Firepower (Williams 1981) WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    walamab
    Participant
      @walamab
      MemberContributor

does anyone happen to have a I resolution scan of the Firepower play field? I used the only complete one I could find and did a bit of doctoring in Photoshop but I can fix the low resolution.

I’ve have a hi-rez scan but it looks horible and is missing a section. I’ve tried to “repair” it with no luck.

Thanks!

Walamab

Walamab
      Table Developer Wannabe and general arcade geek!

RustyCardores
        @rustycardores
        MemberModerator

Commenting out 149-155 creates a new error relating a Line 1 Type miss-match.

Commenting out line 151 on it’s own solves the issue however.

Cheers for the help.

RustyCardores
          @rustycardores
          MemberModerator

does anyone happen to have a I resolution scan of the Firepower play field? I used the only complete one I could find and did a bit of doctoring in Photoshop but I can fix the low resolution. I’ve have a hi-rez scan but it looks horible and is missing a section. I’ve tried to “repair” it with no luck. Thanks! Walamab

I don’t have one, but it’s mainly the JPG artifacting in the red strikes that are most obvious. I have to head out today, but I might have a play in Photoshop when I get home tonight and see what improvements I can make. (although someone will have probably provided a new file by then)

Ben Logan2
          Participant
            @benlogan2

Walamab,

Thanks for Firepower. I love this table — one of the all time great simple rulesets that never seems to get old. Super choice on your part for a build.

Here are some tweaks I made for my own personal use. Your mileage may vary, of course! I played Firepower a bunch at Pinagogo in Dixon earlier this year, but honestly haven’t had access to a real one for months. I was trying to get your table to play the way that one was set up:

Adjusted the flipper angle to be in line with the inlane guides. Lowered the table slope to 5.7. Set plunger strength to 80. Set flipper strength to 2000. Lowered pop bumper strength to 10.

Not saying that the Firepower I played at Pinagogo was the holy grail of Firepowers, but these simple changes brought your nice table pretty close to being in line with the way the dude had his real one set up in Dixon.

Thanks again. Totally appreciate your work. What a fun table!

:)

walamab
            Participant
              @walamab
              MemberContributor

does anyone happen to have a I resolution scan of the Firepower play field? I used the only complete one I could find and did a bit of doctoring in Photoshop but I can fix the low resolution. I’ve have a hi-rez scan but it looks horible and is missing a section. I’ve tried to “repair” it with no luck. Thanks! Walamab

I don’t have one, but it’s mainly the JPG artifacting in the red strikes that are most obvious. I have to head out today, but I might have a play in Photoshop when I get home tonight and see what improvements I can make. (although someone will have probably provided a new file by then)

That would be great if you have time ;). I’m going to try to do work on it too. I thought I might tackle stitching a bunch of high resolution photos together. Or even start from scratch in Illustrator and make a vector based graphic that can be scaled.

Walamab

walamab
              Participant
                @walamab
                MemberContributor

Walamab, Thanks for Firepower. I love this table — one of the all time great simple rulesets that never seems to get old. Super choice on your part for a build. Here are some tweaks I made for my own personal use. Your mileage may vary, of course! I played Firepower a bunch at Pinagogo in Dixon earlier this year, but honestly haven’t had access to a real one for months. I was trying to get your table to play the way that one was set up: Adjusted the flipper angle to be in line with the inlane guides. Lowered the table slope to 5.7. Set plunger strength to 80. Set flipper strength to 2000. Lowered pop bumper strength to 10. Not saying that the Firepower I played at Pinagogo was the holy grail of Firepowers, but these simple changes brought your nice table pretty close to being in line with the way the dude had his real one set up in Dixon. Thanks again. Totally appreciate your work. What a fun table! :)

Thanks for the post. The update I’m working on now actually tries to address the physics of the table. I have access to one but had to replace some fuses to get it fired up. The first thing I modified was the jet bumper force. I think the table tilt modification is a great idea. I’ll incorporate it too and look into the flipper angles. I didn’t realize they weren’t aligned. Also I have replaced my home grown animated targets with VPX round target objects. Thanks to HauntFreak for enlightening me on how to modify the image wrapper.

I should have the update out this weekend. I may even try to work in a higher resolution play-field (maybe)

Thanks!

Walamab

RustyCardores
                  @rustycardores
                  MemberModerator

Can you supply me a copy of the playfield image please, I’ve been unable to export it. For some reason the file keep truncating :(

btw… could these resources not come from earlier versions of Firepower? Previous authors may be happy to contribute to this new VPX version ;)

walamab
                  Participant
                    @walamab
                    MemberContributor

Ok, Here is v1.01. It is almost a complete overhall. I reworked the physics, lighting and someof the graphics. And, I found a MUCH better playfield image. I fired up the real machine at the in-laws and this version plays fairly close to the real thing (IMHO). I fixed all of the bugs that people told me about and was able to reduce the file size substantially.

I appreciate the advice from RustyCardores and HauntFreak. This is a much better version because of their help.

Enjoy and let me know if you run into problems with it.

Firepowerv1.0.1

Walamab

Attachments:
                    HauntFreaks
                      @hauntfreaks
                      vipContributorMember

I would make a few more adjustment….
                      go in the the materials manager, edit “Plastic with Image” , set the opacity to .999  <—this will allow the plastics to let the GI lights glow thru
                      also select all the GI lighting set the moderate to .998  and turn the intensity up to like 8 <—this will remove the haze from the lights

Attachments:
                      1 user thanked author for this post.
                      walamab
                      Participant
                        @walamab
                        MemberContributor

Here is v1.0.2 with lighting adjustments from HauntFreaks. Subtle changes make a big difference visually. Thanks for the help and input!

I also added the vpm.Timer.pulseSw commands to the slingshots so they should work in DOF now. I now know to fully test on my cabinet and not just on my PC.

Keep the inputs coming.

Thanks!

Walamab

Attachments:
                        Bob Albright
                        Participant
                          @bobalbright

Thank you for this table. I love Firepower—and the new version plays just fine–doesn’t have the problem about which I posted earlier. Maybe Firepower2 next? Hint Hint

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

walamab
                          Participant
                            @walamab
                            MemberContributor

I suppose I could do Firepower II. I started collecting “stuff” to do Whirlwind to learn how to do more advanced things with VPX (i.e. turntables and ramps). FP2 would let me learn the ramps and might actually a more incremental step in my “learning process”. I’ll give it serious thought.

Thanks

Walamab

RustyCardores
                              @rustycardores
                              MemberModerator

Thanks for this table. It’s been one of the missing links in my evolution from a VP9 player to a VPX whore. :)

I’ve had a play in Photoshop and tidied up the apron a little by merging the two versions that you have used so far.  For some reason it displays a little darker on my cab, even though I have not changed the luminosity…. Dunno what’s going on there??  But it doesn’t matter, as I like aprons that don’t get in my face.

Here it is just in case you can do something with it… https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8504136/Pinball/apronphoto.png

EDIT: Actually, I did change the baseline black to that it would fill in, so that would have effected all of it I guess, so here is one where I have pulled the levels a little to make it a bit brighter…. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8504136/Pinball/apronphoto_BRIGHT.png  I’ve got to go out to the Doc’s now and will test it when I get home.

RustyCardores
                                @rustycardores
                                MemberModerator

Thanks for this table. It’s been one of the missing links in my evolution from a VP9 player to a VPX whore. :) I’ve had a play in Photoshop and tidied up the apron a little by merging the two versions that you have used so far. For some reason it displays a little darker on my cab, even though I have not changed the luminosity…. Dunno what’s going on there?? But it doesn’t matter, as I like aprons that don’t get in my face. Here it is just in case you can do something with it… https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8504136/Pinball/apronphoto.png EDIT: Actually, I did change the baseline black to that it would fill in, so that would have effected all of it I guess, so here is one where I have pulled the levels a little to make it a bit brighter…. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8504136/Pinball/apronphoto_BRIGHT.png I’ve got to go out to the Doc’s now and will test it when I get home.

Ok I don’t understand why the “resaved” images present darker??  Perhaps someone could steer me in the right direction here. Cheers

RustyCardores
                                  @rustycardores
                                  MemberModerator

I just noticed that my flippers and bumpers stay active after the game has finished. I just had my best play yet using the balls ejected from the locks.

I can only imagine that my score must have been in the high BAZILLIONS!!!!! Beat that if you can ;) lol

walamab
                                  Participant
                                    @walamab
                                    MemberContributor

I just noticed that my flippers and bumpers stay active after the game has finished. I just had my best play yet using the balls ejected from the locks.

I can only imagine that my score must have been in the high BAZILLIONS!!!!! Beat that if you can ;) lol

I’ll look into fixing that :)

Walamab

walamab
                                    Participant
                                      @walamab
                                      MemberContributor

I’ll look into fixing that :)

Ok This version makes the flippers behave as they should after the game ends…Sorry Rusty…no more BAZILLION point games :(. Seriously though…thanks for plaything this and letting me know when you find issues.

I called it 1.0.2b because it is a very minor change.

Enjoy

Walamab

RustyCardores
                                        @rustycardores
                                        MemberModerator

I’m really enjoying playing this… I’ve missed FirePower so much.  (Yes I know that it’s in my VP9, but I’m a VPX whore now remember)

I just noticed then however, that the shield doesn’t always save the ball in the left lane, even though the shield light is on.

walamab
                                        Participant
                                          @walamab
                                          MemberContributor

I’m really enjoying playing this… I’ve missed FirePower so much. (Yes I know that it’s in my VP9, but I’m a VPX whore now remember)

I just noticed then however, that the shield doesn’t always save the ball in the left lane, even though the shield light is on.

I’ve noticed that too and have been trying to figure out how to correct it. The real machine I have access does that occasionally too but that’s just because it’s old. I’ll keep trying to fix it and post an update when I figure it out.

Thanks!

Walamab

walamab
                                          Participant
                                            @walamab
                                            MemberContributor

I’m really enjoying playing this… I’ve missed FirePower so much. (Yes I know that it’s in my VP9, but I’m a VPX whore now remember)

OK.. so I reworked the code on the kicker a bit. I’ve tested it every way I know how and it seems to work as it should (every time). Please give this version a go and let me know if it still doesn’t act right.

Thanks

and I included your updated apron image. I liked it much better. Thanks!

Walamab

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?