Firepower II (Williams 1983)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

I just replaced the version with size fix 5 min after you uploaded original. Haven’t done anything since…well at least with the download area :)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

BorgDog
      Participant
        @borgdog
        MemberContributorvip

Thanks for the update.

You have it set to hide some wrong stuff for cabinet mode. Lines 23 and 27 you have Primitive13, which is the apron, I think you want Ramp17, the lockdown bar.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Ben Logan2
        Participant
          @benlogan2

Played this a bunch tonight, Walamab. Thanks so much for the second table of the Firepower duo. Love ’em both!

You’re on a roll with table development. Totally appreciate your work.

RustyCardores
            @rustycardores
            MemberModerator

Wow this plays great.  Thank you very much! A couple of observations however…

• Rubber post “bumps” (I have a thing for them I know). The code is there for them, but they are too quiet for me to hear.
            • The red below the flippers I find quite bright.  Adding a slight gradient to the area just takes the edge off and makes it that little less distracting to the eye. The file is HERE if you are interested.

Thanks again for your awesome work. This is such a good time for VPX at the moment.  :good:

walamab
            Participant
              @walamab
              MemberContributor

Thanks for the suggestions I’ll take a look at them this evening. I may have to get some help on the volume question. Graphics update will obviously be easier :-).

Best Regards,

Walamab

Walamab
              Table Developer Wannabe and general arcade geek!

RustyCardores
                @rustycardores
                MemberModerator

Thanks for the suggestions I’ll take a look at them this evening. I may have to get some help on the volume question. Graphics update will obviously be easier :-). Best Regards, Walamab

I’ve simplified the sound code to do away with the variables and just made it so that the sound always fires. For the bumps which are just a low level background thing that you feel as well as hear, I personally find this approach works well, but others may wish to retain the variables.

If you look in the collections manager, you will see a collection named ‘Rubbers’. Click EDIT and you will then see the items contained within the collection. These items (provided that each have “Hit Event” enabled in the options) will fire the sound as per the following (simplified) code in the script (note that I am calling a different sound, I just like it better for bumps)…

Sub Rubbers_Hit(idx)
                PlaySound “rubber_hit_2”, 0, .25, Pan(ActiveBall), 0, Pitch(ActiveBall), 1, 0
                End Sub

.25 is the important number here, as that is the volume level. I have found inserting the number 1 here will give full volume, while .01 will give the lowest, before becoming inaudible with the 0 setting.  On my cab .25 is just right, but this will vary from cab to cab, from output device to output device. So perhaps .5 might be the best default “starting point” for all users?

Note that items may be added to the collection or removed. Collections can be renamed or even new additional collections can be created.  ie If you wanted a different set of rubbers to carry a different sound (lets call it ‘rubber_hit_10’), then a collection ‘Rubbers2’ can be created and only the items needed be placed within. Then the following Sub routine should be added to the script to call on the sound required…

Sub Rubbers2_Hit(idx)
                PlaySound “rubber_hit_10”, 0, .25, Pan(ActiveBall), 0, Pitch(ActiveBall), 1, 0
                End Sub

PLEASE NOTE: I do NOT know how to code and know bugger all regarding this issue. I have just “tinkered” with the above the create the sound I wanted from my cab. I am more than happy to be corrected, as I am here to learn. :)

RustyCardores
                  @rustycardores
                  MemberModerator

By the way… I added Lsling and Rsling to the Rubbers collection.  This gives a nice “bump” off the top of the slings where there is no kick.

Ben Logan2
                  Participant
                    @benlogan2

Anyone know how to get ball rolling sound working on this one? I’ve compared scripts with a few tables with working ball rolling sounds and I can’t track down the problem. A real mystery to me!

Rusty — Thanks for the tips. I made the changes you suggested. Really cool effect! I also ordered one of those contact speakers (I forget what they’re called – X something?) you suggested. Can’t wait for it to arrive from overseas.

Walamab. thanks again for a great table.

RustyCardores
                      @rustycardores
                      MemberModerator

Anyone know how to get ball rolling sound working on this one? I’ve compared scripts with a few tables with working ball rolling sounds and I can’t track down the problem. A real mystery to me!

Save a backup and then replace the attached code (see .txt file below) in your existing script.  It’s not stupendously loud, but it is there. It doesn’t help that FirePower is a constant noise maker.

You will see these lines of code…

Function Vol(ball) ‘ Calculates the Volume of the sound based on the ball speed
                      Vol = Csng(BallVel(ball) ^2 / 10)
                      End Function

I’m not sure what the ^2 does, but the 10 is associated with volume. Originally it was 2000 and I couldn’t hear anything, So I tried 0 …that crashed the script lol, so I tried 10 and could hear the rolling.  I tried as low as 0.1 but that didn’t seem to make it any louder.

Perhaps someone can chime in with what the ^2 means and if it can be used to help?

Also, I’m unsure of…

Const tnob = 3 ‘ total number of balls

How many balls should there be? I originally entered 14 as there are 14 rolling balls sounds in the sound manager (and there is meant to be one sound for each ball) but I thought those sounds might be a left over from another table?

Attachments:
                      RustyCardores
                        @rustycardores
                        MemberModerator

UPDATE: OK so I had a listen to the ball rolling volume in the sound manager and the files in this table are of a low volume to begin with. I reimported the rolling ball sound files from BOP and they are much louder now. On my cab a setting of 500 now seems sufficient. (Lower the number for more volume/increase the number for less)

Function Vol(ball) ‘ Calculates the Volume of the sound based on the ball speed
                        Vol = Csng(BallVel(ball) ^2 / 500)
                        End Function

BorgDog
                        Participant
                          @borgdog
                          MemberContributorvip

UPDATE: OK so I had a listen to the ball rolling volume in the sound manager and the files in this table are of a low volume to begin with. I reimported the rolling ball sound files from BOP and they are much louder now. On my cab a setting of 500 now seems sufficient. (Lower the number for more volume/increase the number for less) Function Vol(ball) ‘ Calculates the Volume of the sound based on the ball speed Vol = Csng(BallVel(ball) ^2 / 500) End Function

The only drawback with changing that particular line is that it raises the volume for all the hit sounds as well, rubbers, metals, etc as they all use that function.  Usually it is not an issue but if your other hit sounds now seem too loud that would be the reason.  If you wanted to only change the ball rolling sounds to be louder you could change the line in Sub RollingTimer_Timer that reads:

PlaySound(“fx_ballrolling” & b), -1, Vol(BOT(b) ), Pan(BOT(b) ), 0, Pitch(BOT(b) ), 1, 0

you can add a multiplier to the Vol(Bot(b)) to increase the volume like so

PlaySound(“fx_ballrolling” & b), -1, Vol(BOT(b) )*2, Pan(BOT(b) ), 0, Pitch(BOT(b) ), 1, 0

Oh, and the ^2 is raise to the power of 2, or squared as it were.

Ben Logan2
                          Participant
                            @benlogan2

Thanks guys. I’d tried all those usual methods for raising ball rolling sound. No luck. I’ll try again and see if I can pinpoint where I missed a step.

RustyCardores
                              @rustycardores
                              MemberModerator

Thanks Borgdog.

Is the multiplier a universal thing that could be used after other volume settings? … like after ,Vol(ActiveBall)*2  ?

BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

Thanks Borgdog. Is the multiplier a universal thing that could be used after other volume settings? … like after ,Vol(ActiveBall)*2 ?

Pretty much yeah, and I think there is a max that it recognizes for volume, but you could do *2 or *3 or whatever, you could even use something less than 1 if you want something quieter, so do a *0.5 to cut the volume in half.

RustyCardores
                                  @rustycardores
                                  MemberModerator

Thanks Borgdog. Is the multiplier a universal thing that could be used after other volume settings? … like after ,Vol(ActiveBall)*2 ?

Pretty much yeah, and I think there is a max that it recognizes for volume, but you could do *2 or *3 or whatever, you could even use something less than 1 if you want something quieter, so do a *0.5 to cut the volume in half.

Thanks again Borgdog,

I have made adjustments using the multiplier method and it is working great.

I have attached my current code in a .txt for anyone who is interested.  Please remember that I am using the louder BOP ball rolling sounds. If you chose not to import them, please adjust the multipliers in the code to your liking.

Also note that the ‘rubber bump’ code is now linked to ball speed. So the volume of bump now varies with speed, rather than being uniform as in my original code.

Sorry for the big detour Walamab, but I hope that you will find all this sound talk of use. :)

Attachments:
                                  Ben Logan2
                                  Participant
                                    @benlogan2

Got all sounds working thanks to you guys. :)   My ten year old and I had a great battle on Walamab’s table tonight. Thanks for the fun!

Naboodiver
                                    Participant
                                      @naboodiver

Ok.. I will say it up front I suck at pinball on a good day.    But I have to say that I can’t make the ramp shot or lock the ball off of these shorter flippers.     I have tried and tried to make the ramp.     The ball resting in the flipper, let it slide down to the very end and shoot..   not even close to making the ramp.

PaSSion
                                      Participant
                                        @adrian

Great work on the table guys ! :yahoo:

gavb73
                                        Participant
                                          @gavb73

Great recreation. Just love these 80’s tables.  Thank you

xantari
                                          Participant
                                            @xantari

B2S: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=9435

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?