Dr. Dude (Bally 1990)

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 300 total)
  • Author
    The Loafer
    Participant
      @theloafer

IMHO the reason why people prefer louder ball-on-everything sound stems from the perceived notion that ball-interaction sounds are loud in real life.  Indeed, they are… when the glass is off!  With the glass on, you just don’t hear as much sound effects like ball on metal wire ramps.  Modern pins have so many sound effects/music, that stuff gets usually drowned out.  Now on older EM’s that’s when the ball rolling sounds are usually much appreciated since there’s so little other sounds so they should be more noticeable.  In saying ALL of the above, I still do like to hear those little sound effects so I’m ok with them in, they just aren’t always realistic.

Like everything else wrong with our society, I’m blaming youtube for this affront :)

Mark70
      Participant
        @mark70

Thanks for this major update again! It comes out great.
        It must have been a lot of work, and it is much appreciated.

Regarding the wire ramps sound effects, I also like them loud.
        It might be unrealistic for a real table, but can add much realism to a virtual table.
        But of course this is just personal taste :)

chokeee
        Participant
          @chokeee

<!–more–>

WOW it looks fucking amazing! One thing Ill try to change for myself will be wire ramps sound (Ill take it form v1.5). On 2.0 it sounds like plastic ramps ;) Thank you for your work on this gem! :heart:

Heh – I have a real pin with metal wire ramps. It really makes very little noise at all when the ball is on them. I think we’ve gotten accustomed to the exaggerated “knife-sharpening” metal sounds on a lot of tables. Kind of like Hollywood movies where footsteps and fight scenes have embellished sounds. The nice thing with VP is that we can always change the table to match our tastes.

You absolutly right. Everybody can change table as he likes. I like metal rolling sound and other small sounds on virtual pinball because It makes more “real”. I also feel the weight of ball ;) Thanks guys for great table.

RustyCardores
            @rustycardores
            MemberModerator

The REALLY good thing about Rob’s new VPX surround sound, is that individual sound volumes can be adjusted in the VPX Sound Manager.

It is still possible to delve into the script and make adjustments, but now even those who don’t script at all, can simply drag the volume slider for whatever sound they feel the need to adjust.  In the case of the wire ramps, the effect here is a combination of the rolling ball sound and the wirebump sounds.

If you want to adjust the rolling ball on the wire ramp only and not effect the rolling ball on table, then this would be done in the rolling ball script by simply reducing the raised ramp rolling ball volume, as  any adjustment to rolling ball in the Sound Manager would effect both ramp and table rolling volumes.

doogie
            Participant
              @doogie

Hmmm it appears that the latest rev is more resource hungry looking at you information.

It plays very smooth out of the box on my cab. And I’m running 4k on a 960, so it barely keeps up with most tables. Looking at those stats, the script usage jumped from 4% to 35%. There seems to be something with nFozzy’s new fast flips stuff that clobbers script performance in some cases (issue reported on Indiana Jones too). I’d first update to the VPX 10.5 beta scripts, there have been fixes made. If that doesn’t work, try changing “usesolenoids” from 2 to 1 in the script and see what happens.

Yeah I have a GTX 960 too and i5-4690K CPU.  I already had the latest 10.5 beta, but I tried it with 10.4, and also with usesolenoids set to 1, and got same results.  I played with it a little more, and it seems like during gameplay the FPS drops and Scripts % increases occasionally, but then returns to normal.  I’m not sure what events are triggering that, but the only time it’s consistently problematic is during attract mode, so maybe that can help pinpoint the issue.

Scotty VH
                @scottt
                ModeratorMember

IMHO the reason why people prefer louder ball-on-everything sound stems from the perceived notion that ball-interaction sounds are loud in real life. Indeed, they are… when the glass is off! With the glass on, you just don’t hear as much sound effects like ball on metal wire ramps. Modern pins have so many sound effects/music, that stuff gets usually drowned out. Now on older EM’s that’s when the ball rolling sounds are usually much appreciated since there’s so little other sounds so they should be more noticeable. In saying ALL of the above, I still do like to hear those little sound effects so I’m ok with them in, they just aren’t always realistic. Like everything else wrong with our society, I’m blaming youtube for this affront :)

A la the Karate Kid, I think we need a “Glass On, Glass Off” setting for sound!    Seriously, actually.  Chalk this up as my contribution idea for VP!

rothbauerw
                  @rothbauerw
                  ModeratorContributorMembervip

I always thought the physical sounds were over done in VP because I never remembered hearing them when I played.  Then I started to pay attention.  I was surprised how much you can actually hear (if you not in an otherwise loud environment).  While sometimes louder than real life, I like what they add to tables.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

I too like the sounds. but some tables the rolling sounds are very load for sure… but the sounds add a lot to the realism if you ask me

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                    for IOS and Android

unzel
                    Participant
                      @unzel

Hello everybody,

tested the dr dude table.

finaly got it fullscreen thanks to the settings poted, and help from Siggy.

next problem: flippers don’t work.

tried other keys on my keyboard, but still nothing.

Perhaps a small thing, but what can it be?

using a test setup with 3 screens and at this moment a keyboard..?

Thalamus
                        @thalamus
                        ContributorMemberModerator

Pretty sure I’ve already mentioned this in this thread. http://vpinball.com/forums/topic/dr-dude-bally-1990/page/8/#post-75426

Don’t just play the tables. Read the support thread in full if you have issues.

Drybonz
                        Participant
                          @drybonz

Ball sounds are the new night>day slider.    B-)

unzel
                          Participant
                            @unzel

Sorry Thalamus,

missed this post.

I will check better next time?

flicki
                            Participant
                              @flicki

I don´t find a way to put on FS.

dfre

so with this values i got fs mode, but i see backglass digits on the playfield ¿anyone knows how could i get fs mode on dr.dude?or quit digits from playfield Thanks :good:

derrrr

Thalamus
                                @thalamus

Open at table that works. Look at the options and learn from that. It is quite obvious why you have problems.

The Loafer
                                Participant
                                  @theloafer

There should be no checkmark for FSS mode and test desktop

stampedem
                                  Participant
                                    @stampedem

Looks like  a great game. How do you get it to take up the full screen?  I understand setting the XY orientation to 270 for portrait.  But how to get it to take up the entire screen?  (Sorry, I’m new to this).  This is the first table I’ve encountered that doesn’t go truly full screen on launch or with manual rotation.

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus

Read this : https://vpinball.com/vpx-cameralight-mode-tutorial/

Jesperpark
                                      Participant
                                        @jesperpark

https://vpinball.com/vpx-cameralight-mode-tutorial/

Not the easy answer, but you should know this. There is a link that Hauntfreaks explains his way of scaling but I can’t find at the moment

Make sure to not touch the z scale!! Causes major issues

Jesperpark
                                        Participant
                                          @jesperpark

Dammit thalamus beat me to it lol.

Thalamus
                                            @thalamus

Well – your answer was better. It contains a warning for the z-scale problem.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 300 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?