DMD behind playfield & under glass

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    RustyCardores
      @rustycardores
      MemberModerator

I added a DMD behind my playfield, under the glass….  and while it’s a bit different, I gotta say that I kinda like it.  Looking up to the backglass never made for a “quick glance” during game play, but with the DMD in this position, it’s virtually in my FOV at all times. :)

“Why?” I hear you ask.

Well the plan was always to mod my topbox to fit a real DMD, but I don’t have the coin at the moment (kids with broken angles & wisdom teeth… medical bills up the kahoona!!!) plus I really couldn’t be stuffed making the mod.

This however was very quick, very easy and FREE! as I used an old screen I had just laying around.  It’s totally reversible without visual damage too, so I can always update to a real DMD later as originally planned.

I added some PMD LEDs while I was at it ;) https://vimeo.com/203561979

jonch919
      Participant
        @jonch919

That looks great, fantastic idea that I might steal one day..  :good:

Top 3 favorite pinball tables:
        1. Twilight Zone
        2. Attack from Mars
        3. Medieval Madness

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Interesting! Very clever!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

RustyCardores
            @rustycardores
            MemberModerator

I have a 20 inch iMac panel sitting here, so I’ll order a driver board for it I think.  It will be a much nicer screen.  Turning it sideways I have the full depth of the cab to hide the rest in.  I could almost squeeze in a 24inch, but even if I could there would be no airflow underneath, as it would all be forced to the sides.  I think this might create a hot spot area in the cab and I would like to avoid that.

Another option would be to run the 20 in normal orientation. A front panel with a hole could then create a normal DMD size, while the LEDs could be changed to regular pinball domes that sit in front on the face of the panel.   Yeah… I actually see this happening, as I have a second cab down the road that I can move this setup to. :)

RustyCardores
              @rustycardores
              MemberModerator

BrightDMD

Well it’s taken me almost 2 years but I have finally swapped out the old DMD screen for a better one.  It has much better colour and a much greater viewing angle so it now looks bright and contrasty from everywhere. I’m really am quite surprised with how much DMD detail I have been missing out on all this time.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              GeorgeH
              Participant
                @georgeh

Interesting placement.  Do you have any problems with reflections off the glass making it difficult to see it?  Also do you any problems with diffraction or distortion through the glass?

George

RustyCardores
                  @rustycardores
                  MemberModerator

Interesting placement. Do you have any problems with reflections off the glass making it difficult to see it? Also do you any problems with diffraction or distortion through the glass?

George

No problems with reflections off playfield or distortion through glass. The image above is pretty much WYSIWYG.

CarnyPriest
                  Participant
                    @carnypriest

At least the DMD is closer to where your eyes would be. Maybe that makes it more distracting/challenging!

RustyCardores
                      @rustycardores
                      MemberModerator

At least the DMD is closer to where your eyes would be. Maybe that makes it more distracting/challenging!

I don’t find it a distraction at all during game play and less eye travel results in less “playfield blackout”.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?