dof issue with Totem table

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I noticed on totem that there were a few objects that did not actuate my solenoids.  both bumpers did not work and the slingshots did not work.  since I have a totem, I pulled out the manual to get the switch numbers and found that there are 6 different items that are labeled W60, 2 slings and 4 other items around the bumpers.  when I went into the table config in dof for totem the slings had E103 and E104.  when I changed them to W60, 4 solenoids all hit at the same time when you hit any of the 6 labeled W60.  what are the E103 and E104 referencing, because they didn’t work before.  also the bumpers don’t work which are both W14,   how do you actuate bumpers in dof with diferent solenoids when they are both labeled the same thing

outhere
        @outhere
        MemberContributorvipModerator

That’s not how it works ….
        The game needs more coding for everything to work…

Maybe somebody with more knowledge than me will step in and explain it

gtxjoe
        Participant
          @gtxjoe

That is how it works.

W is for solenoids controlled by the ROM. No table scripting of solenoids required for DOF to work

E is for custom DOF events added to the table script. E103 and E104 probably exist in a different version of this table

if the real life table uses one solenoid for all bumpers then hitting one bumper should cause all bumpers to activate

TerryRed
            @terryred
            MemberContributorModerator

We only have 10 solenoids to use in DOF…so sometimes some of them serve multiple purposes. The middle and rear 6 “bumper” solenoids can be used for almost anything.

I think it would have been better from the beginning to have 3 dedicated “BUMPER only” solenoids, and leave the other 3 for everything else that is needed.

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

We only have 10 solenoids to use in DOF…so sometimes some of them serve multiple purposes. The middle and rear 6 “bumper” solenoids can be used for almost anything.

I think it would have been better from the beginning to have 3 dedicated “BUMPER only” solenoids, and leave the other 3 for everything else that is needed.

I don’t know why you would want that, bumper, sling, whatever doesn’t really matter since it’s all location based.  are you going to have your dedicated bumpers in the front, rear, left, right?

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

I figured out that when the vpx version was made the DOF events were left out of the script.  Putting them back in based on the vp9 script.  This is interesting learning this but definitely the hard way

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation
                  MemberContributor

Added flasher effect when you hit one of the drop targets on the first bank, it worked but since the target is still down the light stayed on.  How would I write that in dof to only flash once I did “ W24 yellow f200”, would I have to add something in the script like an event instead of using the switch since it stays on till reset

outhere
                    @outhere

Try This

W24 yellow f200 @dt@

Tom
                    Participant
                      @armyaviation
                      MemberContributor

I actually added events in the script and it worked.  I submitted it to the author to try with all the changes and hopefully he approves.  What is the @dt@ for

outhere
                        @outhere

On the port assignments of the DOF config tool web sitee… That represents a drop target Duration but it also works for other things in the DOF

Or in place of that you can put a number but I believe it has to be increments of 60

TerryRed
                          @terryred

I don’t know why you would want that, bumper, sling, whatever doesn’t really matter since it’s all location based. are you going to have your dedicated bumpers in the front, rear, left, right?

I would have the most likely just in the rear since that is where most tables have them anyway. After doing a lot of DOF for tables…and I have done it the same way arngrim does (position based)…in the end I find the difference between having a bumper use the rear solenoids verses the middle is minimal…and this also depends on the person’s setup and location. No matter how we do it, you can’t ideally make it work well for every table for every person’s setup.

My original meaning was that if we had “dedicated” bumper “toys” (3 of them), then ALL tables would have used them for their config as a standard, and you can have REAL bumpers used for that like what Bord did with his Wedgehead. I imagine for many tables he needs to change the DOF config to use the right toy for his bumpers. We have dedicated toys for slings and flippers…despite the fact that there are flippers and slings at the back of some tables.

No “perfect” way to do it regardless…and it’s still awesome as is….just letting thoughts pour out.

This is one area where SSF excels greatly at.

TerryRed
                            @terryred

I’m updating my DOF Config Creator sheet, (that was originally made for MX Leds), to now include most of the standard DOF toys. Making a full DOF and MX led config with this is way easier.

When it’s done I’ll upload it for anyone to use….and I’ll include a few example tables I’ve done.

You may just have a heart attack when you see what I do for adding in DOF and MX Leds for tables like STSE with all my crazy effects.

CarnyPriest
                            Participant
                              @carnypriest

I don’t need a heart attack. It will be enough if I just wet my pants.

TerryRed
                                @terryred

I don’t need a heart attack. It will be enough if I just wet my pants.

A preview…

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

I don’t know why you would want that, bumper, sling, whatever doesn’t really matter since it’s all location based. are you going to have your dedicated bumpers in the front, rear, left, right?

Lol…I just realized it was YOUR cab I was talking about… :)

Don’t you have 3 dedicated real BUMPERs in your cab? Do you find that some tables won’t match up your bumpers with what is configured in the DOF config for the table?

BorgDog
                                  Participant
                                    @borgdog
                                    MemberContributorvip

basically I don’t worry about it.  in all honesty the sound between the real pop mechs, real sling mechs and real flipper mechs is just not that different, they are all basically a metal plunger in a sleeve inside a coil that hits a coil stop, there is some variation, but it’s not huge.  Now if the pops actually hit a ball that would be different, but mostly it’s where the sound is that’s important, so my bumpers are on the back row, so for something like TAF that has the pops on the mid left if it was firing in the back that would feel off, kind of like when windows decides to rearrange my sound outputs and ball rolling sounds come out the backbox.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?