Error reading PinballX database

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    byancey
    Participant
      @byancey

Longtime PinballX user, recent Pinup Popper dabbler…decided the latter wasn’t right for me.  I thought I’d give PinballY a shot this evening, but so far I’ve been unable to get it to import my tables and media from PinballX.  When I run PinballY the first time after install, I select the option to use the existing PinballX installation.  The results is the following error “The list of tables couldn’t be loaded due to the error(s) listed below.  Please refer to the instructions for help setting up your table lists.”  below that message is the following error string:

“Error loading game list file 並瞚ĵ (XML parsing error: expected element name)”.

I actually tried uninstalling and re-installing several times, and that gibberish bit that is supposed to be a file name is different each time.

My database works just fine with PinballX, and I’ve gone through all the files and validated the XML just to be safe.

Has anyone seen this error before, or have any idea what might be the cause?  Would really like to try out PinballY and it would be great if I could just use it against my existing PinballX setup.

Thanks.

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

I think you’ll do better to ask mjr over at VPF. This sounds like something he might be interested in and that it works in pbx and not pby.

rgarriott
        Participant
          @rgarriott

I had the same issue and never got it resolved.  From what iv seen Y doesn’t recognize any media that isn’t officially labeled from the pinball data base. I abandoned all my X media and made all new videos, they needed updating anyway.  Im no help on the subject but just wanted to tell ya my experience also.

Thalamus
            @thalamus

Don’t understand what you mean by officially labelled pinball db. Almost all my tables and media is put together by my own custom perl script into proper xml files and files named accordingly. Of course, valid xml files, and I had no issues, and still don’t – switching between PBX / PBY. :unsure:

byancey
            Participant
              @byancey

Just a quick follow-up.  I’m still not sure of the root cause, but rgarriott may have been on the right track with regard to the media naming.  I have been using the <game name>  field in the xml database to name my media rather than the <description> field.   PinballX seems to find media either way, but PinballY only seems to find media if it is named based on the <description> field.

In addition, I was not using the typical “table (manufacturer year)” format for the description field and none of my actual table data within the XML was correct.  I pretty much ignored manufacturer, year, and table type tags when adding tables, so they were either empty or wrong depending on where I copied a new entry from when adding new tables.

As my media and database was overdue for a naming re-haul, I bit the bullet and used PinX Check tool to update all my XML files with actual values from IPDB, and then renamed all my media to align with the “table (manufacturer year)” format in the <description> field.

After that process was completed, I reinstalled Pinball Y and the mysterious error from my initial post did not occur when reading in the PinballX database.  Just thought I’d provide that data point in case someone else encounters the same error.

Thalamus
                @thalamus

:good:- Yes, use description to make your tables unique. I have a weird naming scheme VPX__Firepower__SS__1980__Williams – makes it easy to manipulate. 4 categories and sub folders inside tables folder VPX, LMN, VP9, PM5.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?