Firepower (Vs A.I.)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Exlie
    Participant
      @exlie

Is difficulty how hard it will be to beat the AI?  In other words, does easy just mean that you might be able to able to beat the computer?  If you just have the computer (AI) playing, the difficulty basically just means, that the harder difficulty means they will get an insane amount of points. Am I understanding this correctly?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      The Loafer
      Participant
        @theloafer

I’m not sure of the exact increase in the “AI” between the levels but yeah, playing again AI at easy, you have a better chance at winning the game compared to playing the AI at higher skill level.  I gather it misses less shots.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        3rdaxis
        Participant
          @3rdaxis
          MemberContributor
          3rdaxis
          Participant
            @3rdaxis
            MemberContributor

Is difficulty how hard it will be to beat the AI? In other words, does easy just mean that you might be able to able to beat the computer? If you just have the computer (AI) playing, the difficulty basically just means, that the harder difficulty means they will get an insane amount of points. Am I understanding this correctly?

The difficulty of the A.I. works a lot like the difference between a novice and an expert player. On easy the computer won’t change the lanes to get “FIRE” it won’t try to cradle the ball or do fancy flipper passes, it just swings away at the ball. As the difficulty is increased it will start to do things like nudging the table and aiming for shots. Then on expert it will start to use strategy and prioritize the shots it goes for to get the maximum amount of points. And some things that even I don’t understand (Thanks to rothbauerw:) But there are no tricks, no hidden walls, changes to the physics or any helpers what so ever. It still plays the same table with the same physics and rules as you do and, on any difficulty whether it’s playing against you or another computer player.

STAT
            Participant
              @stefanaustria
              MemberContributor

Easy: much Beers and you think you are the AI ;-)

:good:

crazy4cab
              Participant
                @lorenzo
                Please JR show us a picture about the POV of your modify version.
                I’m so curious!!

I have two versions of this table in my cab. One I have the playfield undersized to expose the scrolling star-field hiding beneath. Looks like the table is floating in space. Very cool. And the intro music is a trip.

Glad this showed up on this site.

Thanks 3rdaxis!

robertms
                Participant
                  @mophead

Yay, another update! Translation: ready to get your ass kicked by a robot again? Thanks a lot @3rdaxis .. :rose:

P.S. ..how appropriate to play AI during social distancing, lol

JR
                  Participant
                    @jfr1
                    Please JR show us a picture about the POV of your modify version.
                    I’m so curious!!
                    FPPF
                    FPPoV

JR
                    Participant
                      @jfr1

Pic doesn’t do this justice as the star field in the background is moving.  The play-field feels like it’s floating in space!!

coreduo0099
                      Participant
                        @coreduo0099

Wow. had this table for a year an never tried playing against the AI.  Boy was I missing out.  Phenomenal!

htamas
                        Participant
                          @htamas
                          FPPF

Taking a photo of the real machine and claiming it as your POV screen shot is called cheating :-)

The Loafer
                          Participant
                            @theloafer

A sort of day off today so I’m enjoying playing some new and updated release.  Some comments on this table:

• I typically play on the pincab but sometimes when testing something in particular, I’ll try it on the desktop. This was a cool decision as I really enjoy the starfield but ESPECIALLY loved seeing the rotating Jupiter, superbly done and I’m really hoping @rawd takes a look at this for one of his future VR Room projects!
                            • The table is awesome.  Although I may have some preferences for less glass hits and correcting the orientation on that E light (you gotta figure I’ve gone some OCD going on here), really aesthetically you can’t change a damn thing as it screams “art” and therefore this is perfect as is
                            • The sound addons really fit well with the entire package, just top notch
                            • It shows this was a labor of love from people owning a real Firepower.  The backhand shot to the left kicker is spot on, the difficulty in hitting the middle-right kicker is also bang on. The ability to hit the top kicker is a little easy on this table (sometimes on my real one, I’d hit the side wall every few shots) but that’s probably because these flippers are akin to one that rolled off the factory floor so are very strong, while mine were not.  The reward of hitting the kickback targets is spot on… and so is the reward on a miss (straight down the middle or off the slings and down the outlanes… perfect!)

Overall comment: I used to own a firepower, was my first pin and I miss it, but this is so good I miss it a little less.  Plus I can play against the AI, couldn’t do that with mine

I am having one issue though:

• I can’t set the AI to anything but the default of EXPERT.  I took a look at the script and see it is set to “3” for expert but can’t tell if there is another setting that prevents the change once the table is loaded.  To be clear, this is from a fresh load of the table, I’ve not started any game as of yet, I am HOLDING down both flipper buttons and while holding down the buttons, I am tapping either of the magna save. I hear “EXPERT” identifying the current setting but am unable to change it.  Am I doing it wrong?  FYI I’m likely to leave it on expert as default, the AI is beatable but for newbies trying the pincab, they may want to roll away into a fetal position after the trashing and not play the pincab again lol

Excellent job.  Question:  Would it be correct to assume that although it’s problematic to convert the AI to a DMD game, this AI could be portable to other Williams System 6 tables? (Blackout, Gorgar, etc)

3rdaxis
                            Participant
                              @3rdaxis
                              MemberContributor

Thank you for the kind word and stellar review. Always nice to get feedback like this. It’s so useful.

Yes this was very much a labor of love. I have also owned several Firepower machines that I’ve painstakingly restored and loved.

As far as your problem I’m not sure. There is nothing to lock out the difficulty change in the script only the player set-up.

If Change_PlayerSetup = 1 it will override and lockout the option to change in-Game

But if you change “myPrefs_Difficulty=2 or 1” it should be that difficulty when you start the game.

Let me know.

The Loafer
                              Participant
                                @theloafer

Yeah I’ve tried it and can manually change the difficulty within the script no problem. I set it to easy and sure enough ai was not stopping the ball or aiming as well (really good job here) but I can’t change that manually within the game which from the instructions I gathered we can via the holding of the magna save buttons.  For example when I tried it with difficulty =1 I still could not change it via magna save but yeah it does change it as default to easy

thats still supposed to work on version 2.0 right?

can anyone else try and let me know if it works for them?

3rdaxis
                                Participant
                                  @3rdaxis
                                  MemberContributor

The Loafer wrote:

Excellent job.  Question:  Would it be correct to assume that although it’s problematic to convert the AI to a DMD game, this AI could be portable to other Williams System 6 tables? (Blackout, Gorgar, etc)

On a table that is of the same era as Firepower like Gorgar for example yes, it’s possible (possible meaning not too much work) But as far as DMD games…. I know it’s possible but it would take a ton of work and something that I very much doubt we will see anytime soon. In fact, Firepower Vs A.I. may just end up being the first and last of it’s kind. Hard to say.

3rdaxis
                                  Participant
                                    @3rdaxis
                                    MemberContributor

Yeah I’ve tried it and can manually change the difficulty within the script no problem. I set it to easy and sure enough ai was not stopping the ball or aiming as well (really good job here) but I can’t change that manually within the game which from the instructions I gathered we can via the holding of the magna save buttons. For example when I tried it with difficulty =1 I still could not change it via magna save but yeah it does change it as default to easy

that’s still supposed to work on version 2.0 right?

can anyone else try and let me know if it works for them?

Yes this should be working for you? You should in game, be able to hold down both flipper buttons then change the difficulty with the magna-save buttons.

Unless you mapped these buttons differently (which may be the issue)  it should work. Or maybe you’re using some sort of VPMModSol stuff? Make sure your vbs folder is up to date. And make sure you are running the most recent pinmame (3.2)

charlieshakur
                                    Participant
                                      @charlieshakur

is there music during gameplay as only hear sound effects have never been able to hear everything on this table any ideas

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

You try a new download of the rom? You maybe missing parts of it. Get rom from vpu

********************************************************
                                        Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                        for IOS and Android

********************************************************

3rdaxis
                                        Participant
                                          @3rdaxis
                                          MemberContributor

is there music during gameplay as only hear sound effects have never been able to hear everything on this table any ideas

No, it only plays music before and after gameplay but your not the first person to ask me about this so mayby I’ll put in an option to play the music the entire time. At least it will keep me busy:) Keep the suggestions and questions coming everyone. So glad you are all enjoying this.

JR
                                          Participant
                                            @jfr1

Um…there’s a rotating Jupiter under there somewhere??

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 122 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?