Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    topper-2k
    Participant
    @topper-2k

Noob working on my first build.

I bought a generic Williams style plunger/shooter. I’m walking through the pinscape guide on installing it using a sliding potentiometer and for the first time noticed the plunger mounting plate in the assembly diagrams.

My plunger didn’t come with one.

I’m building out of 3/4 hardwood plywood and am using a 3D printed plastic mounting bracket for the potentiometer.

How essential is the mounting plate?

topper-2k
    Participant
    @topper-2k

BTW, I took a closer look and answered part of my question.

Without a mounting plate, the top two mounting posts on the plunger will be flush with the plywood on the inside of the cabinet.

But the bottom one is a little proud, maybe by 1/8″ I’d checked the top ones before and just didn’t look closely enough to notice the bottom one was different.

I could:

1. make this work with washers
    2. make a mounting plate out of thin (1/4″) MDF
    3. just buy a metal mounting plate

I’m leaning towards option 2. It would provide a solid stable surface for the 3D printed plastic plunger parts. It obviously won’t be as strong as a metal plate.

How important is that metal plate? Am I going to break my cabinet if I don’t have it?

topper-2k
    Participant
    @topper-2k

Here’s what I’m talking about.

The lower post is flush, not proud (which is making me feel a little crazy).

Anyone else done it this way or does everyone cut a big hole and use a mounting plate?

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

Grrrrrrr

LynnInDenver
    Participant
    @lynnindenver

Technically Radiant Silverball is also missing the inside plate, I just rely on the potentiometer mount I 3D printed to secure it. Prior to that I 3D printed a straight plate.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
    Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
    Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Mark70
    Participant
    @mark70

I checked my cab build pictures, the way I drilled the holes is similar to yours.
    I used that mounting plate for the inside of the cab, but I guess you could use anything else that fits.

Attachments:
    topper-2k
    Participant
    @topper-2k

Ok, well I cleaned up the cuts a little with a router, but still left the cutout the same shape. And I made a mounting plate out of 1/4″ MDF.

You can see the result here: https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/500-full-size-cab-can-it-be-done-lets-find-out/page/3/#post-176584

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW