Fire! (Williams 1987) VPX

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    DJRobX
      @djrobx
      MemberModerator

There is only one thing I dont like in VPX – unnatural backspin ;)

Yeah I agree, it seems like we need a setting to turn that specific effect down.   I played with a lot of things in the X-men LE table in particular, which suffers from this also.   In that table, it’s much more difficult because you have both magnets and turntable that add randomness and velocity to the ball.    The ball can get flung very hard against a sharp surface, which sometimes causes a ton of unnatural spin, that mostly goes unnoticed until it gets to the inlanes.

The only “solution” that seems to really help is to slow things down.

Tom Tower was asking for the ball spin to become scriptable, that might open some taming possibilities also.

nFozzy
      Participant
        @nfozzy

The flipper will put the most spin on the ball, but it’s going to lose all of it if hits something with a reasonable friction value. Ballspin issues are always from messed up object friction. For vp9 conversions, it’s best to reset all physics to default and then start over from there.

DJRobX
          @djrobx
          MemberModerator

The flipper will put the most spin on the ball, but it’s going to lose all of it if hits something with a reasonable friction value. Ballspin issues are always from messed up object friction. For vp9 conversions, it’s best to reset all physics to default and then start over from there.

I’m not sure what 32a did on this one, but on X-men LE, I selected every single wall, primitive, and ramp and set the values recommended in one of the VPF threads.  Still, every once in a while you’ll get this crazy spin that makes the right inlane seem like it’s  some kind of accelerator.  It’s less frequent after dialing down the magnets and turntables but still happens.  :(

DJRobX
            @djrobx
            MemberModerator

> but it’s going to lose all of it if hits something with a reasonable friction value

After reading this description I think I may understand what’s going on in X-men bit better.   I think what happens is the ball gets spin from the flippers, but never comes into contact with anything – the magnet + turntable deflect the ball without it ever contacting anything with friction.

Because the ball spin is not scriptable, when the ball is stopped by the magnet, the spin is not dissipated.   I’ve seen this problem in some other cases too – the kickback on WCS94 is another example. I ended up destroying and recreating the ball to get rid of the unwanted spin, because the ball wouldn’t eject consistently due to the spin.

wrd1972
            Participant
              @wrd1972
              MembervipContributor

I will add my HMLF physics to the table in a few days. ?

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Umpa
              Participant
                @umpa

I get a ball stuck when I try to go up the ladder. It has happened twice. Anyone else?

STAT
                Participant
                  @stefanaustria
                  MemberContributor

Had a few Games (and pers. HS 3.9M ;-)  ), but sorry no,
                  Ball rolls always up / or behind that, back to the left or right

DJRobX
                    @djrobx
                    MemberModerator

I have seen the ladder “trap” the ball if it comes down on top of it, but the table will eventually raise it to free it.   I haven’t seen it look like it does in your photo, interesting…

Mister Transistor
                    Participant
                      @mistertransistor

For some reason the flippers don’t work for me, no problems with other tables.  Using VPX Beta 10.4.0 rev 3224.  Do I need to enable or tweak something to get the fast flippers working?  TIA!

Jesperpark
                      Participant
                        @jesperpark

Try updating to the latest 10.4 beta which is 3242.  I seem to remember having a similar problem with this table and a beta around 3224 ish

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        Mister Transistor
                        Participant
                          @mistertransistor

That did it!  Thank you very much!!

TerryRed
                            @terryred
                            MemberContributorModerator

We actually have this table here in Ottawa Pinball Arcade. Really neat table, so I’m glad to see a VPX version! The only thing missing is the video of Mrs. randr doing the Fire! dance. :) That should be made into a fantasy B2S file…. haha!

@randr

Well…since PuP is now available….how about a PuP-Pack version instead!

edit:  I have an updated version on a newer reply in the thread.

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

This might make me actually stop dragging my feet and finally install this PuP player on the cab :)

********************************************************
                              Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                              for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                                @terryred

This might make me actually stop dragging my feet and finally install this PuP player on the cab :)

Just watch my install videos first…then you should have no problems…and since you don’t use a Pin2DMD I don’t think you’ll have any issues.

It’s a VERY simple PuP-Pack…but I’m sure you and the Misses will get a good laugh from it.

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

I’ll install it this weekend. I have to now ;)

for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

@randr

I just couldn’t resist…..

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

Awesome. But you should have had arngrims daughters original fire dance split screen to double the fun! That would have been perfect then! :)

for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                                        @terryred

Awesome. But you should have had arngrims daughters original fire dance split screen to double the fun! That would have been perfect then! :)

I can’t find his video…forgot where you linked it…

randr
                                        Keymaster
                                          @randr
                                          ModeratorMember

In my video description on you tube I link to his

for IOS and Android

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 117 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?