the controller in it.  It just calls the controller.vbs file to load the setting.

I don’t know how you would disable it for 1 table without changing the script to load a controller instead of calling the .vbs.

The setting for using/not using a backglass is in the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Visual Pinball\Controller

-Mike

Daryl
                    Participant
                      @allknowing2012

This was replied to way back … the idea was to make a copy of controller.vbs call it controller_nob2s.vbs. Edit the file to disable b2s then change the table to pull in this new vbs file.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=34096&p=336125

xenonph
                      Participant
                        @xenonph
                        MemberContributor

Just add this line to script..

Set Controller = CreateObject(“VPinMAME.Controller”)

So here is what it would look like starting at script LINE 56

Sub table_Init
                        UpPost.Isdropped=true
                        With Controller
                        .GameName = cGameName
                        If Err Then MsgBox “Can’t start Game ” & cGameName & vbNewLine & Err.Description:Exit Sub
                        .SplashInfoLine = “Metallica (Stern 2013)”
                        .HandleKeyboard = 0
                        .ShowTitle = 0
                        .ShowDMDOnly = 1
                        .ShowFrame = 0
                        .HandleMechanics = 1
                        .Hidden = VarHidden
                        On Error Resume Next
                        .Run GetPlayerHWnd
                        If Err Then MsgBox Err.Description
                        End With

Scooby
                        Participant
                          @scooby

Thanks guys.  I’ll read up on making a copy of the controller.vbs file for the future as I like learning new ways of doing things.

For now, xenonph’s method above worked and the backglass no longer opens with this table.  Thanks xenonph!

Unfortunately, I still have ball stutter with this table.  Well, this at least eliminates the idea that the b2s backglass is the culprit of my continued ball stutter with this table.

I’ll move my further questions to the table support thread, as I’m mostly focussing on that table for now.

Thanks again guys, and I hope to hear from you in that thread!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          SPAMP
                          Participant
                            @spamp

Scooby, did you ever resolve the issue? I have a stutter issue that just crept up within the last week on all tables and got progressively worse. I am troubleshooting as we speak. So many threads… so little time…. all time I wish I was spending flipping instead of flipping out haha.

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

You just have to accept. This hobby does takes time. Just playing – I was there once. Now I enjoy just as much seeing what these guys come up with and playing with the software to make it do what I want it to. I though about buying myself a real pin about 2 years back. Then decided on the virtual route. So much has happened just in these 2 years that I’m super happy with my choice. One thing though. I was scared of the maintenance of a real pin. Now I start to wonder. Maybe it is even more with a virtual one ;-)

SPAMP
                              Participant
                                @spamp

will this work to disable the Getaway table?

code from above in post

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus
                                  ContributorMemberModerator

Try stuff .. and you know ;)

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

will this work to disable the Getaway table? Set Controller = CreateObject(“VPinMAME.Controller”) code from above in post

Yes

********************************************************
                                    Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                    for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Scooby
                                    Participant
                                      @scooby

Spamp,

I was never able to get the awesome looking Metallica VPX table (any version) to play smoothly on my cab. It is one of maybe 3 tables I was never able to play stutter-free. The table plays mostly smooth, but the right ramp causes stutter every time. Then I get occasional stutter during multiball.  I tried every trick and suggestion I could find, including disabling just about everything and lowering graphic details all the way. It’s too bad, as this is such a fun table. I just can’t play it on my rig. :scratch:

nFozzy
                                      Participant
                                        @nfozzy

Is the stutter reported in the max script / physics latency in the f11 debug info? Or is it stuttering when lights flash on?

If it’s either of the former it could be bad collision geometry, latter could be low memory. Might be an easy fix.

Queniart
                                        Participant
                                          @queniart62

Bonjour sur Metallica c le même Probleme tout essayer jusqu’à changer ma carte graphique 1050ti

rothbauerw
                                            @rothbauerw
                                            ModeratorContributorMembervip

I was scared of the maintenance of a real pin. Now I start to wonder. Maybe it is even more with a virtual one ;-)

I do way more maintenance on my virtual pin than I ever did on my real pin.  But it’s not a fair comparison.  I’m always adding and tweaking to my virtual pin.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?