Dixieland WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    LTA
    Participant
      @luvthatapex

I just watched a video of the rules which was really well done. I have an OK playfield (not great) and OK plastics (not great) and started a WIP. I will need a directb2s backglass (if someone feels like helping). Really excited to play this one and maybe when I get it playable someone can finish it off to perfection? Well, we’ll see!

Here is the excellent tutorial I found on the game rules.

What I have determined on the game build from rules/flyer.

23 switches = 4 mushroom bumpers,1  hit rebound, 2 buttons below hit rebound, 3 bumpers, 3 street rollovers, 1 left side rollover, 2 outlanes, 2 slings, 2 center buttons, 1 free ball game, 1

Lamps:

Playfield – hit rebound 100, hit rebound 200, 10,50,100,200,300,500 clarinet bonus, streetlamp, free ball gate lit, free ball gate open, GI lamps

Backglass – ballinplay 1,2,3,4,5, D-I-X-I-E-L-A-N-D, MATCH, GAME OVER, TILT

kicker  switch, 1 key gate switch (closes key gate)

Hit rebound = increments  the center  two scoring buttons. Lower center = 100 when lit, upper center = 200 when lit. Starts at 100 pt rollover, 1 hit = 200 rollover and opens key gate for rest of ball. Returns to 100 pt rollover and 200 pt goes out when any switch is hit.

Bumpers – lit = 100

Left switch near keygate = 100

Left/right outlane = 50

2 Slings = 10 points

3 center buttons =  left button CLOSES BASIN STREET GATE, center button OPENS BASIN STREET GATE, right button opens FREE BALL GATE when lit (turns off FREE BALL GATE and lights GATE OPEN).

Clarinet kickout – bonus scores 10,50,200,300,500. 500 advances a letter in DIXIELAND. When clarinet kickout is max (500) and ball goes in, Dixieland is advanced, 500 scored and reset clarinet bonus to 10.

FREE BALL gate – when open turns off GATE OPEN lamp and returns ball to shooter.

Basin Street – 10 or 200 when street lamp is not lit.

Street Lamp – lights when Clarinet score = 300. When lit, 10 point rollover  = 200 and 200 point rollover = 500 advances a letter in DIXIELAND

Yellow mushroom(2) = 100 and advances clarinet bonus, opens flippers, lights FREE BALL GATE.

Blue mushroom – opens KEY GATE (left side) for rest of ball

Red mushroom – closes flippers

ZIPPER FLIPPERS – when engaged turns off FREE BALL GATE lamp and GATE OPEN,CLOSES FREE BALL GATE. When closed restore GATE status (open, lamps, etc)

Lighting DIXIELAND = 1 replay

5 balls per game

MAX SCORE = 9,999 (4 digits)

MAX REPLAY = 25

REPLAYS = 3800, 4600, 5400, 6000

Backglass = (1) two digit credit wheel, (1) four digit score reel, ball in play lights (5), (9) letters – DIXIELAND

bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

Grrreat. There is a schematic available, too to help with any unclear logic:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/692/Bally_1968_Dixieland_Schematic_continuous.pdf

I’m not the best at reading these but guys like loserman76 and scottacus are pros.

Loserman76
        Participant
          @loserman76
          vipMemberContributor

Looking forward to this one.

LTA
          Participant
            @luvthatapex

Build commences.

Attachments:
            JR
            Participant
              @jfr1

Do I spot a pin part way down the death lane? :)

LTA
              Participant
                @luvthatapex

Next WIP

Attachments:
                The Loafer
                Participant
                  @theloafer

Oh my god!  of all unreleased VPX tables, this one is at the top of my list. I’ve had the pleasure of playing a real one a few years ago and loved it to death.  Quite complex ruleset/layout considering the era!  Thanks for working on it fan of old DVD player!

LTA
                  Participant
                    @luvthatapex

Work in progress shot #3

Attachments:
                    LTA
                    Participant
                      @luvthatapex

and a working directb2s backglass (credits and score so far).

Attachments:
                      The Loafer
                      Participant
                        @theloafer

You are doing an excellent job. So nice to see a VP legend coming out with a new release!

LTA
                        Participant
                          @luvthatapex

ok, plastics in, mushroom bumpers proper color, apron changes, rules updated, ket gate, street game, free ball game added.

I have to layout the clarinet bonus labels on the playfield next.

Attachments:
                          LTA
                          Participant
                            @luvthatapex

ok, plastics in, mushroom bumpers proper color, apron changes, rules updated, key gate, street gate, free ball gate added. Proper flipper colors.

I have to layout the clarinet bonus labels on the playfield next.

Attachments:
                            bord
                              @bord

Such a great game layout. Elements from all across the Zale canon.

LTA
                              Participant
                                @luvthatapex

ok last one for today. More lighting and refinements. I also finished the directb2s. Its all coming back to me after a long hiatus :)

Attachments:
                                JR
                                Participant
                                  @jfr1

Ah, a gate!  The powers that be at Bally must have made Zale add that.  Looking great!

LTA
                                  Participant
                                    @luvthatapex

A few more missing playfield items and it’s just about done. I moved it onto my cab for some Friday morning flips before work. I feel like a kid again after not playing it for decades!

Attachments:
                                    LTA
                                    Participant
                                      @luvthatapex

I am stuck at the moment on the carry over feature (backglass D-I-X-I-E-L-A-N-D). I found the following games use this cool feature from the 60s (there may be more ballys).

Carry Over games
                                      —————-
                                      Bally Hay-Ride 1964
                                      Bally Harvest 1964
                                      Bally Grand Tour 1964
                                      Bally Trio 1964
                                      Bally Dixieland 1968
                                      Bally Sky Divers 1964

Does anyone know how to save this progress so when you load the table the directb2s backglass will have the DIXIELAND letter(s) restored?

bord
                                        @bord

Paging @scottacus since he built Grand Tour recently.

Scottacus
                                        Participant
                                          @scottacus
                                          MembervipContributor

Oh I see I was paged?   I’m so busy with Cuphead that I don’t follow along here so that was a great way to get my attention @bord!

The letters “D,I,X,I,E,L,A,N,D” on the backglass have some sort of payout when completed?  If so then you must have some variable like “dixieland” that gets incremented by one each time whatever game play event gets completed.  When “dixieland” gets to 9 then the game pays out?

First off you’ll need to have a system in your table for saving a “high score” file to the computer.  If you don’t have one open up Grand Tour and copy out the save and load high score subs and use those.  Save the dixieland variable to that file and when a new instance of the table starts in VPX read that variable from the file.  On the B2S you probably have lights that correspond to the letters?  Set those up as values like 100, 101 … 109 and use the B2SSetData to send the instruction to B2S to light the letters.  In this case you’ll probably need a loop to send all of the numbers (100 and 101 and 102 if lit to the X).

If you’ve got questions PM me.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          LTA
                                          LTA
                                          Participant
                                            @luvthatapex
                                            ok, very helpful! I got everything working except the saving and loading of the letters. Probably goofed up the save logic. Here is the backglass working with the carry over so far……

Oh I see I was paged? I’m so busy with Cuphead that I don’t follow along here so that was a great way to get my attention @bord!

The letters “D,I,X,I,E,L,A,N,D” on the backglass have some sort of payout when completed? If so then you must have some variable like “dixieland” that gets incremented by one each time whatever game play event gets completed. When “dixieland” gets to 9 then the game pays out?

First off you’ll need to have a system in your table for saving a “high score” file to the computer. If you don’t have one open up Grand Tour and copy out the save and load high score subs and use those. Save the dixieland variable to that file and when a new instance of the table starts in VPX read that variable from the file. On the B2S you probably have lights that correspond to the letters? Set those up as values like 100, 101 … 109 and use the B2SSetData to send the instruction to B2S to light the letters. In this case you’ll probably need a loop to send all of the numbers (100 and 101 and 102 if lit to the X).

If you’ve got questions PM me.

Attachments:
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?