Elvira and the Party Monsters (Bally 1989)

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Ben Logan2
    Participant
      @benlogan2

New physics are great. Good flipper bounce and ballspin. Such nice lighting now. Love the way the balls jump over the little metal ramp during multiball release.

Ray Cook
      Participant
        @rako1966

About the coffins: I think, in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO49y0kfI1c it’s quite obvious what is happening. The upper part of the coffin is just flipped upwards on an axis on the top of the plastic, when enough force is applied to the lower part of the coffin (which obviously has some lever behind to flip the upper part). I think the axis is even visible when Elvira/Dracula are visible (the shiny line at the lower part of the plastic !?). Someone mentioned in one of the “how to play” videos, that a fairly direct and powerful hit is required to flip… In the videos it’s often seen, that the top part is flipped, but falls back, probably due to a too weak hit. (e.g. here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDJ72MOWgRg @ 1:22). As I never played this pb, I can not tell if it’s just the target hit that counts, or if there’s an actual switch which recognizes if the flick was successful.

Hope you didn’t know that ones and that they may help  :-)

HauntFreaks
          @hauntfreaks
          vipContributorMember

About the coffins: I think, in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO49y0kfI1c it’s quite obvious what is happening. The upper part of the coffin is just flipped upwards on an axis on the top of the plastic, when enough force is applied to the lower part of the coffin (which obviously has some lever behind to flip the upper part). I think the axis is even visible when Elvira/Dracula are visible (the shiny line at the lower part of the plastic !?). Someone mentioned in one of the “how to play” videos, that a fairly direct and powerful hit is required to flip… In the videos it’s often seen, that the top part is flipped, but falls back, probably due to a too weak hit. (e.g. here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDJ72MOWgRg @ 1:22). As I never played this pb, I can not tell if it’s just the target hit that counts, or if there’s an actual switch which recognizes if the flick was successful. Hope you didn’t know that ones and that they may help :-)

yep…. I’ve seen how it “really” works for a while…. and hope someday for someone to make all the proper 3D models to achieve the correct effect…
          in this update we just just modernized the basic visuals and script format and DOF….. so maybe in the next update all the mechanics for this effect will be ready….

LeChucksBeard
          Participant
            @lechucksbeard

This is a beautiful table, thanks to all involved!

I have to ask this though. I don’t know the original table at all. When any ball goes about halfway up one of the ramps, it shoots back down at speed directly down the middle, practically every single time. Also, the ball feels a bit like it’s a heat seeking missile towards the drains, the left one especially, and often so fast there’s no time to react. I’ve never lost a multiball so quickly. Does the original table play this way?

The Loafer
            Participant
              @theloafer

I can’t say for all EATPM but I can say one I played a couple of years ago made you pay dearly for missed shots (as it should!).  I recommend a good nudge at the right time to assist when missing that left ramp shot.

I tried this last night and WOW!  Superb job, seriously awesome to play.  I look back to what I played 2 years ago on VP9 and IMHO those were extremely fun but for shits and giggles I tried it last night and it’s just such a world of difference in how the table plays, like the VP9 version is a very fun game, but this VPX version of EATPM is such a fun pinball game.  Kudos to you devs and kudos to the VP devs too.

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

@lechucksbeard : I don’t know. You’re not the only one that struggle with mb draining ;-)

Go to 0:56 and see how his Mb plays.

I think Loafer is on the money about that this game can punish you hard if you miss a shot. One has to remember, pinballs was made to steal your quarters away.

LeChucksBeard
                Participant
                  @lechucksbeard

Thanks, yeah, I just found it a bit unusual and repetitive compared to other tables, even those who drain a lot but seem more random about it than this one.

LeChucksBeard
                  Participant
                    @lechucksbeard

haha, that video, yes, losing the 2 balls in 2 seconds like this is definitely what I experienced, although not just on the multiball. I guess I’ll need to get used to manhandling the cabinet a bit more.

Thalamus
                      @thalamus
                      ContributorMemberModerator

Yeah. I played some games this evening on it and sure – some games was ruined by “house-balls”, but all in all I found that most of the drains where after my own mistakes not hitting what I needed to. I think 32assassins made a great table here. There is one thing I’m extra aware of and that is if the ball comes from the bumpers on the left side. I make sure to shake the cab trying to prevent a common drainer to the left outlane. It might be that cranking up this tables “Difficulty” would improve it even a bit. I haven’t tried that yet.

LeChucksBeard
                      Participant
                        @lechucksbeard

Yes, it’s possible. It might just need a bit more randomness to it.

HauntFreaks
                          @hauntfreaks
                          vipContributorMember

man i wish you guys lived around me so my broad could unleash a can of whoopass on ya’s…  LOL

TNT2
                          Participant
                            @tnt2

Just got a chance to play 2.2. Excellent work all!

The Loafer
                            Participant
                              @theloafer

For those considering changes to the EATPM table to help with ramp shots, etc… just a suggestion :):  http://vpinball.com/forums/topic/improving-your-skills-with-vpx-games-and-real-pinball/

LeChucksBeard
                              Participant
                                @lechucksbeard

Thanks, but no need for help with ramp shots or ball control personally, just wanted to make a comment, as for me this plays different from quite a few other tables, and I was surprised by the repetitive aspect of those drains. But as I said, it might just be how this table is and nothing to do with the VPX version. No need to turn a valid comment into a “you don’t know how to play” remark. I don’t make any physics changes to any table and just play them as they are.

HauntFreaks
                                  @hauntfreaks
                                  vipContributorMember

I’m hoping that nothing is being changed at all “IF” your playing this for the GOTW…. again I will point of my wife is a a good players, and shes nailing all the shots…. i’m a crappy player and am also not having an issue with the shots , using the physics from 2.2….. i’m just wanted to be clear nothing should be touched for use in the GOTW

LeChucksBeard
                                  Participant
                                    @lechucksbeard

I don’t participate in the GOTW, or change the physics (I don’t have the experience for that). I’m not even that interested in the high scores nearly as much as just going through the modes and seeing things light up on the table. Yes, you can play with perfect control every time and “nail” the shots (there are some tables where I actually have to almost stop making the ramps on purpose to make it more interesting), although that’s not my idea of fun, but to each their own. This is besides the point though. I was surprised by the repetitive drainage and wanted to know if this was specific to the VPX version or if the original table is that way. The video that Thalamus posted confirms that it was designed that way. Starting at 0:56, 2 balls drain before the player gets to lay a flipper on any ball. I’ve seen them rapidly drain without even hitting the lower bumpers first. I suppose you could be shaking it like a prune tree. Anyway, as it seems like the VPX version is just following the original, the discussion is moot.

The Loafer
                                    Participant
                                      @theloafer

Thanks, but no need for help with ramp shots or ball control personally, just wanted to make a comment, as for me this plays different from quite a few other tables, and I was surprised by the repetitive aspect of those drains. But as I said, it might just be how this table is and nothing to do with the VPX version. No need to turn a valid comment into a “you don’t know how to play” remark. I don’t make any physics changes to any table and just play them as they are.

I put that disclaimer in there for a reason, no intention to offend.  There are lots of people that recently joined, including pin newbies so many aren’t aware of what pinball so awesome.  I’ve no idea what section the members fit in (newbie or experienced) so if you are experienced, then as I stated, that post isn’t meant for you at all.

Strictly my opinion on this table, there’s nothing wrong with that ramp shot.  We are of course allowed to agree to disagree.

You posted the following “there are some tables where I actually have to almost stop making the ramps on purpose to make it more interesting), although that’s not my idea of fun, but to each their own”.  I can’t agree more, see we are kindred spirits ;), seriously though a table that is too easy, well it’s nice to experience the different modes maybe once but there’s no reward factor and therefore won’t be played too often.  Sometimes tables play as per an author’s preferences, sometimes VP tables were not created to perfect specs (sometimes because documentation wasn’t available, not because of ill intent) so those ramps may be too wide which makes the shot easier.  There is so much involved in table create, well it’s beyond me how they get any tables done, kudos to the authors.

HauntFreaks
                                        @hauntfreaks
                                        vipContributorMember

that last post is a blanket post … no pointing fingers…
                                        if your looking for more random play, I suggest looking at the difficulty setting , start at 50
                                        what this does is makes the hit events have more of a scatter angle, this will also affect making shots , so there is a happy medium you will need to find…
                                        one of the complaints with VPX is some tables feel much easier than the real thing …. this setting can help with that as well…
                                        if you decide to play around… post back with your results

temp2

Attachments:
                                        LeChucksBeard
                                        Participant
                                          @lechucksbeard

Thanks, yeah, I’m aware of that setting, but was reluctant to tweak it as I’d rather play the tables as they are “supposed to be”. I’ll try and see what it does when I get a chance.

TNT2
                                          Participant
                                            @tnt2

that last post is a blanket post … no pointing fingers… if your looking for more random play, I suggest looking at the difficulty setting , start at 50 what this does is makes the hit events have more of a scatter angle, this will also affect making shots , so there is a happy medium you will need to find… one of the complaints with VPX is some tables feel much easier than the real thing …. this setting can help with that as well… if you decide to play around… post back with your results temp2

That’s one thing that eventually drove me to stop playing Pinball Arcade. Some tables were ridiculously easy. I could fall asleep and keep the ball in play.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 141 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?