Do X/Y/Z Scale in POV still affect physics?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    freelunch
    Participant
      @freelunch

I’m not sure why I haven’t asked this before, but I was confused about a year back when I learned: (1) Changing X/Y/Z Scale in POV affects physics. (2) Tables are often published with different default X/Y/Z Scale in POV among desktop, FS, and FSS.

Is (2) the case because: (A) People expect the physics difference problem to not exist in the future. (B) X/Y/Z Scales are supposed to be different by a specific number difference among desktop, FS, and FSS POV to simulate the same physics. (C) This problem is already fixed. (D) This was never a problem because all my memories are a lies.

HauntFreaks
        @hauntfreaks
        vipContributorMember

I’ve tested and looked into the POV of tables for countless hours since VP9…..  I’ve never seen it change the physics on any of the tables (100’s)….
        BUT you can fuck a table up if you touch the Z scale, it should always = “1”  (never change it, also there is NEVER a situation where you would need to change it)
        other then that you can make the table look as authentic or as wonky as you want…..

there are many threads where I explain what all the values do….

2 users thanked author for this post.
        freelunch
        Participant
          @freelunch

Good, I’m glad I’m failing to remember the details here, because the problem I made up sounds more annoying than reality.

vogliadicane
          Participant
            @vogliadicane

I definitely experienced physics changes. Well, if you can call it physics change; in detail I remember one table, where one kicker hole kicked the ball to a slightly different direction after touching y-scale. No major physics changes, though.

freelunch
            Participant
              @freelunch

I definitely experienced physics changes. Well, if you can call it physics change; in detail I remember one table, where one kicker hole kicked the ball to a slightly different direction after touching y-scale. No major physics changes, though.

Hmm, I have a vague memory of this happening, too, but I don’t trust my memories at this point. I’m inclined to trust a veteran like HF, but I’ll do some of my own testing to see if I can recreate the problem that I thought used to happen. I’ll post my findings when I get around to it.

The Loafer
              Participant
                @theloafer

If no one should touch the z setting, why isn’t this locked out?  I’ve ready many a thread over the years where a user changed this setting which lead to a stuck ball so I don’t really get why this is an editable field

freelunch
                Participant
                  @freelunch

If no one should touch the z setting, why isn’t this locked out? I’ve ready many a thread over the years where a user changed this setting which lead to a stuck ball so I don’t really get why this is an editable field

I’m not sure, but I can make an educated guess. I recently asked about the UI over on vpforums in the 10.5 beta thread and how it doesn’t scale properly with different Windows DPI scaling, and fuzzel said the UI is a mess, and he’s made changes he could, but he can’t make some changes he’d like to without redoing all the UI and thus rewrite half the application.
                  https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=39428&p=411527

BorgDog
                  Participant
                    @borgdog
                    MemberContributorvip

I suppose if someone wanted to build a table with a wonky z scale to get the look they wanted, and made everything work at that scale then you could have something other than 1, but just don’t ever change it unless you are the guy or gal building the table.

The Loafer
                    Participant
                      @theloafer

I’ll have to follow up with the fuzz man, gotta be a reason

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?