DOFLinx Future Pinball WIP tables: Let us know what tables you are working on!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    TerryRed
      @terryred
      MemberContributorModerator

Since more and people are starting to add DOFLinx support to Future Pinball tables, I thought a centralized thread where people can let others know what they are working on would be a good idea.

This will prevent having one person starting work on a table while not realizing that another person has already done work on the same table. No need for duplicated efforts…plenty of tables to do!

Myself, I am currently working on Iron Man (Ultimate Edition), and then will do Tron Legacy (SLAMT1LT, original) once v1.13 is released.

After that it will probably be Avatar, maybe ACDC.

I do want to do SLAM’s original Back to the Future, Nightmare on Elm Street, as well as Tron Legacy (Stern), LOTR, Transformers, etc when their new updates are released well.   If it takes too long to happen, then I may do some of these in the mean time.

I know senseless is working on Phantom of the Opera (Ultimate).

If you ARE going to start to work on a table….try to post about it here before you begin, and maybe also on vpforums (but nothing about STERN tables!) so that we are all on track.

bent98
      Participant
        @bent98

I hope you guys give the originals some more love too. There are so many future pinball only tables that you can play on vp that would be good to have i.e. Road girls, classic panic,etc.

I also noticed the stand up targets don’t have any feed back when you hit them. You might want to consider mapping them as well. Thanks for all you hard work.

senseless
        Participant
          @senseless

I’m working on:

• Phantom Of The Opera ULTIMATE 1.04 (almost done)
          • Flash Gordon ULTIMATE 1.08 (started)
          TerryRed
            @terryred

I hope you guys give the originals some more love too. There are so many future pinball only tables that you can play on vp that would be good to have i.e. Road girls, classic panic,etc. I also noticed the stand up targets don’t have any feed back when you hit them. You might want to consider mapping them as well. Thanks for all you hard work.

More originals are eventually getting done as well. Hence why its killing me waiting for Tron, BTTF, and Nightmare to get finished. I wonder what HauntFreaks would think of someone doing his tables…. maybe then he wouldn’t care as much for a VP conversion?

I do map all drop targets….but I’m still on the fence with standup targets.  I personally map only things that are mechanically driven by a solenoid, and standup targets are just a leaf switch as far as I know.  I don’t think any VP tables have them mapped either.  It’s something I’m considering. I know that senseless mapped them on F14 Tomcat.

Dr.Tom
            Participant
              @crile1
              MemberContributor

I also map the drop targets

Compared to others, I think maybe I overdo it, but I like the games when they are ultra flashy.   Not sure what I will tackle next, waiting for a game to inspire me.  I have to say I keep going back to play war of the worlds.   It’s amazing how much the DofLinx can enhance a game.  That game just needed a little push to turn it into a game you can’t walk away from once you start.

TerryRed
                @terryred

I also map the drop targets Compared to others, I think maybe I overdo it, but I like the games when they are ultra flashy. Not sure what I will tackle next, waiting for a game to inspire me. I have to say I keep going back to play war of the worlds. It’s amazing how much the DofLinx can enhance a game. That game just needed a little push to turn it into a game you can’t walk away from once you start.

Being flashy is not a problem…it just really depends on the table, and how you want to do it.

Tables like War of the Worlds are nice because one flash effect doesn’t really interfere with another to much, so it makes for an easy table to add flashers to. What you really have to watch for is multiball modes. Having too much feedback and lighting can make everything blend instead of being distinct.

Iron Man, on the other hand has sooooo many modes, sounds, etc…. and SLAM doesn’t just have “this Trigger does this one thing all the time” type of scripting.

As an example… he uses a trigger on a ramp (which has 3 triggers) to play 3 different machine gun sounds selected at random. Each sound is longer and different than the other. So trying to match up animated flashers (which uses the same animation sub routine) requires changing Timers, cycle counts,etc. on the fly. You need to match each instance with the sounds or videos being played, and they need to be put in the correct sub-routine within bigger sub-routines. I also have to make my own sub routine additions to make certain animations work ONLY during certain conditions…like multiball, and other modes.

I’m also adding in different RGB undercab colours based on your music selection.

This table is alot of work…but its soooo cool!

Dr.Tom
                Participant
                  @crile1
                  MemberContributor

Holy crap!  That is why you are the master, TerryRed.  Trying to sort all those little things out through the script gives me a headache.  Although, I figured out last night how to get the correct flashers to work with light Saber bonus counters on the empire game.  Looks pretty sweet.  But I get what you mean by over doing it.  I really wanted to anim as text the red ramp on empire, but there was already a flasherforMS going off when the ball ejects, so thought would be too busy.  FYI, I don’t have an undercab light, so if you play one of my Mods and feel there is a place where it would add to the experience, let me know and I’ll add and update it.

TerryRed
                    @terryred

Iron Man has 3 different multiball modes, and 3 additional jackpot modes. I wanted the beacon to always turn on during multiball modes and jackpot modes…but I also wanted it for when the Iron Monger rises up,etc… the tricky part was mkaing sure it didn’t turn off at the wrong time as well.   That required ALOT of searching…  but you can start to see the pattern by looking for key words, and backtracking what triggers what, and eventually you find a very easy way to do things that will work correctly, instead of putting in a crap load of commands.

The sheer number of details, sounds, variations,etc that SLAMT1LT puts into some of these tables is amazing.  Just the number of different subroutines for the 2 magnets is crazy. I used the shaker and flashers for some cool effects for that.

I do find myself doing more complex stuff, but in a more efficient way with every table.

TerryRed
                      @terryred

Iron Man is coming along very nicely…. I should be done it in the next day or two. I’ve been busy shoveling A LOT of snow!

-It was alot of work to try to have unique effects based on what mode you’re in (so they don’t overlap)…and to have machine gun effects match up with the different machine gun sound file lengths.
                      -In normal mode, the ramps will do a trail effect (along with the thrust sound) combined with the blower fan to give a woosh.
                      -In Iron Monger mode, the ramps do machine gun effects.
                      -Whiplash’s magnet and electricity gives off an electric white animated effect combined with the shaker motor whenever the magnet holds your ball. Iron Monger does the same for “malfunction”, with blue’ish colours (that is such a cool effect there with the flippers,etc).
                      -Every time the repulsor is fired off (launch and Iron Monger attack), the flashers slowly charge up “white” to match the video clip and then blast.
                      -The shaker is also used for machine gun effects and the repulsor blast.
                      -Everytime Iron Monger rises and lowers, the gear motor operates.
                      -The RGB under cabinet lighting will change based on your music selection.
                      -Fire button, of course works!
                      -Animated Orbits left / right.
                      -Beacon going off during all multiball modes, bogey, jericho, do or die, and Iron Monger modes.
                      -Strobes go off at certain times
                      -more and more stuff…

I LOVE this table!

Now that Tron Legacy 1.13 is out….I’ll start on that right away after Iron Man is done!

Dr.Tom
                      Participant
                        @crile1
                        MemberContributor

Awesome, can’twait to give it a spin.  I am updating war of the worlds and empire with a new bonus multiplier animation and will have those up soon.  Going to tackle Goonies and/or Star Wars Death Star Assault next.  The Goonies table for me is a drain monster, but boy if it doesn’t have a heaping supply of nostalgia built into it.

TerryRed
                          @terryred

I had a feeling Goonies was coming soon….   one of my favorite movies of all time.

Great table too.

Iron man is almost done. I spent all last night just sorting through all the MANY different jackpot, bonus, double jackpot, super jackpot, multiball, do or die, bogey, Jericho, etc modes so that they will have different flashing colours based on the mode you are in.

I also have it where the RGB under cabinet lighting will change to the same colour based on what mode you are in, then it will switch back to the original colour (based on music selection).

I was asking SLAM about some details on the rules. He said this was his most complicated and difficult table that he did because of all the modes and the stacking, etc…   After last night, I believe him.

Dr.Tom
                          Participant
                            @crile1
                            MemberContributor

Goonies doflinx mod project has officially begun.

TerryRed
                              @terryred

Iron Man (Ultimate Edition) is done… I’m just in the process of uploading it now.

In the mean time, here’s a wonderful video demo of it running in my cabinet for you to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_yaZliqSbPC1-AgqRgZkBg

TerryRed
                                @terryred

Tron Legacy (Ultimate 1.13) (SLAMT1LT, original) is underway….

I’m a little sore from doing my PT test today (I’m a tech in the military). Man, changing over to Air Force (I used to be Army) was a good decision because when you get into your 40’s, doing this stuff makes you sore and tired!

So, I will resume modding tomorrow…  :)

Dr.Tom
                                Participant
                                  @crile1
                                  MemberContributor

Goonies is done and should be up for download soon.  A lot of sweat and tears into this one.  I find myself wanting to add more and more stuff.  For this one, I tried to add a flasher sequence to each mode.  Well, I got tired at the end and doubled up on a few but varied the duration.  But, it is pretty cool that once you play a few times, you recognize the mode by the flasher animation.  I’ve also really gotten into adding lights (simple flashers) to the bonus multipliers at the end of ball.  For me it adds that little extra zing.  TerryRed, I’d love to hear your comments on the use of beacon and blower on this table.  My first addition of a beacon.  No idea how it will look in real life, but let me know.  I based the duration on some of your other Mods.

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

Just an update…. Tron Legacy (SLAMT1LT, original) is coming along nicely…. what an amazing table.

I was playing around with trying different methods for RGB flasher animations:

-animated flasher sub-routines that self-change flasher brightness settings (total %) depending on the bonus multipliers (or any other event you want)…or an auto increase based on time, etc…
                                    -Timer settings that change on their own to make an animation speed change depending on other events, or just an incremental speed change
                                    -using variables for colours that can self-change with one animation sub-routine instead of creating a whole bunch for different colours

In the end it doesn’t change much for what you guys actually see, but with each table I mod, I learn more and figure out smarter / better ways of doing things. I don’t always use them with each table, but the basics are there if I want to try to use them.

I can do straight up solenoid feedback and RGB flashers (with only DOFLinx commands) that match the table VERY quickly if I want.

…but tables like SLAMT1LT’s are kind of like the Jersey Jack of digital pinball. So much effort is put into the details of sounds, music, videos, game modes, features….   each time I go through the scripts for one of these tables it blows my mind the work that is put into it. I get inspired to try something a little different with each table…wherever I can at least.  I also want effects to be distinct with what’s happening, and not become a mixed up mess. This requires ALOT of testing and sometimes requires more than simple DOFLinx commands to get it right. Sometimes, less is more.

I spent the last night or so on Tron Legacy with something that sounds simple, but it took a lot of work to sort it out and make it work with the script. I wanted to have it so that every shot on the ramp would give an animated left to right flasher animation. Something I did a crap load of on other tables…. but with this table I wanted the colour of the animated effect to be different depending on what mode / stage you were in. I also wanted to have each “level” of the ramp bonus directly affect the brightness of the animation with each shot as well.

Well I got it all sorted, but scrapped the brightness idea. It worked well enough, but it just didn’t really like the way it looked.

I originally had commands all over the script that enabled Timers for the different coloured flasher animation sub-routines. It’s not the way I like to do things, and created more problems to make it work the way I wanted. So, instead I worked though it and came up with this sub routine:

‘DOFLinx – Ramp – Colour – Modes
                                    Sub DOFLinx_Ramp_Colour_Mode()
                                     If (RampCombo = TRUE) Then
                                      DOFLinx_Combo_Jackpot()
                                      Exit Sub
                                     End If
                                    If (CluBall = FALSE) Then

If (ZuseJP > 1) Then
                                      DOFLinx_Combo_Jackpot()
                                      Exit Sub
                                     End If
                                      If (GridActive = False) Then ‘Not in the Grid Mode
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Green_Stage=1  ‘DOFLinx – LR Green Stage
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Green.Enabled=True  ‘DOFLinx – LR Green Timer
                                      End If
                                      If (GridActive = TRUE) and (IDDiscActive = FALSE) and (ID = FALSE) and (LightCycleActive = FALSE) and (ZuseActive = FALSE) and (DiscWarsRamp =>1) Then ‘Grid – No ID Disc
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Purple_Stage=1    ‘DOFLinx Left to Right Purple Stage
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Purple.Enabled=True   ‘DOFLinx Left to Right Purple Timer
                                      End If
                                      If (DiscWarsRamp = 0) and (ID = FALSE) and (IDDiscActive = FALSE) and (IDDiscReady = FALSE) Then  ‘Grid – Armoury Unlocked’
                                      End If
                                      If (GridActive = TRUE) and (IDDiscActive = False) and (IDDiscReady = True) and (LightCycleMode = FALSE) and (RampHit => 5) Then ‘ Grid – Ramp =>5
                                      End If
                                      If (IDDiscActive = True) or (DiscWarsReady = TRUE) or (DiscWarsActive = True) or (DiscWarsRepeat = TRUE) or (LightCycleReady = True) and (LightCycleMode = FALSE) Then  ‘Grid – ID Disc – Ready For All Games
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Blue_Stage=1    ‘DOFLinx Left to Right Blue Stage
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Blue.Enabled=True   ‘DOFLinx Left to Right Blue Timer
                                      End If
                                    End If
                                    If (CluBall = True) Then  ‘Clu Mode
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Yellow_Stage=1    ‘DOFLinx Left to Right Yellow Stage
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Yellow.Enabled=True   ‘DOFLinx Left to Right Yellow Timer
                                    End If
                                    If (LightCycleMode = True) Then ‘Sam’s Light Cycle on Ramp
                                      DOFLinx_LR_White_Stage=1    ‘DOFLinx Left to Right White Stage
                                      DOFLinx_LR_White.Enabled=True   ‘DOFLinx Left to Right White Timer
                                    End If
                                    If (ZuseReady = True) or (ZuseActive = True) Then ‘Zuse Mode
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Red_Stage=1    ‘DOFLinx Left to Right Red Stage
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Red.Enabled=True   ‘DOFLinx Left to Right Red Timer
                                    End If
                                    If (PortalReady = True) or (PortalMode = True) Then ‘Portal Mode
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Cyan_Stage=1    ‘DOFLinx Left to Right White Stage
                                      DOFLinx_LR_Cyan.Enabled=True   ‘DOFLinx Left to Right White Timer
                                    End If
                                    End Sub  ‘DOLFinx Ramp colour Modes Sub Ends

As a result, instead of inserting a crap load of commands used all over the table script…. I used “one” DOFLinx_Ramp_Colour_Mode() command in the table’s “ramp” sub-routine…that’s it. I also have all my Colour sub routines grouped together… though I could also just use one animation sub routine and change up the “colour” by using a variable.

Why the extra work?  SLAMT1LT is one of the few FP authors out there who is always updating his tables. Unlike VP (arcade pinballs), FP doesn’t use roms. So if SLAM updates this table in the future (which he most likely will), then I have to mod the script all over again. Doing things this way, makes it easier to re-enter single sub-routine calls throughout the script…and I can also change up aspects of the animations and effects much easier to my liking afterward.

I’ve also taken a liking to making the RGB under cabinet lighting change for different things. For Superman, I made the lighting change to green for Krypton ball, and other colours for the multiball modes. For Iron Man, it was the music selection and the multiball modes

For Tron, I’ve made it so that the RGB under cabinet colour changes to match whatever “character” the randomizer choses. I’ve also started having it turn off at certain times to reflect events going on to bring focus to what’s occurring, etc…   It’s surprisingly effective…especially during video clips,etc..    Makes me want to go back and update Aliens Legacy to do more of this.

Keep in mind…up until a couple of months ago…. I never even looked at Visual Basic. The last bit or programming I did was with Q-Basic back in 1995.

This is all new to me, but I think I’m covering this new territory with Future Pinball (cabinet feedback, RGB modulated flashers, animated effects, etc) with some really cool results. Have you ever seen a pinball game with animated RGB flashers mimicking machine gun fire or nuclear explosions before? 

I’ve taken some inspiration from the amazing work done with VP and addressable LEDS…but I’m not restricted by roms…. I can do whatever I want!

What I really need from you guys is feedback on how the effects look with the normal 5 flasher bar, and specifically how the shaker, gear and blower fans effects work out for you on the tables I’ve done so far.

Since I don’t have a shaker or gear motor, I can’t quite know how those effects are coming across to someone playing. I mean….does the gear motor only give noise for feedback, or do you feel it at all?

Dr.Tom
                                    Participant
                                      @crile1
                                      MemberContributor

So far on your tables, the 5 panel flashers have looked great.  The shaker has been appropriate.  Cannot comment on gear or blower.  I did swap shaker for gear and knock for fan in the script for Jaws so that I could get extra effects for my personal cabinet setup.  That is something to think about.  Showing people that a simple find and replace can activate “hidden” effects that they are not experiencing because they do not have certain toys on their setups.

TerryRed
                                        @terryred

Tron Legacy (Ultimate Edition) (SLAMT1LT, original)  is done!

….just trying to finish up a demo video! Then I’ll upload the table when the video is done….

I just noticed….. over 1000 lines of DOFLinx (and my own VB) code I put into this table!

Holy Crap!

randr
                                        Keymaster
                                          @randr
                                          ModeratorMember

Your videos are so well done it may take as long as the mod to table! Lol :)

********************************************************
                                          Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                          for IOS and Android

********************************************************

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

I will upload the table later today, after work…

…but for now enjoy the video demonstration.

randr, I’m sure you will enjoy the introduction in particular….you’ll know it when you see it!   ;)

Seriously….it’s a very cool table and worth watching the entire video.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 104 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?